Looking for one maybe two female companions...

Jezie+Pottersmom

Post   » Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:11 pm

They don't do out of state adoptions???:((((

Jezie+Pottersmom

Post   » Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:23 pm

I must say I just called The Best Little Rabbit and Rodent House and they were very rude to me!

I asked if they had any "sows" availiable for adoption and she said "excuse me?" and I said "any sows for adoption?" and she said "the word SOW is only a breeders term, we don't use that term here, we use female." WTH?

I thought boars and sows were the correct form of the word.

I said I belong to a VERY educated online community that uses the terms sow and boar.

I told her my sow had just died and left a cagemate behind, and if there was anyway I could adopt if I lived out of state. She just said NO!

Wow, I am a little hurt by that.

Maybe SHE needs to be set straight on how to show some common courtesy to the general public that she works with.

Do we all not share the same love and compassion for Cavies?

savycavy_

Post   » Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:02 pm

Hang in there J&P you'll find a guinea pig. I live in south central Manitoba, so if I can find a rescue pig then so can you.

It took me 4 months to find my first pair of pigs from an animal shelter two hours away. Then one of this pair died and it took me 2 months to find a new piggy from a petstore bullitin board (kid lost interest senerio).

Try posting adds on petstore bullitin boards, check newspaper classifieds. Do you have a radio swap&shop type of thing? Spread the word that you are looking, many shelters will keep track of your name and call if anything comes available, also friends know frends, know friends, network.

Good luck!

christina

Post   » Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:26 pm

That's just terrible. Do you know who you talked to? I'm sorry they were rude to you. I know Sandi can be short with people, I've seen it for myself. It sounds like the word "sow" made her snap, and once she gets that mindset it probably doesn't make any difference what you say after that. I would also dare say they are pretty hardened over there, as far as things go. Certainly not the attitude and friendliness of the many GL members here who have rescues.

Heck, I am tempted to call them myself! As a regular customer there for 3 years, spending $$$$, and I give a good cavy owner their information and they treat the person like that? It's just not acceptable. It really irritates me.

On second thought, I might write a thoughtful but direct letter to them.
Last edited by christina on Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jezie+Pottersmom

Post   » Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:32 pm

I don't know who I talked too. It wasn't at cavy companions but the Best Little Rabbit and Rodent house.

She said that they had ten gps availiable for adoption.

Yep, after that I said ok thanks and she hung up. I do realize people in rescue become hardening over time due to the awful, irresponsible people that dump Cavies, but gee, you have to realize that not everyone is that way.

They will lose a lot of potential adopters that way, especially good ones.

Its not your fault christina. Thanks for your help though.

I even thought about driving up to Seattle to take a look at all their Cavies. I don't think she would even adopt to me if I did that and lived in a different state.

Strange...

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:06 pm

I seem to remember hearing about someone who got irate at calling a sow a sow and a boar a boar. Maybe it was them? Most peculiar. Kind of like calling a cow and a bull a girl steer and a boy steer (or some such thing -- a girl deer and a boy deer vs. a doe and a buck?).

skylersmom1

Post   » Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:38 am

Sorry they were rude to you. They have always been nice when I went in to buy bedding, but then I always have my 4 year old daughter with me. We spend time saying "hi" to EVERY animal there before we buy stuff.
I also told them I was thinking of getting a male to live with my two females and got a very sudden, "Are you planning on BREEDING them?" I told them I was looking for a neutered boar and their next question was if my girls were spayed and then why not!
Of course, to balance that out, when she heard I already had 2 pigs that I had adopted from the humane society, she was ready to hand me a business card for an excellent vet.
I think they care alot, but maybe are close to burnout and need a break.