A Guinea Pig in Need, is a Good Pet Indeed or, Why Adopt?

Wheekers3

Post   » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:38 pm

About three months ago I began searching Craigslist out of curiosity. Sometime in the future I did intend getting another guinea pig, as I had lost two over the summer, and my one remaining girl was lonely. She had just had two surgeries to remove a lump and resulting abscess. I wanted to be sure she was cancer free and healthy, before I committed to getting another friend for her.
There was one pig who caught my eye. I read what was posted :

I HAVE A FEMALE GUINEA PIG
SHE COMES WITH BIG CAGE, WATER BOTTLE AND FOOD DISH
SHE ALSO COMES WITH A LOG HIDEOUT.
SHE IS CARMEL COLORED AND WHITE.
HER NAME IS CARMELA.
SHE IS ALMOST 2 YEARS OLD.
I AM ASKING $30.00 FOR HER AND ALL ACESSORIES
IF INTERESTED YOU CAN GET BACK TO ME WITH AN E-MAIL.
THANKS

I thought to myself, "I bet she has been taken" and "I am still not ready", so I bookmarked it to check back later. One month later, I still could not get her out of my mind. I checked back, and there she was, still listed. Time and time again I would think about her. I wondered what her story was, and why someone would want to give her away. Weekly, I would go to Craigslist to see if she was still listed.

Finally, when my guinea pig was feeling and looking better, I sent off a quick E-mail to check and see if she was really still there. One hour later they had replied. Yes, they still had her. She was two. They were getting rid of her because they had a new baby and a new job and that resulted in no time for her. They said she was healthy, and "could they bring her right over?"!!
Being that I still hadn't mentioned any of this to my Husband, I set the transaction up for the following Monday, two days later.

On Monday, after several calls and changes in plans we picked her up in a Kentucky Fried Chicken parking lot. She came in a large tub, and with two sacks of belongings. Evidently the cage was too dirty. She was small, scared and the sweetest thing I had seen in a long time.

Once we arrived home, I realized all was not as it seemed. Most of her "worldly possessions" were encrusted with fecal matter. Her food was a buggy grain-based diet, and her treats were sadly two years past their expiration date. I had to throw most of it away.

The poor little pig was missing one incisor, ( either bad diet, or from a tumble ) and she was very dirty. Her poor little feet had poop-encrusted toes. I looked her over and cried, as I imagined what sort of crappy life she had led. I slowly cleaned her up with love and patience, over the period of about a week. She was understandably wary of me and my intentions. I promised her she would never sleep in filth again. Slowly she blossomed into a beautiful happy girl.

I am so glad I found her. My only regret is that I didn't act on her ad sooner. I made her wait too long for me. She spent almost 90 days waiting for someone to rescue her.

There are many pigs just like her waiting for someone to love them. Someone to give them a clean bed to sleep on and some good food to eat. Open your heart and your home and you will not be disappointed. Do not wait too long. Carmela and I know what a difference it could make.

whittibo

Post   » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:49 pm

What an adorable little girl she is! what a blessing you are to her! I am so glad you finally did get her! I know you'll give her the best possible life!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:19 pm

I turned your post into a sticky for now (may change it in a few weeks). I hope it inspires someone else to take the time to adopt now instead of waiting.

She is a beautiful little girl.

I think adopting or rescuing a guinea pig is so much better than buying a guinea pig from a pet store. Tracis has put together some great links you should read if you are considering a pet store instead. They should change your mind!

Links - Why not to buy from a pet store
Last edited by Lynx on Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wheekers3

Post   » Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:38 pm

That is exactly what I was shooting for Lynx, in honor of her two week anniversary with us just today. She has been such a blessing.

I wasn't sure if I put it in the right spot. Thanks lynx.

monikers
By the Cavy Cosmos!

Post   » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:50 pm

Congrats Wheekers3, may you all have many more wheeks together.

The hundreds of guinea pigs listed on Petfinder right now, and with the numerous guinea pig rescues all across the country, comprise the biggest reason folks should adopt!

sillycavies

Post   » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:06 am

Carmela is beautiful, and I'm sure she wakes up grateful every day to be in such a loving home where she's truly wanted. All my pets are rescues and I'd never shop when there are so many animals who need fit, loving homes.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:09 am

A wonderful post - so glad you made it a sticky, Lynx!

Carmela is one beautiful, and very lucky, girl :-)

jayne46069

Post   » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:53 am

So many people abuse their poor piggys. I was at the pet store looking at the animals and two teens walked in and started picking up the piggys and bunnys and I heard one talking that she had a piggy and she accidentally left it in the sun while she was gone and it died. I went home and cried anout that poor piggy. Some people are so irresponsible and do not deserve their piggys.

jayne46069

Post   » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:54 am

But I am so glad that you saved that one.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:15 am

I am so glad this was bumped up. I love this story and Wheekers3 is a wonderful person.

Wheekers3

Post   » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:42 am

You make me blush.

I did nothing special, except to love her. Who could not love that face?

I ask myself that all the time. I do not understand how someone could mistreat a face like that?

She lives the life of a princess now. She dines on KM Hay and sleeps on her choice of cozys. Windespirit's is on the bottom and Sasha and Jane's on the top level. Her biggest concern is what is on the menu this meal. She has Mr.Wheekers wrapped around her little pink toes.

Cindy in MI
Supporter in '05

Post   » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:47 am

Look at those sweet little pggie feets!