Six pigs in need of a home in Watertown, MA

Ledasmom

Post   » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:46 pm

If you think they'll be okay, no problem. Have they been on fleece, shavings or what? I want to make sure they've got what they're used to.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:25 pm

We will expect baby pictures, of course, you know. ;-)

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:34 pm

Sounds like you'll be gone the same time I am, or I'd volunteer.

Have a nice time at the Cape!

mab0615

Post   » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:58 pm

I could help and pigsit if you need me to.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2017

Post   » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:10 am

Thanks, you guys! I'm sure we'll need all your help. We'll keep you posted. Right now we're enjoying the excitement of feeling the babies squirm and trying not to think about everything else!

Ledasmom

Post   » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:39 am

Well, that kinda puts the final kibosh on the "growth spurt" theory, doesn't it?
How big should a cage for two pregnant girls/two girls with babies be?

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2017

Post   » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:59 am

We have all four girls in a 5x2; not as big as it should be, but not terrible. For our other two litters, we put the new family in a large petstore cage on towels and fleece for the first couple of weeks. Maybe we'll keep them all together this time.

In the big cages, we've generally used a deep layer of shavings. I like the idea of fleece, but we are hay-spewers, not hay-rackers, and washing fleece that was full of hay bits would wreck the washing machine. The pigs don't seem to care much as long as you supply lots of food.

bernergirl

Post   » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:00 am

If you need my help let me know. I think I am halfway between you and the Cape.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:16 pm

You all probably already know this but be sure to babyproof the cage.

http://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showgallery.php/cat/532

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2017

Post   » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:52 pm

Yep, we'll be careful. We came home to surprise babies with the first batch--we thought she had another week for sure. As I was frantically trying to count them, one launched himself over the coroplast and nearly made it through the grids. Only a few hours old and they could run like stags!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:29 pm

I hope all goes smoothly, that you get to thoroughly enjoy their babyhood, then are able to place them into great, top-quality permanent homes quickly.

Critter Connecti
Supporter in '12

Post   » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:50 pm

mmeadow, let me know if you need help.

Ledasmom

Post   » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:28 pm

How are the girls doing?
We're crossing our fingers, but Warrior and Burglar have been in an undivided cage for over two hours now and no serious conflict (some noise and running around, but that's the worst). They were kinda peeved about the bath, though.

mab0615

Post   » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:20 pm

Congrats on the babies. NOW, WHERE ARE THE PICTURES? Sorry for yelling.....but you know how we feel about baby piggies.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2017

Post   » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:09 am

Baby and Whiskers are growing...Don't know when they will pop 'em out, but we're leaving in 8 eight days for a week's vacation. Very poor timing! LedasMom, if you still want to pigsit, we'll be in touch! Baby piggies are amazingly cute.
Somehow I haven't gotten very good pictures of them, but here goes.

Whiskers and her tummy

Shelly and her big head. Big dumb loveable lap pig.

Tabby (named because Teddy+Abby=Tabby)

Baby (burgeoning tummy not visible, but she's got at least three in there...)

Ledasmom

Post   » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:24 am

Aw! Baby's face looks so much like Burglar's, and Whiskers's head looks like Warrior's - but her body and butt colors are reversed from his. Yes, I'm up for pigsitting; we're building another cage now (well, technically we're looking at the coroplast and grids in a thoughtful way. But cagebuilding will follow very very shortly, promise!) and wondering if a gentle ramp down from the girls' cage might be appropriate, for getting them out at floortime. Any ramp would have sides and a nice secure floor, of course, and only be used with supervision.
Just how big are Tabby and Shelly? I remember when I saw them they looked quite enormous compared to Baby and Whiskers, almost like a different species of guinea pig. Of course with Tabby, a lot of that could be the foofy hair.
Incidentally, mmeadow, if you need to call me for any reason don't try the cell phone - I left my charger at my mother's while we were vacationing there and until it's mailed back the phone is dead. I'll email you the other number in case you need it.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2017

Post   » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:58 pm

A partly-sad update. Baby had a large stillborn at 1:15 this afternoon. At 2:00 there was no sign of the other babies so I took her to Angell Animal Medical Center. The hospital just called me to say that Baby is doing well after a c-section and spay; they delivered a baby who is also doing well. (Sadly, there was another dead pup.)

Whiskers doesn't show signs of pelvic separation (as Baby did the past few days), and she's isn't "great with child" like Baby was, so I don't know what happens next with her!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:12 pm

I'm very sorry to hear about the two deaths, but glad that Baby and her surviving pup are doing well.

JennG
In Memory of Mama

Post   » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:36 pm

Poor babies but glad to hear mom & other pup are doing well.

shindy77

Post   » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:19 pm

How is Whiskers coming along?

114 posts