3 Guinea Pigs looking for home in Toronto Ontario

Brianna
Forum Fan Club

Post   » Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:42 am

In this case she definitely purposely euthenized my cat. Another story a few years earlier..I went to Seattle every summer to see my dad. Well this summer, of course, mom said she didn't want the cat. One of my friends was willing to have the cat over the summer. I brought Boo over there and asked about her every few days and everyone said she was fine. Well I came home at the end of the summer and asked about Boo at the airport. The friend and my mom was there to meet me. They told me at that time that the week after I left, Boo ran out when they had the door open and they hadn't seen her since. Well now it's been 2 months later. I was FURIOUS!!! After coming home, I took the car over to the apartments, got out of the car and as soon as I said "Here Boo, come here kitty", she ran out of some bushes and jumped on me. She held onto my chest the entire time I was driving home. When I got home, I went inside and saw my mom's reaction that I got my cat back. I told her not to ever touch my cat EVER again! She didn't until a few years later when I went to college. It makes me mad now even thinking about it.
I'm glad HF is looking to find another home for her pigs. Hopefully the pigs will be treated better than her family members would do.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:45 am

Wow, that is the pits. I'm so glad you found your cat that time. I can't express how awful it was that your cat was euthanized. No animal or daughter deserves that.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:49 am

I'm sorry to hear what your mom did to you Briana. Unfortunately, I can identify. When I went to college one day I was on the bus on my way to a final exam reading mail from home on the way. I received a card from my mom with a letter inside telling me she and my dad bought me a used car that was waiting for me when I returned home. The next sentence was something like this "we hope this will take the place of not having your cat anymore". UGH! My brothers and I had become allergic to out cat but she didn't even give me a chance to find him a home. I am sure she put him into a shelter. I never asked because she told me a lie for sure about giving him to a friend who moved to Arizona with him.

I hope that you can find a friend to take your guinea pigs. It's sad that your mom and brother have turned their backs on you. I wouldn't trust them now if they do change their mind.

Joanna

Post   » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:05 pm

I guess you can't trust your family to look after them, but what about this trusted friend?
As you will be in college for several years, so it will be difficult to have them. I am assuming no animals are allowed at the residence? Some colleges have fairly large dorm rooms. Is that something you could look into? I know many people who have SEVERAL animals in apartments where no pets are allowed. Just a thought...

hammer
Supporter in '10

Post   » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:15 pm

Susie, I agree that things can be made to work, and Hifi should definately have considered school before getting her pigs (only a few months before).

However, I am going to disagree with you on the appartment/residence thing. Appartments may well be cheaper/equal price, however, it is much more difficult. Residence is a place where everything is still taken care of for you, except maybe your phone bill, you are surrounded by like-minded people, and its a very important step between living at home and total independence.

A lot of kids I know would've dropped out of university if they had to manage an appartment (heat/hydro bills, groceries, maintenance) in first year. That year of co-dependant living was a lifesaver for them, and gave them some more time to mature.

SusieQ
Scrapbook Addict

Post   » Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:24 pm

I don't know. I guess it depends on the person. I hated residence; I lived in a dorm full of immature idiots who preferred to spend all their time going out drinking and running down the hallways at 4am screaming. Not my idea of fun.

I counted the days until my contract was up and I was able to move out. Personally, I don't see much of a benefit in residence living but I can understand how some people would.

hammer
Supporter in '10

Post   » Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:00 pm

I wasn't cut out for res either, really (I worked weekends, and the Friday night parties really bugged me sometimes). Plus I had the roomate from hell (or was I the roomate from hell?). But the fact that all I had to worry about was my phone bill and getting to class was nice.

Plus, I made a lot of really good friends and really came out of my shell. I was the dorky little gifty who ended up being an extroverted political activist, and I don't think that would have happened if I hadn't been thrust into a large group of people, many of whom I didn't like a whole lot.

SusieQ
Scrapbook Addict

Post   » Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:09 pm

I kinda wish I'd met people. I have exactly one friend I met through university.

I didn't really get along with my dormies, and classes were too big to make friends. Seemed like everyone was already in cliques at day one.

bebesush

Post   » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:37 am

I don't know about other universities but York was such a big fashion fest. First year I really wanted to fit in so I was like everyone else, nicely clothed and hair well done and all. Then, the next few years, I just gave up. Sweat pants, ponytailed hair and no makeup. Lets just say I finished school while everyone else is still partying it up and wasting time. Thank god I didn't live in res cause I don't think I can put up with all those people.

hammer
Supporter in '10

Post   » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:42 am

Ha! I was in engineering at Mac. Plus, I worked at the bookstore and got 33% off all the clothes. By the end of my fifth year I don't think I owned an article of clothing that wasn't stretchy (and not sexy stretchy) or didn't have McMaster written on it. Engineering students barely have time to get dressed at all, let alone dress up.

I sometimes noticed the "other side" of campus, the arts kids, were looking a wee bit more presentable, but they just thought we were weird anyway, so ah well.

ellenvega
Skol Pigs!

Post   » Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:39 pm

It was like that for me too, SusieQ. Luckily I made a few friends there that remain so to this day. If I had to do it all over again there's a lot of things I'd do differently.

HiFi, good luck to you. You've said you've found a friend who will care for them? Maybe after the first year you can move out to an apartment with some friends and have your pigs back. There's no point in berating yourself for having gotten the pigs in the first place when you knew you were going off to college. What's done is done and the future welfare of your pigs should be the concern now.

cavyravy

Post   » Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:26 pm

I had bought the piggies with them having promised that while I'm gone they would care for them
You should not have bought the guinea pigs without full intent to take responsibility, at that, why not one and not three?

Salana
Of course, so is making stuff up to cover up for not wanting to take responsibility for your actions, but whatever.
That is what I think. First off, HiFi, types because as "cos" so that tells me she's still in the teenie chat years.

Etta Mae
Guys- If you start a battle with everyone who wants to rehome their pigs, lurkers will be scared off and will have no desire to post their own needy pigs.

It's for THE PIGS! THE PIGS!
I think this is the major point. Even though HiFi seems to be handing off responsibility, she is still being considerate and responsible of the pigs by trying to find them a GOOD new home. That is the most important thing. She could have easily handed them into a pet store or put an ad in the newspaper...."Free to Good Home!"

I think its great that she is coming on here and trying to get someone who actually cares.

She is going to school, doesn't have much money, which means vet care is out of the question. I think this should incline people to help her out and respect her for that and not try to convince her in keeping them.

52 posts