L.A. area shelter pigs for adoption

Charybdis

Post   » Wed May 26, 2004 1:19 am

These are pigs in the following shelters in and around L.A. :

2 females at Orange County AC (High Kill)
2 boars at Santa Monica
1 boar at Baldwin Park (High Kill)
2 babies at West Valley
2 at Ventura
3 at Carson Valley -- 1 boar and 2 sows

Some of these pigs are pictured on our website: http://www.cavyhaven.org/shelter.htm

If you are looking to adopt a guinea pig in your area, please check the shelters first.

If there is a shelter in your area, please consider volunteering your time to help care for the animals. Many small animals in shelters do not receive proper care.

Please publicize the existence of small animals in the shelters in any way that you can. Most people do not know that shelters have guinea pigs, rabbits, and other "exotics."

Charybdis

Post   » Thu May 27, 2004 1:01 am

Ah, lovely Baldwin Park Shelter.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu May 27, 2004 1:04 am

Those poor buns. They need a nestbox, of course. I hope they don't break all of their legs.... How depressing.

Charybdis

Post   » Thu May 27, 2004 1:07 am

Here is the boar available for adoption at Baldwin Park. Thanks to Jezza for going down there and getting the photo.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Thu May 27, 2004 1:10 am

Are those skinnies?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu May 27, 2004 1:21 am

Skinnies with long ears and cotton ball tails?

SusieQ
Scrapbook Addict

Post   » Thu May 27, 2004 1:22 am

They're so tiny! How old are they, do you think?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu May 27, 2004 1:23 am

I don't know buns that well...

Chary? A couple of weeks? Are they that old?

Pigglies

Post   » Thu May 27, 2004 1:28 am

I thought they looked about a week old? Fuzzies and with unopened eyes, wouldn't that be at about a week? At a few weeks they'd have more hair and open eyes I thought.

Jezza said she didn't know how old they were, didn't say at the shelter I guess. She put them in another space with towels since their feet were getting caught.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu May 27, 2004 1:40 am

If they open their eyes at two weeks, that sounds about right. That's about the time frame for puppies and kittens, too.

Poor buns. A week old, huh?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu May 27, 2004 12:58 pm

This is the last time I can do this for a little while, but 10 lbs. APD timothy will be donated to a qualified adopter for him. Feel free to use that as an incentive on your website.

This is where the butt hair snatcher works, correct? I'd like to see someone grab some of her ... okay, let's not go there.

MommyofGus

Post   » Thu May 27, 2004 1:23 pm

Oh my goodness! I have never seen baby buns! Look at those tails!

Chary, is it just me, or does CA have a raging problems with pigs at shelters? Is it the area? I'm just curious as to why there seem to be SO many in that area particularly.

Charybdis

Post   » Thu May 27, 2004 5:43 pm

Talishan, that's kind of you. Remember that there will always be more.

MommyofGus, it is true that southern Ca has big problems with small animals in their shelters. Most of the shelters do not properly care for their guinea pigs, buns, etc. by a long shot. In most instances the big danger is not so much euthanasia (although most do this) as starvation, malnutrition, and disease from poor living conditions. Pigglies and I have been working on publicizing this in various ways.

Our biggest obstacle right now is not having enough people to go into the shelters and feed the pigs. That, and not having anyone to lobby at the city and county level for raising the adoption price (2$) and changing the length of time that exotics are allowed to stay at shelters before adoption.

jennylynn
GL Junkie

Post   » Thu May 27, 2004 5:56 pm

That board reminds me a little of CP's Rocky. I hope someone gets him out of there.

And those poor baby buns! Can the shelter directors not see that wire flooring is NOT good for them?
I wish that a news station would do some kind of under-cover story on them and bust them. Shelters are supposed to RESCUE animals from suffering, not subject them to it.

MommyofGus

Post   » Fri May 28, 2004 8:15 am

So the shelters are horrible...but why are there so many in the shelters? Does CA have a higher breeding rate?

I know that you and piggles do an AWESOME job...it may seem exhausting and worthless at times, but never give up!

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Fri May 28, 2004 11:09 am

CA is home to lots of superficial, inconsiderate snot heads who dont give a crap. They see, they like, they buy. They stop liking, they toss away.

MommyofGus

Post   » Fri May 28, 2004 11:24 am

At least there are a few non-snot head who care!

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Fri May 28, 2004 11:28 am

Too few, unfortunately.

Charybdis

Post   » Fri May 28, 2004 2:52 pm

why are there so many in the shelters

Down here, there aren't. Los Angeles is the largest city in California and the second-largest urban area in the nation. There are 9.8 million people in the L.A. county. There are 2.9 million people in Orange County (2002 census estimates).

There are less than 20 guinea pigs in the shelters as far as we know. True, most shelters euthanize them on sight so we have no way of knowing what the 'real' numbers are. At any given time, barring large dumps, this is usually the number. Problem is, there is one guinea pig rescue for 12 million people. Some of the rabbit rescues take in guinea pigs and some of the dog/cat rescues will take in one or two. Still, we can't take in 20 per week so if I don't publicize them they most likely will die, if not by euthanasia then by starvation or disease.

It is the treatment of the few guinea pigs in the shelters that is the problem here.

Rabbits, on the other hand, fill the shelters in both counties. Every single shelter is full of rabbits. Hundreds in the shelters, hundreds in the rescues, hundreds dumped in parks. There are 4 major rabbit rescues out here that I know of, and they do a great job of taking care of them in the shelters, even getting a spay and neuter program established in the L.A. city shelters. Except for the few shelters who have slipped under the radar (like Carson Valley), buns are much better protected in the shelters (by rescues) than guinea pigs. The problem there is numbers.

However, according to the rabbit rescues I know, the buns in shelters will not get fed regularly, have clean cages, nor be offered hay or vegetables either unless the volunteers go there almost every day. And if a small animal is sick, they are euthanized rather than treated, in the majority of shelters.

MommyofGus

Post   » Fri May 28, 2004 4:16 pm

OK. I guess because you are always making us aware of them, it just seems like so many.

33 posts