80+ pigs seized in Ottawa, ON...

Christal

Post   » Tue May 11, 2004 6:57 pm

If anyone can help these pigs, please call the Ottawa Humane society 613-725-3166.

Evangeline

Post   » Tue May 11, 2004 6:59 pm

Any other info you can share?

Christal

Post   » Tue May 11, 2004 7:04 pm

Sorry I am searching for info. It was in the media this morning. I know they are looking for adopters as well as donations. Nothing on their website yet.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue May 11, 2004 8:01 pm

Perhaps you could call and find out the status? Unfortunately, numbers of pigs are sometimes put down immediately in large seisures and they decide who is "adoptable". I hope this is not the case for these pigs.

Christal

Post   » Tue May 11, 2004 8:06 pm

Here is the link from the website(I did find the info)

They will not be put down yet. They appear to be in good condition (some have parasites). They are not adoptable yet. Call to put your name on the list.

http://www.ottawahumane.ca/press_releases/may04.html

SusieQ
Scrapbook Addict

Post   » Tue May 11, 2004 8:34 pm

Shit. I may be able to help if anyone in the Torontoish area wants to adopt. I have a friend who drives to Ottawa every few weeks.

I can't take any.

Christal

Post   » Wed May 12, 2004 9:09 pm

I just got back from the shelter. I dropped off some supplies. Please if you can't adopt, you can still help. I think they need fresh vegetables the most.

melcvt00

Post   » Thu May 13, 2004 6:36 am

Donations of mainly carrots and apples, eh? They still have learning to do.

savycavy_

Post   » Thu May 13, 2004 7:14 pm

I can't believe this story made my little local news paper in Manitoba. Apparently the numbers are growing with the 85th piggie being born yesterday. And I'd imagine that that is just the beginning.

Evangeline

Post   » Thu May 13, 2004 8:40 pm

Of 80 pigs, there are probably around 40 sows, and assuming half of them are pregnant (that's very conservative) and have 3 babies each (again, conservative), you're up to 140 pigs. I bet the reality is close to 175.

cavyravy

Post   » Thu May 13, 2004 8:44 pm

Who were the pigs seized from? Breeder?

Karen
Slug Whisperer

Post   » Fri May 14, 2004 10:11 am

I heard about this story to in BC from a co-worker of mine. She came up to me (knowing I'm a pig person) and said she heard it on the radio on the drive into work but she missed where it was.

VMOUSE1970
Supporter in '05

Post   » Fri May 14, 2004 11:46 am

Do you think they will let me foster a couple of pregnant piggies? I could donate food, hay, etc. But I am willing to be a helping hand.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Fri May 14, 2004 1:19 pm

You should ask.

Christal, did you bring them the Guinealynx care sheet? They are predominanty a dog/cat facility, so it might really help to have copies for the staff.

Apparently it was a collector.

SusieQ
Scrapbook Addict

Post   » Fri May 14, 2004 5:02 pm

VMouse- if they do, I may be able to help with transportation at least partway.

SusieQ
Scrapbook Addict

Post   » Tue May 25, 2004 5:37 pm

Anyone heard more about these poor guys?

AliceMcmallis
Supporter in '08

Post   » Wed May 26, 2004 10:27 am

They've got a bunch posted on http://www.petharbor.com/ (to see them, enter L as zip code, then search radius of 200 miles, then check Ottawa). Apparently they've got a bunch of texels! Two are listed as such, one is listed as a rex, and a few are listed as abbys. I do hope these guys don't get in the hands of breeders.

I wish there was something I could do, but the rescue just took in four more gps that were scheduled for euth at a local animal control. We just don't have any room, and I know Hamilton Guinea Rescue is full too.

SusieQ
Scrapbook Addict

Post   » Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:24 am

There are only 5 pigs left posted. I wonder what happened to them all? No way they adopted out so many pigs so quickly.

savycavy_

Post   » Sun Jun 13, 2004 3:43 pm

That Textel looks like a doll. I wish I was closer. Anybody road tripping west?

VMOUSE1970
Supporter in '05

Post   » Sun Jun 13, 2004 4:17 pm

I like that rex.

21 posts