Pups looking for a home in Ohio

trixiesmom

Post   » Wed May 26, 2004 2:18 pm

My recently adopted girl, Trixie, just had a littler of 3 pups. We knew she was pregnant when we got her. I believe there are 2 girls (one white abyssinian and one red & white abyssinian) and one boy who is smooth haired, and grayish brown with several small white spots. Sorry I don't have photo's yet, but I'm working on it. We cannot keep all of them, so I'm starting to look for a forever home for them. They won't be able to leave their mommy for a few weeks, but I really want to place them in good homes. We live just North of Cincinnati in Fairfield.

KJE

Post   » Wed May 26, 2004 2:29 pm

trixiesmom, hey, I'm in Fairfield too! If you can't place the pigs, I know of a GREAT guinea pig rescue that's near Louisville, KY. I foster pigs for the rescue. Also, if you need any help sexing the babies or building a bigger cage, let me know and I'll help in any way I can. I'd love to see the babies!

Do you have them in a C&C cage? If so, you will need baby-proof it so the babies can't fit through the grids. You can go here www.cavycages.com to read more about it.

Let me know if you would like my help! It's nice to finally see someone on here that's close to me!

Edited to add: May I ask, where did you get your female that was pregnant?

trixiesmom

Post   » Wed May 26, 2004 2:43 pm

KJE, I thought you might live close by. I saw several of your postings about some of the pet stores close by.
I have a C&C cage for my piggies already(it is a smaller one 1 grid x 3 grids). The pups are so-o-o cute, my family wants to keep them all! It would be great if you could help me determine the sex of the babies. They are just one day old, but the sooner I know for sure the better chance I have of not getting Trixie pregnant again.
If I can't find suitable homes, I'll get the name of the rescue from you. I would possibly like to help fostering piggies also, maybe after I get a little more experience with them.

I hate to say it but I got her at Petsmart up on Colerain. I detest petstores and where they get their pets from, but I just couldn't leave this one there. Trixe has the most awesome laid back personality and she was obviously pregnant. Our first piggie, Squeaky was 1 1/2 years old when she was taken from our yard in April. She was in an outdoor fenced in area we use to her eat some grass. We don't know if someone or something took her but she was gone. My entire family, husband, 11 year old and 5 year old were all heartbroken. I went on about trying to find another piggie (we had purchased out first piggie from a teenager who had bread them for 4 H) I couldn't find any at the shelters. My kids routinely drag me into pet stores because they love animals - and that's when we all fell in love with her. I'd like to say I rescued her from the petstore life, but I know my purchase only allowed them to continue with their puppy-mill breeders.

ChadWPB

Post   » Wed May 26, 2004 2:46 pm

Since you have only one sow currently, she'd fare better with a same-sex buddy. Have you considered keeping one or both of the female pups?

trixiesmom

Post   » Wed May 26, 2004 2:53 pm

Yes, I have all but promised my family that we will keep one on the pups.
I think Trixie has been very lonely since she came home from the pet store (housed with 7 other piggies) She has enjoyed all the new things in her life, she thinks she is the queen. Ample food and water, new things like hay, carrots, cilantro.
We really spoiled her since we didn't know anything about her past There was some fear that she was too old to have her first litter and that we would loose her or the babies.
Thank God everyone is healthy!

KJE

Post   » Wed May 26, 2004 2:55 pm

The reason you couldn't find a pig at any of our shelters is because they kill them as soon as they arrive. Most people in our area don't know you can adopt pigs. I looked for a while before I found the rescue near Louisville, KY. The rescue person posts here. Her screename is gracielee. I just picked up a couple of pigs from her last week to foster. She meets meet about half-way so it's not too far for me or her.

I'm glad you know about C&C cages, but 1x3 isn't even big enough for one pig. For one pig, you need at least a 2x3. One grid deep just isn't enough for them to run. Did you baby-proof your C&C? Babies can fit through the grids and possibly get their heads stuck(depending on how big they are) and die.

How much do your babies weigh? I'd love to see them while they are newborns! I will e-mail you with my phone # so we can talk more about the babies. That is, if you feel comfortable calling me.

Have you read http://www.guinealynx.info/nutrition.html
You might want to read that, and read the care pamphlet.

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Wed May 26, 2004 2:58 pm

KJE- have you or gracielee talked to any of the shelters that euth. pigs on intake about her rescue or my own? I was quite surprised that the one HS contacted me about the two that came in that I'm picking up tomorrow, but I know there are many others out there that euth. before giving the pigs a chance. Frustrating, but it's going to take some time to figure things out to help save some more pigs from death.

KJE

Post   » Wed May 26, 2004 3:04 pm

Erin, I called some of them last fall, but that was when I was looking for a companion for Oreo. I guess I would need to talk to you and gracielee first because I can't have more than 2 extra pigs here because I'm limited on space. I would be willing to pick up pigs and transport them, if someone could take them and meet me at our normal meeting places. The only problem I see with that is if you two are full and can't take pigs, I might not have room for them.

I will try to call some of them as soon as I get a chance. It might not be until next week because my husband is having surgery tomorrow and I'll have to take care of him for a few days...oh, joy!

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Wed May 26, 2004 3:16 pm

I've been surprised at how fast most of my pigs are being adopted, it'd be better to have them at least call, even if none of us had room, it'd at least be a step in the right direction. I have 4 sows and 2 boars here right now, 2 sows are on hold, I have a good feeling the application I mailed out for the boars will be an adoption(crossing fingers), and I have someone asking questions on another sow. So, if all goes well, by July I'll be down the pigs I currently have here. Picking up a sow and a neutered boar tomorrow.

trixiesmom

Post   » Wed May 26, 2004 3:29 pm

KJE.
I'm comfortable calling you. My email is cdshafer@hotmail.com
I'm in and out this evening - but I'll call you if you send me your phone #.

gracielee
Me, too!

Post   » Wed May 26, 2004 3:55 pm

I agree with Erin, I'd at least like them to know there's another option. If you want to take it on, try calling the local shelters, and Animal control. Ours are separate facilities here, and don't necessarily communicate with one another.

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Wed May 26, 2004 3:58 pm

Athen's County Humane Society is the one that has contacted me about the pair that I'm picking up tomorrow, so if you were calling around, you can cross them off the list :-)

KJE

Post   » Fri May 28, 2004 11:37 pm

I met her babies and the mom today! They look GREAT! There is a PEW abby, a red/white abby, and a gray american abby mix. They are SO cute! The mom and babies look very healthy. I tried to help her sex them, but they are pretty squirmy at 4 days old. I am suppose to go back in a week to see if we can get a better look. trixiesmom is doing a wonderful job with them! She said she posted them on petfinder. Maybe she will post a link to that page here...hint hint.

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Fri May 28, 2004 11:39 pm

Unfortunatly, you can't direct link to classified pages on petfinder!

Grey american/abby, eh? Wonder what your definition of grey is? Heh.

KJE

Post   » Fri May 28, 2004 11:53 pm

I didn't think gray was correct, but I know nothing! The one I'm calling "gray" looked a lot like a rat. Plus it has smooth hair over all it's body, but has a little hair around it's butt area that kind of sticks out. So, what other color could it be called?

SusieQ
Scrapbook Addict

Post   » Sat May 29, 2004 12:21 am

Gray = lilac?

That's what it looks like to me.

KJE

Post   » Sat May 29, 2004 12:28 am

Ok, lilac. All I know is that it looks like the color of a gray crayon. I told you I know nothing, except that they are so adorable!

I'm going to try to find a picture of a lilac pig so I can compare them. Thanks!

KJE

Post   » Sat May 29, 2004 12:55 am

Lilac, it is! The mom and all the babies have pink eyes. So, from what I have read, lilac comes from a black pig having the pink eye gene. I hope I understand this correctly, so E won't chew me out...hahaha!

So, does that mean the red/white is actually orange/white since it has pink eyes?

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Sat May 29, 2004 3:22 pm

Ruby is a greyish color, she's beige. Could be either of the two, sometimes they are had to distinguish between. Especially with our beloved mixed pigs.

Either way, I love both colors, I'm sure the baby is adorable! (as are the others, I'm sure!)

Sshadowsmom

Post   » Sat May 29, 2004 9:09 pm

I know someone in Dayton who is talking about getting a piggie and they have helped me with mine and I know they are well aware of how much care goes into them. Unfortunately I will not be seeing her until Tuesday.

47 posts