Ugghhh! Some people...

Jezie+Pottersmom

Post   » Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:15 pm

I just called on a "free" ad for two boars, I told her that giving them away free sometimes attracts people with snakes and the gp's are sometimes used as snake food.

She said she would check it out, she didn't sound like she gave a crap about what I was telling her. When asked why she was giving them away she said her daughter was allergic to them and they had only had them for a few weeks. The previous home that they were at also had children with allergies.

They were bought from a pet store, and she has been feeding the only pellets from the pet store, oh and her daughter picks grass for them sometimes.....GGRRRRR!!!!

She said someone is coming to look at them tonight, should I go and snatch them up?? or should I just let it go???

I don't really have a cage prepared for them, except they come with a free cage and I have an old small pet store cage.

Help!!!!What to do????

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:03 pm

"...she didn't sound like she gave a crap about what I was telling her..."

If I were in a position to start a rescue or sanctuary, I'd go with my gut. Trust your instincts. If your intuition is telling you to snatch them up, then do so.

I'm suggesting you do something I don't have the room or time to do myself. You have to judge your own resources. They will take room you might not then have for another needy little one down the road. Then again, if your reading is right you will save their lives.

Jezie+Pottersmom

Post   » Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:27 pm

Well, is anyone ever in a position to start a rescue???

I guess we all are always needing more money.

The problem is is that I never make great decisions.

Bonnie

Post   » Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:29 pm

How many do you have now Jezie? You wanting to to keep them or find them new homes?

Jezie+Pottersmom

Post   » Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:31 pm

I have two of my own, a boar and a sow.

I thought about finding them new homes, although, how do you rescues adopt out pigs, when the average joe goes to a pet store to buy one or looks in the paper for them????

Bonnie

Post   » Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:34 pm

Maybe you know someone who might like them?
You can't just have two pigs! They are like potato chips, you can't eat just 20! lol I bet you could give them a nice cozy home. :) Not trying to persuade you or anything...

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:00 pm

The average joe doesn't know small animal rescues exist.

Caring, committed and competent animal guardians, who would always adopt a dog or cat from a shelter and *never* buy from a breeder or pet store, go to pet stores because they have no idea these animals are available in shelters or through rescuers.

You would need to publicize your efforts if you adopt out. Getting a Petfinder site is one way, and developing a good relationship with your local shelter or animal control is another (then they would refer any calls they do get to you).

Lots more info on Teresa's site.

Ange1icflowers

Post   » Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:31 pm

I would go and get them myself...of course my husband might not be too happy about it, but I'd still get them.

(yes, call me a sucker for animals if you like...but if I am, you all are too!)

8 posts • Page 1 of 1