Transporting Guinea Pigs between Canada & the US

Jp530

Post   » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:28 am

I heard somewhere that theres been a couple of reports of guinea pigs dying from flying. I couldnt tell you where i found it though but ill try and find something.

Jp530

Post   » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:37 am

I guess I was a little bit wrong because I looked it up and found out that they can't be flown in cargo because it isnt temperature sealed so they would get too hot and die.

chouchouwang

Post   » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:26 pm

I'm moving to Canada from Los Angeles in June. I'm debating whether I should take my two piggies on a plane. I've searched all available airlines. Only United and Delta allow guinea pigs on board but they will have to be checked in as baggage. The airlines say the baggage compartment is temperature-controlled and safe. The flight will be about 5 hours.

Does anyone have experience with flying guinea pigs as checked baggage? I want to be absolutely sure before taking my pigs on a plane. Thanks very much for your help.

shanachie05

Post   » Mon May 09, 2011 8:04 pm

My mother had experience with flying a guinea pig. She had a PEW peruvian and flew with her a number of times from Buffalo to Albuquerque, on a regular basis, about twice or three times a year round trip.
She flew Southwest and bought a seat for the pig as well as for herself. The pig was in a small cat carrier and fit under the seat in front of her. My mom is very outgoing and chatty, so quite often, she made friends by educating them about the guinea pig and always was able to get Penelope to "purr". Penelope lived to be for 8 years old before she died a few months ago. Pretty neat guinea pig ambassador, she was...

Kermie831

Post   » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:29 pm

Pardon the whiplash, but I'm really interested in this boy:

viewtopic.php?t=65555

The old link for Canada to USA on this thread doesn't work, but I found this one:

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export ... pets.shtml

Does this mean we can get him transported? Lana said she can pick him up, if he has a home and a ride. I can probably get transportation for him as far as Buffalo NY, but its the country hop I'm worried about.

I tried to call the 301 number, but of course its a 8-5 M-F office.

Help! :)