20+ guinea pigs in shelter in San Gabriel need help!

Charybdis

Post   » Wed Jul 09, 2003 3:03 am

The females got to Fenella ok. She pointed out that they all have lice, which I didn't catch. Luckily we had dosed them all with Ivermectin first thing.

Fenella agreed that the pregnant females were probably not the moms. There were several 2 week old babies in there (all female but one), but none of them were nursing. And the older females are too far along to be the moms.

She also thought that a shelter worker had taken the 12 pigs to feed their reptiles. But CP and I were talking about the possibility that someone sold them to a lab.

I don't even know where to begin investigating. And I'm unwilling to let it go.

Teresa

Post   » Wed Jul 09, 2003 3:15 am

I would pursue it. If it's not good (and it doesn't sound like it is), by stirring things up, you may prevent it from happening again.

The two sows that I got into a home tonight that would have been euth'd tonight or tomorrow are very nice. One's a peruvian.

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Wed Jul 09, 2003 3:18 am

I finished editing the pictures of the rescue process today.

If anyone is interested, I have lots of pictures here:
www.imageevent.com/ammerris/sangabrielhspigs/

Charybdis

Post   » Wed Jul 09, 2003 3:18 am

That's great. I was just down at Wee Companions--she has 92 animals. Pigs everywhere. Gorgeous, all breeds, ages, colors. Most males are neutered. I wish she were closer to here.

Amy, you did a great job with the album.

lisam

Post   » Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:57 am

Man, that place looks like a dump. Are most shelters like that? What a lot of cute pigs. Who is Daniel and Kathy? I don't think I've seen CP and Chary before--you guys are pretty.

Definitely look into the case of the missing pigs. At my local feed store they used to sell pigs. I discovered that if they didn't sell in a timely manner, one of the employees would take them home for her snake.

Charybdis

Post   » Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:19 pm

Daniel is a volunteer. He is Humphrey's owner. His mom and sister both volunteer also. Kathy is our educational coordinator and one of our fosters.

Most shelters out here are kind of dumpy but this one is particularly bad. Those hutches had actually just been cleaned recently. The volunteer said that they were much worse when she found them. There are lots of rabbits in there. No hay. Flies everywhere because the place is so poorly kept.

When we got there, they were spraying the dog kennels out with the dogs in them, which I always hate to see. We spent our whole time there with our feet in unsanitary water and my shoe had a hole in it. Blech.

I'm going to do some research today on how to find out about those missing pigs.

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:51 pm

The shelter I volunteer at is in MUCH better shape. BUt then again, that shelter gets lots of sponsors and donations. They even had a float in the Rose Parade during New Years.

Charybdis

Post   » Wed Jul 09, 2003 1:16 pm

Yes, that's a much nicer shelter.

I sent off a letter to L.A. Animal Services. I did not identify the shelter, although they are probably already working on covering it up.

Winter

Post   » Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:51 am

Well I hope you guys find out about those missing pigs. Hopefully something is done. If the director truly seemed unknowledgeable about the missing pigs maybe his volunteers/workers did something. Just terrible though. Poor pigs.
You guys do so much good. They say you can't change the world but for some creatures you can. Makes me think of that Garth Brooks sonng...The Change, I think that's it.

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Thu Jul 10, 2003 1:02 am

I wonder how Chary is doing in respect to that situation. Those poor missing pigs. At least the 16 we did get to are in good hands.

Charybdis

Post   » Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:50 am

No word back on the letter I wrote to the director of L.A. Animal Services. I'm going to talk to Caroline (of TBB) about it tomorrow--maybe she will have some ideas.

I don't want to push them until I find out what our rights are.

BTW, it turns out that they weren't dumped on a volunteer's doorstep. It was a lie.

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:55 am

Hmm.. how did they get to the shelter then?