12 plus skinny pigs coming in to rescue

LandosMomma

Post   » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:53 pm

Hello everyone. I am going to be picking up 12 skinny pigs on Saturday. (I hope) I am really hoping they are healthy. I know 2 babies might be blind. I am still on the fence about adoptions but if there are guinea lynx members interested please let me know.

CavyPrincesses

Post   » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:14 pm

Wow! That is a lot of piggies and they're skinnies! I hope they all are healthy and find a warm home to stay throughout the winter and hopefully forever :) Good luck LandosMomma! Thanks for rescuing these little ones!

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2017

Post   » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:24 pm

Good luck and keep us posted.

GuineaKidsMomma

Post   » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:28 am

Those cuties will be lucky to have you, especially the two that may be blind!

LandosMomma

Post   » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:40 am

Thanks everyone, this will be the most skinnies I have ever had in the house. I know some are pink and some are brown. He said some are 'pinto' colored. I not sure what that is? Anyone know?

LittleGreys

Post   » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:44 am

I saw one breeder (the one with the werewolf skinnies) advertising what looked to me like a calico, she called it a rainbow and was asking $150 for it because it was a "rare" color. :-( I would guess maybe that is what he is calling a pinto, maybe white or pink with colored patches?

3andahalfpigs

Post   » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:55 am

you know I am interested! Keep me updated and sent pics I can't wait to see how cute these little loves are!

LandosMomma

Post   » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:12 pm

I'm taking the Flip camera with me. So hopefully I will be able to get pics pretty soon after I pick them up. Thanks for the info, I saw pinto colored horses online, so I'm guessing it is the same thing?

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2014

Post   » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:22 pm

In horses a Pinto is one that has white patches with patches of any other color (like what LittleGreys said). The same thing in guinea pigs is referred to as "broken" color. Were you able to find out any background info about them? Will you be rescuing any haired carriers as well?

LandosMomma

Post   » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:39 pm

He is supposed to have some information for me to go with them. I hope he does. I do know he has been inbreeding, he said that much already.

onetwo

Post   » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:10 pm

Uggg no fair I have been looking for a skinny for 3 years. I will not buy from a breeder or store so waiting for a skinny to be available at a rescue or rehome is taking FOREVER! There are like no piggies here at rescues anyways. Most rescues only get 6-12 a year... If anyone near virginia is going to have a skinny available in June let me know as I am driving from Central Minnesota to Virginia for my niece's graduation...

GuineaPigGoddess

Post   » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:07 pm

I'm with onetwo, I've been waiting for a skinny to show up in my area for 3 years. :P

I can't wait to see the pics! I can either foster or adopt if you really need the help. The blind ones tug at my heart.

skinnypigs1
Supporter in '12

Post   » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:51 pm

Oh golly, I am sooooo excited to see some pictures.

LandosMomma

Post   » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:53 pm

If they are healthy, I will take applications for them. If we still have one in June, I have family in VA and maybe we can arrange something!

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2014

Post   » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:28 pm

Landos, if they have been bred without haired carriers see if you can find out for how many generations. Knowing that could help you prepare for possible health issues.

LandosMomma

Post   » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:39 am

Thank you PinkRufus! I am headed out now. It will take about 6 hours or so to get there. Fingers crossed everyone!!

skinnypigs1
Supporter in '12

Post   » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:07 am

Oh I just can't wait to hear about them, hope it is all good news.

onetwo

Post   » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:57 am

Landosmomma- Thank you so much for the offer! Fingers crossed for healthy well cared for piggies. I have had guinea pigs for 17 years and am very experiences with health issues. I have never had a skinny before but I have been doing my research. I would be so happy if I could adopt a skinny or two from someone. Obviously June is a few months away so anything could happen in that time. I will be sure to keep an eye out.

LandosMomma

Post   » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:36 pm

We made it here through some really bad ice storms today. I'm at my sisters and thought it best to go in the morning to get the pigs. I didn't want them travelling in such crappy weather (or us). I am so anxious to get them it is killing me! I just have to snuggle my sisters precious Peruvian babies until then!

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2014

Post   » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:09 pm

Do you have heat packs to put in the carriers with them?

658 posts