looking for a teddy to adopt! upper michigan/ upper wi.

daisybaby

Post   » Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:34 pm

I am desperately looking for a teddy to adopt. we recently lost ours (he died) and both me and my daughter are just heart broken. I am unable to find anyone in the area, even Green bay, wisconson that has any. Any resues in that area or shelters? I am unable to find anything on line.
My heart is not at peace until I get a new one to love!

Evangeline

Post   » Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:28 am

Evangeline

Post   » Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:31 am

I don't think breed should be a factor. I'm sure you'll find just the right pig for you, whatever the texture of hsi hair. Also, guinea pigs should never be kept alone. Please consider adopting a same sex pair.

Evangeline

Post   » Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:38 am

By the way, Petfinder lists 34 homeless pigs in WI, right now.

Serena
It started with Louie...

Post   » Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:38 am

Look at Fred in Pet Finder. He is at the Green Bay shelter and he is absolutely a-dor-a-ble!

Sorry for the loss of your little guy. Guinea pigs are so sweet and I can't blame you for wanting another one (or two!) right away.

I am in Rhinelander, WI so I am very close to you. I do business trips to Madison about once a month so if you ever need help with piggie transport just let me know

daisybaby

Post   » Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:46 am

I read someone saying not to keep a cavy alone. Upon getting another one for companionship is age a factor?
I have a male, I was told he is 5 months old but he looks rather large to me.
Thank you to all on the wi, adoption cues.

daisybaby

Post   » Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:50 am

I am 2.5 hours from Green bay and I read on the site they require 2 trips before adoption. I am going to call and find out if they will fudge on that. The way gas is right now I just cant afford that many trips. But his coloring is beautiful. Serena do you know what breed he looks like. You cant see his face very well?

ChadWPB

Post   » Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:19 am

Yes, guinea pigs do much better in pairs or better.

To me, behavior and health are much more of a determining factor than breed. A lot of my pigs are "mutts", but they're very sweet and friendly.

Serena
It started with Louie...

Post   » Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:07 pm

I don't know what he is either. For sure not a Teddy but maybe an American. I go to Green Bay once in a while too so if you really want to adopt from there but can't get there, let me know and perhaps we could work something out. Just driving to Rhinelander instead of Green Bay would save you 2 hours.

Serena
It started with Louie...

Post   » Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:09 pm

Hey wait, if you are 2.5 hours away from Green Bay then you about the same distance as me. Where in UP MI do you live?

daisybaby

Post   » Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:23 pm

I live in Iron river, Micigan. It is about an hour and 15 -20 minuetes to Rhinelander from Iron River.

Serena
It started with Louie...

Post   » Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:53 am

Hey, I go skiing at Brule all the time! We're practically neighbors.

Did you find a new piggie to adopt yet?

daisybaby

Post   » Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:48 am

I have not gotten a new cavy yet. I currently have a male and was going to get another male because I heard from someone that they would get along fine. Then recently I read that both must be neutered. Where on earth do you get them neutered. The vets in my area don't even treat guinea pigs! So this posses a problem and had I know I would have got 2 females. Advice anyone?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:03 am

No, they don't need to be neutered. Whether or not they get along depends on their personality.

Vanessa

Post   » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:06 am

My males get along fine. They just need time to get to know one another, a big cage with lots of space, and plenty of hay and veggies to distract their attention from eachother.

Allysse

Post   » Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:16 pm

daisybaby- I have a few males for adoption.
Check these guys out and if you're interested in learning more about them let me know. allysse@comcast.net

Charles and Revel
Schnitzel and Fritzel

Three-somes can work well in my experience. I live in Saint Paul, MN but transportation could be worked out. I have a cabin in Ironwood MI, is that close to you?

Also I know that Vicki of JPGPR has a single male right now, but she does not like doing out of area adoptions. However if you were really interested I think something could be worked out. The male is a beige and black american, very sweet and friendly.

Otherwise there are a lot of guinea pigs in WI and I'm sure there's a few people willing to help you there.

chii
I Love Lucy

Post   » Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:21 pm

Neutering makes very little difference in whether two males will get along. Mine are both older boars that lived alone all their lives, and when they finally met, they just sniffed each other and mostly went about their business like it was no big deal. Just make sure to have two of everything. Two houses, two bowls, two water bottles, etc. And make sure to quarantine the new piggy for at least 2-3 weeks.

SusieQ
Scrapbook Addict

Post   » Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:01 pm

The vets in my area don't even treat guinea pigs!
You will need to find a vet that treats cavies, though. What would you do if one got sick? But males don't need to be neutered to get along.

Serena
It started with Louie...

Post   » Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:32 pm

Hey Daisybaby! I'm not sure if you found a new pig yet but there is a teddy for adoption in Brookfield at the humane society. Look at Petfinder. He is too cute. Once again. I can probably help out with piggy transport if needed.

Allysse

Post   » Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:58 pm

Sounds like a very promising option Lisa. Nutz4pigs- how long does the shelter usually keep pigs around? Do they get adopted fast?

25 posts