Six pigs in need of a home in Watertown, MA

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:27 pm

Posting, from an email I received:

I was contacted by a person with six guinea pigs thrust upon them from a friend who could no longer care for the guinea pigs. She does not want them and has already had them for a week. They are considering giving them to PetCo (who said they'd take them), but are trying to find a good home for them, that will care for them and not split them up.

There are four females and two males, kept in two separate cages. The sows seem to be bonded, as are the pair of boars. They're all about 1-2 years old, siblings, half-siblings and/or cousins (the originally owner had a mis-sexed pair, and failed to remove baby boars in time, so ended up with a few litters). They are short-haired pigs, although some may have skinny-pig genes (since one of the original pair was a skinny). Pigs are brown and white, and brown/white/black. All seem to be in good health.

Please contact me if you can give them a good home. I suspect she'd prefer if they were gone before this weekend, and may bring them to Petco if she doesn't get any offers in the next several days.

Thanks.

veckard

Post   » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:41 pm

I would take them, but I think 17 would be a bit too many. :(

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:56 pm

Pooks, could she bring them to the Pignic? (We're down to just two pigs at our place, so who knows...)

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:19 pm

She's away this weekend. I had suggested it, or at least to get me pictures (I loved that one person's idea with the business card with her pig's information on it, to hand out at the pignic one year).

If I *knew* I wouldn't be going home with six pigs, I'd try to take them off of her hands to bring to the pignic myself. But I have no idea what these pigs are actually like, and there's no way I can house six more pigs at my place.

Heck - porting 8 pigs to the pignic - Rob would think I've lost my mind!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:43 pm

Would MSPCA be a better alternative than petno?

Ledasmom

Post   » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:51 pm

I could take either the two boars or the four sows, but not until we get back from vacation on July 1. Could anyone possibly take them until then?

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:20 pm

I had thought about suggesting that. But I'm guessing that PetCo is not asking for a surrender fee, and I'm sure that the MSPCA would? Doesn't make it right, but I can imagine a no-fee drop off down the street is more appealing than going into Boston.

But I will suggest it to her, anyway.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:26 pm

I volunteer to transport them to the MSPCA.

rpaws

Post   » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:28 am

Ledasmom,
There is a slight possibility I might be able to take some guinea pigs until July 1.

The reason for hesitation is I have to find a new apartment (mentioned in another thread).

Where I am I'm 'paid up' until August 1. I'm asking the new place where I applied, which is empty right now, give me a move in date of July 1. Depending on the logistics - getting back paid rent, getting approved for new place, finding movers, scheduling moving date, finding movers, packing, switching air conditioner window units, from apartment to apartment, etc.- I might be able to help.

Both places are set so the guinea pigs can be quarantined from my guinea pigs. I’m just already worried about how the moving will stress the present guinea pigs along with keeping them cool with moving in July/August.

BostonPigLover

Post   » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:55 pm

The MSPCA doesn't charge a surrender fee, but they do ask for a donation. I hope these guys find homes.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:32 pm

Bummer. They brought them to the PetCo in Waltham last night. So frustrating that she contacted me only yesterday afternoon. Basically, unless I could reply that I would take them on the spot, they were going. Why reach out at all if you can't/won't give a person a bit of time to try? Maybe she figured I would be in the position to pick them up immediately.

Bah.

Sorry about that, guys. Thanks for your interest. I really hope they find good homes, and that they do remain in bonded groups.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:39 pm

That's sad, but you did what you could. People make up their minds that the animals need to leave YESTERDAY and then act on it. :-(