20+ guinea pigs in shelter in San Gabriel need help!

Charybdis

Post   » Mon Jul 07, 2003 9:00 pm

I received an email today that there are at least 20 guinea pigs of different ages and sexes, all housed together in very poor conditions, at the San Gabriel Humane Society. They are set to be euthanized tomorrow.

I will be going to the shelter first thing in the morning to separate the sexes and assess the sick.

We need major help here. The board has put a freeze on the rescue due to the recent adoption returns. They won't let me take any in.

I need volunteers, fosters, support, a few extra hands, and supplies if I'm going to help these pigs.

Can anyone help?

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Mon Jul 07, 2003 9:09 pm

I'm right by San Gabriel. I can't take in anymore pigs and I have class in weird chunks of the day but I can sneak away for a few hours at a time to help any way I can.

I'm free in the morning until 1. Then I'll be free 2ish til 6.

Charybdis

Post   » Mon Jul 07, 2003 9:10 pm

Thank God, Amy--I was just about to call you. Can you meet me at the shelter in the morning?

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Mon Jul 07, 2003 9:10 pm

I have a lab in the morning but I can probably get there around 10. Is that too late?

Charybdis

Post   » Mon Jul 07, 2003 9:37 pm

I will be there at 9. The volunteer thinks that she can get me in early.

So far, I've found a place for 2.

Charybdis

Post   » Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:28 am

Here's where things are right now:

Chunkypiggies and I are going to go down there in the a.m. to do triage and take pictures. We have another volunteer coming to help bathe and medicate.

Fenella in San Diego says she can take as many as 12 and I will be driving them down there after we sort out everything at the shelter. I can take 5.

This leaves somewhere in the vicinity of 10 pigs who are in danger of being euthanized very soon. Moms and babies too.

Apparently, they were seized by AC from a private residence. This is a high-kill shelter that charges a 5$ adoption fee.

KidCatGerbilMom

Post   » Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:32 am

Oh my I wish I lived there I would take in as many as I could...But I am way up here in Seattle :-( Best of luck to those poor piggies though!

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:32 am

And remember... we likely have pregnant pigs too. So we need fosters and homes for unborn pups.

Better start posting some flyers up. I'll visit some vet offices this week.

KCGM- Thanks! We can fedex a few pigs to you! ;-)
Love your sig.

BlueMoon

Post   » Tue Jul 08, 2003 10:09 am

You can Fedex a few to me in Atlanta.

KidCatGerbilMom

Post   » Tue Jul 08, 2003 11:34 am

<waits patiently for her delivery from the FedEx man>

jennylynn
GL Junkie

Post   » Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:26 pm

Hey Chary, if you have a male Abby with a somewhat submissive personality in that bunch (Joey is an in-your-face kind of guy sometimes), I'd be willing to give him a home. The only problem is I can't really drive too far... (I'm the on-call person for the next 2 months and have to be able to get back to work in a timely fashion, should a situation arise.)

Think it would be possible to somehow work out transportation?

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:29 pm

I believe they are all Americans. Most are super tiny, some not even weaned yet. There are two older females that are very pregnant. All went ok. One pig has very bad mites, other than that, the pigs look to be in decent condition.

With permission from Chary.. I can post some pix :) I should have them all cropped and loaded on my ImageEvent page by late late tonight.

Hope the transport is going well, chary.

jessicariekena
Pigs n' Pine

Post   » Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:59 pm

If anyone's heading to the east coast let me know. I don't have any pigs taking over the bedroom, yet :)

Charybdis

Post   » Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:52 pm

Post away, CP.

We made it to San Diego and are just waiting for Fenella to get home from work. She is taking the 7 females and 1 unweaned male and I have 4 baby males and 2 adults at my house, one of which is the one with a bad case of mites.

I don't understand why the rest look fine but this one has a back end full of scabs. Hm.

Yes, they are all Americans. Chocolate/Orange/White broken, every last one of them. It is obvious that they are related.

And here is the disturbing part (aside from the conditions, which you will see in the photos that CP snuck away with): 28 pigs came into the shelter last Wednesday. That's what it says on the impound paperwork. They were on a stray hold that was supposed to last 6 days, so not counting the holiday, they were to be released tomorrow. That means that they were not allowed to euthanize them or adopt them out.

But there were only 16 pigs there today. The front desk personnel and the kennel staff did not have a clue what happened to them. Then they paged a certain employee and she came to the front. She and the desk employee who were helping me went into the back room, where I could see them talking for over a minute. Then the desk employee came back and said that they still didn't know what happened to them.

So, on our way out, I commented to the shelter director (whom I had met when I came in and who kindly released them to us one day early without any fee) that it was a little odd that there were 12 pigs less than on the impound report. He seemed alarmed, and the employee who was helping me was standing behind him. She looked afraid.

Advice, now. How far and in what manner can/should I pursue what happened to these 12 missing pigs? My instinct says that, if the shelter director is willing to let 16 go without charge and break the stray law as well (without even asking me for any identification!), then what other laws could the shelter be breaking?

I find it impossible to believe that, in 6 days' time over a holiday weekend, this ancient, tiny, decrepit shelter in a bad neighborhood found homes for 12 pigs.

I think they euthed them.

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:12 pm

Or snake food.

I got to leave for school riught now but I'll post a few pictures first.

Here is a picture of where some of them were kept:

Charybdis

Post   » Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:15 pm

I really don't think there are 12 huge snakes that suddenly became hungry in San Gabriel over July 4th weekend.

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:17 pm

Here is a happy ending for the ones we did get to...
There FIRST real meal (probably)

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:17 pm

Will post more when I get back.

SusieQ
Scrapbook Addict

Post   » Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:20 pm

They're gorgeous... I hope you can find homes for them all.

kiceberg

Post   » Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:30 pm

Get a hold of the local newspaper. See if they'll do a story. Hint that there may need to be an "investigation" ( you know how journalists are ). Also, in the community where I live, the local TV stations seem to always have some kind of "human interest" story running where people can call in with their story ( in fact, one of the stations has entitled theirs, "Your Story" ). Recently, they did a story about the local county-run golf course that had certain time slots where just "regular people" could never seem to get a tee time, due to a men's league. The station did an "investigation" and some possible wrong doing was discovered...although I don't know what the outcome will be. Maybe in this case, a local station may be interested in pursuing where those missing pigs went to. Publicity could also help bring in potential adopters. They need to be held accountable for any wrong-doing.

139 posts