SF ACC Needs Immediate Help - Large Dump Of Gps!

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Dec 12, 2002 10:41 am


They are overwhelmed, got 19 more in, and won't release 12? Weird! I'd have thought they would be happy to place them.

So, three then? That should be a piece of cake. I don't think I can do Redding on the 21st, but I'm still working on it.

Well, keep me posted, and I'll give you a final decision on Redding within the next day.

User avatar
BizyLizy

Post   » Thu Dec 12, 2002 12:01 pm


They are overwhelmed, got 19 more in, and won't release 12? Weird! I'd have thought they would be happy to place them.
I don't know if they had 12 and got in an additional 19 or if they got in 19 and now only have 12 left/available. I'll call the person who left me the message later this morning (she works nights). She is the person that transported a guinea pig for me to the LA area and interacted with me on (my) recent foster/placment of 11 dwarf hamsters. With the six being released for private rescue/placement, that leaves six more who are avialable for adoption.

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Dec 12, 2002 12:46 pm


I thought there were many more CA pigs in need of homes -- and even some Holister pigs left.

It would seem if KM was going to drive down for 3, maybe a few more could be found for her area -- as it seems to not have such a glut of gps (that is, if KM is interested in a few more to place).

Julian
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Dec 12, 2002 1:03 pm


Kleenmama,

Would you be willing to take any of the Monterey pigs I still have in foster? Our total now is close to 50, 30 fosters and 20 permanent special needs pigs. They are in no danger of euthanasia, but our area is pretty saturated right now. I could possiblly meet you in Redding but I am completly tied up untill Christmas. The week after would be okay with me.

There has been a death in our family so I've been tied up lately.

User avatar
BizyLizy

Post   » Thu Dec 12, 2002 1:25 pm


Would you be willing to take any of the Monterey pigs I still have in foster?

Good thought, however, the focus at the moment still needs to be on the pigs at the SF ACC since that is where the immediate need. I need to see what the actual SF ACC pig count is before pigs from other sources are added.

Also, kleenmama would prefer that the pigs be transported to Oregon and her only reason for coming down to the SF Bay Area would be to get the ones from the SF ACC who might otherwise be put down.

Also, really important, the person who has the private plane can only accomodate a *very* limited number of pigs in the private plane. By limited, I mean just a couple of cages.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Dec 12, 2002 3:54 pm


>>Also, kleenmama would prefer that the pigs be transported to Oregon and her only reason for coming down to the SF Bay Area would be to get the ones from the SF ACC who might otherwise be put down. <<

True, that was the hope. But if these pigs are in no danger, and I only take 3, OF COURSE I'll take some of the Hollister or Monterey pigs! To be honest, I'd PREFER someone drive them to Puyallup! But that does not look likely.

I am getting 2 from Spokane, and I have room here for perhaps 10-12 more. It's not much, but it's something!

I've talked to a friend of mine, and actually, if the pigs can wait, I'd LOVE to come into San Fran and meet some people, and grab a full load of pigs. There is seriously no need for me to drive all the way to Redding for 3 pigs! Frankly, the 21st does not look good at all. I have 3 things already scheduled for that day.

From what I understood from you, BL, there is no scheduled "euth" day.

We could come the second week of January and spend a day or two. I belong to a vacation club thing and we get screaming deals on hotel rooms.

Especially since it seems more and more that these pigs are no danger of euthanization.


Bottom line, I'm hear to help whatever pigs I can.

User avatar
BizyLizy

Post   » Thu Dec 12, 2002 5:06 pm


Especially since it seems more and more that these pigs are no danger of euthanization.

I just spoke to the person who forwarded the initial request to me (and a couple of other people, including the person who will be taking three). The cut-off deadline is this weekend; if they are not removed or adopted by then they will be put down. I have a message in to the person who will be taking three (that leaves three or four that need to be placed).

The alternate person who wanted to adopt the male that I'm placing this weekend said that she can foster a couple until they are placed or picked up. (She does rescue work but it is for dogs.) Therefore she is an option. I will find out more when I speak to the person who left the message on my machine and when I go to the shelter, hopefully tomorrow. After that, various plans can be firmed up for transport and the adding of additional pigs.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Dec 12, 2002 8:55 pm


Terrific, keep me posted. There is no way I can get down there by this weekend, obviously, but if she can foster for a couple weeks, that would be great.

User avatar
BizyLizy

Post   » Thu Dec 12, 2002 9:11 pm


.
if she can foster for a couple weeks, that would be great
She probably would but I have no money and no supplies (cages, etc.) for her. I need to check with her to see if she can afford to provide for them. She wanted to know who was going to place them. I still have not done a home check yet but I have been checking her out via email for both Lucky and the hamsters (the hamsters will go to her this weekend unless I see a major red flag when I get there).

Also, I still have not reached the person who left the message on my machine to see if I am in fact the other person that the SF ACC will release pigs to (and when and under what circumstances). I have a feeling that if I take them they will be my responsibility. My funds and space are *very* limited and it has taken me since July to place the two rescued males who had the bad case of mites. If it doesn't work out on various ends, then I will have three to four guinea pigs that I may not be able to provide for. If I am the person and I can't take them, they will be put down this weekend.

User avatar
lisam

Post   » Thu Dec 12, 2002 9:51 pm


Kleenmama, I will probably have room for a few more by the time you go down there. Might as well make the trip worth while!

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Dec 13, 2002 12:51 am


Thanks Lisam! I can always count on you, can't I?
BL, I will NOT leave you with the pigs. If you are indeed the one who gets them, I will come down and get them.

Im sorry it's the holidays, but I just can't up and leave during Christmas and New Year's, and the one friend I was thinking about taking wth me to help drive is off on Wed and Thurs.

I have another friend in Portland that might go with me, she may be able to do weekends.

I have already made a commitment to work for my husband's boss all of next week.

But I promise, I will not leave you stuck with pigs. If you get three, I'll take 3. Then I will get some from the Hollister and Monterey fosters.

User avatar
BizyLizy

Post   » Fri Dec 13, 2002 12:56 am


I have spoken to the person who is planning on getting one group of three, including the pregnant female. I am in fact the other person that they will "release" them to. However, since I am not a registered rescue, nor is she, we will both have to fill out paperwork (including a landlord check) and adopt them ourselves. ACC now charges for all "rescue" adoptions unless one has a 501(C)3 status. It is $10 per a pig and the fee has to be paid up front. Therefore the fee for taking them will be $60 (or more if kleenmama were to take in more or get more if she were to come down here).

Both the other person and myself are already "full" and space and resources are limited. Neither one of wants to be "stuck" with any pigs. Unfortunatley, you will need to decide immediatlely whether or not you really want them and whether or not you would really come to get them (I've recently had several transports arranged for my pigs only to have them repeatedly fall through).

I was informed tonight that *the deadline for the pigs is tomorrow* rather than this weekend.

User avatar
BizyLizy

Post   » Fri Dec 13, 2002 1:05 am


BL, I will NOT leave you with the pigs. If you are indeed the one who gets them, I will come down and get them.

Sorry, I saw this after I posted my update. I guess now it is whether or not you want to pay to save them, which is now the bottom line. The date apparently is tomorrow and I am to be at the shelter in the morning.

Adopting three pigs and having a landlord check when I really have no room for them doesn't really make much sense for me to even consider the prospect but I will go if you in fact do really want to go through with getting them.

The other thing is that if they are placed (by either of us or retained) before you arrive in mid-January (?), the person said that the others can be gotten. Sorry for making you decide in such short order but I just spoke with the person.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Dec 13, 2002 1:12 am


Wow. I think it is amazing that they are going to euthanize these animals and are making you pay to take them.

I'm sorry, BL, but the trip down itself is going to run me well over $200 in gas and motel, food, etc.

I'm not sure why taking 3 pigs at $10 will cost me $60, but I can't put out that kind of money, not right now. I'm sorry.

On top of probable vet bills, treatment, food, etc, it is just not possible for me to be nearly $300 into this.

I feel so bad! I've just never had to pay to rescue, before.

I'm really sorry......

I am already committed to going up to Vancouver to hopefully adopt out a pig, and going to Spokane to take in two more.

This is more than 2 days of my time, and nearly $50 in gas.

User avatar
BizyLizy

Post   » Fri Dec 13, 2002 1:31 am


I'm not sure why taking 3 pigs at $10 will cost me $60

The additional $30 would be for the other three that the person is taking to foster (I found out for you since she also really has no room for more). Sorry, I had no idea that there would be a fee or that we would be asked to do what is really just a private adoption.

Thanks for your interest, time, and patience. Good luck with the critters that you are placing/getting!

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Dec 13, 2002 1:35 am


Thank you, and thank you for trying so hard. I honestly wish it would have worked out differently. Keep me in mind if there are other problems, or if you still need help in a couple weeks, ok?

User avatar
BizyLizy

Post   » Fri Dec 13, 2002 1:49 am


I just spoke to the person who forwarded the email to me. If they can be obtained by someone who does have the proper status (where no adoption fee is required) would you want them?

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Dec 13, 2002 2:01 am


Absolutely! Still have the time frame problem, but again, I won't stick you with them.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Dec 13, 2002 2:06 am


Ok, I have to go to bed now. Post and I will check in the morning.

Julian
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Dec 13, 2002 2:07 am


If a non-profit can not be found. I'll pay the adoption fee.

As a CPA, I strongly disagree with this policy. Many rescues do not have the legal start up cash to do the filing.

It will be my Christmas gift to the pigs.

Post Reply
60 posts