Petco Contact Numbers for Sick Animals Purchased There

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Wed May 12, 2010 1:30 pm

I could understand 4 weeks if you are new to pigs and do not understand the signs of illness.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Wed May 12, 2010 2:53 pm

Complain to management and corporate office. Many have gotten payment if you persist and make a big stink. Have your vet write a letter?

dmppiggie

Post   » Wed May 12, 2010 7:37 pm

I went four days later---she was showing confirmed symptoms within three (congestion, goopy eyes--she had a itsy-bitty bit of gunk in one when I first brought her home, but it didn't return until the night of day 3).

I think I got lucky because #1, the guy who sold me Dottie was there and he is a small animal owner himself (I tend to believe him), AND I just happened to take Pennie to the same vet that they would have treated her at if I would have "returned" her for treatment (so basically, I was saving them the trouble of having to administer meds and monitor her). He seemed to be really concerned with having sick animals in the store and was the one who fought for me to get the vet bills paid--the other small animal guy who we bought the other two girls from really didn't listen to me when I told him that one of the piggies in another "cage" was looking really poorly.

$70 is the amount that everything cost ($45 for exam, 2 ab at $25 total).

bassplayer7

Post   » Thu May 13, 2010 9:12 am

Yea, I would say I'm new to signs of illness. But I've learned pretty quick in the recent past. We will see how much I push. When I got Butter, I didn't quarantine him, but just put him in with Peanut (because I didn't have another cage - I know that's not an excuse, though). Peanut has been almost completely healthy this entire time, except that he showed some minor symptoms of URI about 2 weeks after Butter got his so I treated Peanut's. I honestly don't know where Butter could have gotten this bacteria from. For the first week or two they were in a small cage, that the other loner was in, but now they a C&C cage that is larger then the recommended.

I will push Petsmart some more but not tons mostly because I don't have much cannon foder.

dmpiggie, I get it now. That's about how much each round of ABs (for both GPs) cost me but I've gone through so many now it's way above that. The vet I work with now charged me $30 for the office visit (it's normally $40) when I asked for a price break, and that was really nice.

dmppiggie

Post   » Thu May 13, 2010 10:51 pm

got my $75 refund back on my card today. Now I'm looking for another place to get my supplies! (rather support those smaller shops that don't sell animals)

jedifreac

Post   » Thu May 13, 2010 11:27 pm

bassplayer7, I wonder if instead of dealing directly with Petco, you could call your credit card company (if that is how you made the purchase) to get reimbursed that way. It wouldn't cover the vet fees though, only the cost of the pig. But some credit cards have "defective merchandise" type buyer protection.

Kelli1angel

Post   » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:07 pm

Yea. I just had to deal with petco and a sick guinea pig. They payed the bill but i had to travel out of my way to get her to a vet. Petco should not sell animals. They do not know anything about the animals they sell and went in there the other day and saw more sick guinea pigs. If i had known when i got mine there that it would be sick i wouldve looked elsewhere for a pet. I wish we had a pet supply store closer by because then I would just stop service with them completely. Ugh! They make me mad!

Oreo+Cookie__3

Post   » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:45 pm

I have countless friends who have bought piggies from Petco and Petsmart, it's pretty sad, one of my friends is on her 2nd piggie, she does not realize the horrors of Petco and Petsmart's suppliers.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:38 am

Kelli - can you order online or find a feed store nearby?

jedifreac

Post   » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:42 am

Definitely try to find and support your local feed stores. The hay they sell is usually really fresh and affordable. They may also sell horse bedding that is also appropriate for use with guinea pigs.