Foster/Forever Home needed in Cleveland

GuineaPigGoddess

Post   » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:51 pm

The girls have their first salad! At first they were afraid of the vast red & green, but quickly warmed up and gobbled that good stuff down!

Isn't she pretty?
Uhm, with Pixie being a satin, I know satins are prone to a few diseases. What diseases could possibly be in her future? I can't wait 'till the morning so I can turn of that horrid flash and get some nice pictures.

Topaz

Post   » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:13 pm

Such gorgeous girls!

Debs4Pigs

Post   » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:13 pm

Boy, are they both beautiful!!

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:55 pm

Both the girls are lovely.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:05 am

Biggest thing to be on the lookout for with the satin is osteodystrophy (? sp ?) ... fancy word for bone loss. Satins can have other health issues as well (prone to dental problems IIRC), but the biggest one will be bone loss.

If you have some spare Christmas cash with nothing else to do with it (ha!), consider taking her to the vet for a baseline x-ray. If she develops calcium leaching later on, the vet will have something to compare to.

They are both beautiful and look to be in good shape. Again, thank you and bless you for helping them.

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:33 am

They are beautiful! You've given them the best present ever!

Maisiesmom
Supporter in '11

Post   » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:30 am

What cute little girls. They will have you wrapped around their little paws in no time. Pixie is working hard on her "adorable face" in that last picture.

xgixanimallover

Post   » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:44 pm

There beautiful, do you think you will keep them?
I remember you saying how most of your guinea pigs found you, these little girls surely did that too!

rkog

Post   » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:17 pm

What beautiful young ladies you have! Kudos to you for getting them, and good luck just "fostering" them.

GuineaPigGoddess

Post   » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:40 pm

I remember you saying how most of your guinea pigs found you, these little girls surely did that too!

Ah, yes that's true! I don't remember one time actually purposely looking to adopt a pig, they seem to find their ways to me. Leaves me a lot of good stories to share. :)

Here's some takes of a photoshoot today with them!

Today I noticed Pixie was wheezing a bit, so I went to check the bedding they've been on for the past 6 months at their past home. It smelled very strong, much stronger than my kiln dried pine that I use for my bunbun. I could smell it clearly through the bag, whereas the kiln dried is hard to smell, even if outside the bag. I do have some antibiotics (got it early December), should I give that to her until I can get them to the vet this weekend? I'm afraid it could be a URI and Miss Dixie has shown no wheezing yet, I'd hate for them both to have it. If I give her the antibiotics and she does NOT have a URI, will it hurt her?

rkog

Post   » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:38 am

When Snickers passed, Mocha was given SMZ (purple stuff) as a precaution. The vet set it woulsn't hurt her if she wasn't sick. Obviously, you need to monitor for intolerance. I'd start it if I were you. There is not a decent ER vet where I live, and I'd be worried about an illness over a holiday.Unless you know you'd have another option if the piggy got worse, I'd err on the side of giving her the medicine. Healing vibes your way!

LandosMomma

Post   » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:26 pm

Foster failure ;) I knew they wouldn't be going anywhere. What doll babies!