Pig needs Home in Ottawa Area

iaqsc

Post   » Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:04 pm

Hi guys,
I will be going away to university in September and my darling guinea pig, Mortimer, cannot come with. I have toyed with the idea of being selfish and keeping him at my house with my mother to clean him, but I know this would mean little attention for the tiny guy. As much as I love him and want to keep him, I know he needs a new home where he will get loads of attention.

Mortimer is 1.5ish years old, male, not fixed. He loves to be held and cuddled. He needs a quiet household, either without children or with very gentle ones. He likes music and other stimuli. He lives in a 4 x 2 foot cage (I think? It might be a tad smaller than that....) and to make up for it, I give him lots of floor time which he thoroughly enjoys. In the summer, he spends several hours a day outdoors. He's shy and timid at first but warms up quickly. He is an "only child" and I can't really see him being introduced easily to other guinea pigs.

He doesn't bite, but he likes to lick hands. He doesn't squeak, although he coos. He doesn't enjoy baths but is generally very clean anyway. He hates having his nails trimmed but can be won over with grass or dandelion.

I live in Ottawa, Ontario. If you or anybody you know in this area would like to take Mortimer, please let me know. I'm willing to drive him somewhere farther (within reason) for the sake of a good home where he will be loved.

This breaks my heart because he's the best little piggie I've ever had.

Please let me know if you or anybody you know would be interested. Good home only.
[/img]

iaqsc

Post   » Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:11 pm

I guess I should say...

I can drive him to anywhere in the Ottawa/Toronto region, because Toronto is where I am moving to. So anywhere around either of these cities is feasible.

SusieQ
Scrapbook Addict

Post   » Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:19 pm

Which university are you going to? Several Toronto universities allow pets.

I wish you the best of luck- you may have trouble finding him a home because Ottawa recently had a large seizure and there are many pigs at the shelter, and the Toronto Humane Society has plenty of pigs now.

iaqsc

Post   » Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:26 pm

I'm going to York U and I checked... their residences do not allow pets.

Ah that's bad news for me - I really want him to go to a good home, but I know people prefer to rescue piggies (and get younger ones).

Worst case scenario, he stays here and my mother takes care of him. That'll just mean he'll be very lonely. I don't have room to get him a companion, either. Yeek.

SusieQ
Scrapbook Addict

Post   » Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:28 pm

With a 2 x 4 cage, you have room to squeeze in a companion. It's not ideal, but better than him being alone. Try the Humane Society- they probably have a young boar you could pair him up with.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:33 pm

He's a really lovely pig.

You'd be surprised how happy many pigs are to have a companion.

michiganangel72
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:39 pm

How could you say goodbye to that face? :(

ChadWPB

Post   » Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:40 pm

My Princess was a timid, shy pig who mostly hid. With a buddy, her real personality came out and is now an alpha sow.

If you mom is cool with a buddy pig, that's the way to go.

iaqsc

Post   » Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:07 pm

I'm not WILLINGLY saying goodbye to his precious little face.

In the case I get another guinea pig to be his companion, would I need another cage for awhile before putting them together? I COULD get him a companion although my mother will absolutely kill me as she's already unwilling to take care of just the 1 piggie.

It's a good solution, but now I'm wondering about the temporary second cage thing.

Also, would he then be okay with another male or would I have to get a female and have one fixed?

Tammy

Post   » Wed Jun 23, 2004 6:22 pm

Is Mortimer what you call a rainbow colored pig? He's really lovable looking.

BTW, how far away from home are you? If it's not too far. Maybe you can go visit him every once in a while. My parents were kind enough to look after my pigs (2 boars) for a year when I was living in a no-pet apartment one year.

iaqsc

Post   » Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:11 am

It's 5 hours away... (driving)... so I'll only be coming home for Christmas/spring break.
Oh well.
Thanks everybody.

spikes mom

Post   » Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:24 am

good luck - what a beautiful piggie!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:15 pm

If you are not going to York until September, you would have time to quarantine a companion for Mortimer, have one fixed if you choose opposite sex, and get them all set up.

Please tell your mom that caring for two in many ways is easier than caring for one. It's not double the cleanup, it's a little less than that. They entertain and play with each other. If your mom is open-minded and willing to watch them play together, she may end up a convert (and we'll welcome her to GL).

Best of luck and please let us know how things work out.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:17 pm

double post

14 posts • Page 1 of 1