URGENT-CA-PHS Shelter (Bay Area)

Jin

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2002 3:19 pm

Briana (from what I understand) is leaving San Fransisco, and driving as far as Wendover Utah, via I-80. I will be leaving New Castle, CO and meeting her in Wendover.

If someone could meet Briana somewhere in between SF and Wendover, and bring them further East and meet me, it would certainly help a great deal. Even getting them as far East as Salt Lake City cuts about 3 1/2 hours of driving time for me. (244 miles!) Every little bit helps both of us.

As I understand it, this will be on the 5th (and possibly the 6th) of July.

pigpal

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2002 4:07 pm

Since I´m in SF too I can´t really help ease the driving burden for Briana, but I will be doing a second piggy train in a couple of weeks, heading north through Oregon and Washington to British Columbia. We still need more offers of homes along this route, even a couple of pigs here and there would help!

Thank you SO much Jin for taking so many of the pigs and Briana for volunteering to drive. I went in to evaluate the Mom and 5 babies at PHS yesterday. The babies are ADORABLE, little fluffballs, mostly roan/white Abby types, one Texel type coat (all females) and a gorgeous red male, who has longer hair. The lethal white is also a female Abby, she has just one upper incisor, no lower incisors and appears to be blind although the eyes are a normal size. I was surprised to see her eating pellets without too much difficulty, but she will undoubtedly have more problems as time goes on. They´re just little ´uns 8-9 oz each one.

Incidentally, there are now even more pigs that came in to PHS in the last couple of days, including a very handsome young male TSW Peruvian.

Many thanks again to Jin and Briana (and everyone else who is helping out).

briana d

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2002 4:57 pm

Okay lets see, this is what I´m thinking my route will be. Leave Monterey, CA then stop by T´s and pick up the 6 PHS piggies. From there I will be getting in I-80 thw whole way. In Nevada I´ll be passing close by Carson City, Reno, Winnemucca, Battle Mountain and Elko which leads me to Wendover, Utah. It´s still in the planning process.

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2002 5:34 pm

You guys are awesome!!! I am in awe. Lucky piggers!!

briana d

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2002 6:45 pm

Teresa, any word on the condition on the lethal at PHS?

Teresa

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2002 7:11 pm

Pigpal says he is eating pellets, but not hay. As soon as they will release the pigs to me, I´ll go get them and see what I can get him to eat. Hopefully, sometime Monday.

pigpal

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2002 9:56 pm

T. she´s a girl! She´s a little underweight and will obviously not be able to tear and eat veggies by herself. Not sure if she can handle hay, I didn´t see her eat any. I believe they´re still nursing and I think after weaning the feeding/nutrition problems will really start to show.

The one incisor is overgrown and pointed, not chisel edged like normal incisors because there´s nothing for it to wear against. It´s not causing difficulties at the moment, but I can foresee it needing to be trimmed to prevent it growing down and injuring the lower jaw. The Humane Society vet offered to put her out to look at the molars but I don´t think that´s a good idea right now.

She is very sweet and easy to handle.

Teresa

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2002 9:57 pm

whoops. I´m getting tired. Didn´t check my notes first.

Jin

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2002 10:36 pm

Oh! I can´t wait to see the little girl! I´m making an appointment tomorrow to get her in to the vet after she´s here. We´ll get her the very best care available here, and she´ll be loved and cared for as long as she´s with us.

Teresa

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2002 10:39 pm

Oh geez. Now you´re going to make me cry.

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2002 11:30 pm

Me too!!

briana d

Post   » Mon Jul 01, 2002 12:08 am

Think how hard it´s going to be for me to give her to her! I know she´s going to be on mine and my husbands lap the whole time making sure she eats!! hehe