20+ guinea pigs in shelter in San Gabriel need help!

Charybdis

Post   » Sat Jul 12, 2003 10:04 pm

I'm considering that, but since the director has already told me that they were "adopted," I don't think that he is going to cop to a lie.

It's really too bad. If we couldn't take them, we at least could have tried to shift them elsewhere. I just don't like the fact that they might do this with every guinea pig they get in rather than calling us.

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Sat Jul 12, 2003 10:08 pm

I guess the only thing we can do is try to establish a decent relationship so that in the future, they may calll us when they get guinea pigs.
Maybe they resorted to that with the asumption that these 28 were going to be euthanized anyways. They probably never expected a rescue to come along and take them.

Charybdis

Post   » Sat Jul 12, 2003 10:13 pm

I agree. At least now we have contacts there. They all have my phone number and I think CC at least will call us right away next time.

MelNH

Post   » Sat Jul 12, 2003 10:40 pm

I should clarify that I, in no way, feel that its right that an animal shelter would give away guinea pigs to a lab, for food or any other reason. Their only objective should be to place those that they can in loving 'forever' homes.

I was just trying to think of the best possible scenario out of a rather long list of grisly ones. If someone had come and taken 12 adult guinea pigs out of the kindness of their heart then employees wouldn't be so evasive with their answers to your questions. Perhaps its as simple as the animals died in their care for some reason (heat? already sick?) and they are trying to cover it up for fear their reputation will be ruined?

Most reptile owners either breed their own feeders or order them from a supplier that breeds the animal specifically for reptile food purposes. It makes no sense to me, unless, someone was thinking eh free meat...that means that someone working in that shelter had a snake or knows someone who has a snake. Thats kinda scary when you think about it...whats going to stop it from happening again? What if this paticular shelter has been actively dumping pigs and rabbits as feeders?

The other scenarios are even more grisly...the thoughts of what kids in their teens are capable of doing in the name of 'fun'. One can only hope that they didn't get taken home and used for 'funny' expiriments or taken outside for target practice. Or perhaps some 'kind' lady took him some guinea pigs to add to her breeding population. Maybe being overrun the shelter director immediately ordered the termination of any of the adults....even though it was against that law. The ladder not being SO horrible so long as it was euthanization by someone who knew what they were doing...ah well one can hope.

My opinion is what you have already decided to do anyways. Start a relationship with this shelter, at least give them an 'out' should they end up with guinea pigs they don't want to provide care for.

Charybdis

Post   » Sat Jul 12, 2003 10:41 pm

Gee thanks, for more horrors dancing in my brain. I was already have nightmares about them being frozen alive.

MelNH

Post   » Sat Jul 12, 2003 10:51 pm

my apologies

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sat Jul 12, 2003 10:54 pm

MelNH, did you take the personality test? You're a rationalist huh?

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Sat Jul 12, 2003 10:55 pm

Ugh.. I feel sick. Thanks.

zmom24piggies

Post   » Sat Jul 12, 2003 10:58 pm

That's soo sad about the other piggies but I'm betting also they didn't think a rescue would be coming along and proably put the others to sleep :(
But good thing they will call you the next time about when they get another bunch of guinea pigs. btw is Burbank Animal Shelter a kill shelter too ? What are there response in handling guinea pig situation ? Because I saw at least four guinea pigs in that shelter older boars.

I know that the petstore here gets their piggies from breeders every wednesday and I would love to educate them more better than just a care sheet they give and so how do you think I could end up doing that to prevent things that have happened to patchy ?

Charybdis

Post   » Sat Jul 12, 2003 11:13 pm

zmom, I didn't know about the pigs at the Burbank shelter. Can you get a look at them so see if they are separated (males from females) and if they are being housed properly and given the proper diet? It would be great if we could get some digital pics. I don't think that shelter has a website but I will look.

As far as educating the pet stores goes, one thing to do is to ask for their care sheet and to help them make changes when it gives misinformation. Another is to regularly go there and help them separate the pigs and make sure they are being fed and cleaned. We love to do adoption/education days at pet stores because it gives us a chance to reach their public.

So if you would like to volunteer to do adoption days at that pet store (we don't really adopt out pigs, we just bring them and give out information), let me know the information on the store's name and location.

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Sat Jul 12, 2003 11:16 pm

Hey zmom!
We can both be Chary's shelter spies! Just drop in on your nearby shelters now and then and see if they have guinea pigs. If they do, see what kind of shape they are in and ask the shelter if you can bring in hay and pellets for the pigs. Then notify Chary to see if we can get them out.

PHS didn't let me bring in veggies and hay. They were really insulted when I mentioned that the pigs didn't have the right stuff.

Charybdis

Post   » Sat Jul 12, 2003 11:17 pm

Ah I see. Yes Burbank does have a website: http://www.basv.org/volunteer/adoption.cfm?animaltype=3

It looks like they have 5 boys. It actually looks like a nice shelter. I will link to them on our website.

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Sat Jul 12, 2003 11:20 pm

Its funny how you can tell if a shelter is "nice" just by their website (or lack there of).

If they bother to put up pictures of their animals, particularly the small animals, it just feels like they put out the effort to get them homes.

Charybdis

Post   » Sat Jul 12, 2003 11:38 pm

Yes, I think so too. I just wrote them a nice email and put their link on our website.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Jul 12, 2003 11:50 pm

Hang on a minute. There are some guinea pig rescues that really don't have time to do the picture thing. If you aren't internet saavy or don't have time to keep it current, you may not do it. It should not reflect badly on a rescue.

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Sat Jul 12, 2003 11:56 pm

We're not refering to rescues, we re refering to city rescues and shelters. I know PHS' website and pictures are all taken and put together by (some) staff and (mostly) volunteers.

Charybdis

Post   » Sun Jul 13, 2003 12:33 am

I think CP realizes that, Lynx. What she is talking about are the city shelters, HS, etc. who do not ever post that they have guinea pigs but somehow find time to take pictures of their dogs and cats.

She didn't say anything about guinea pig rescues in particular. Burbank is a shelter.

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Sun Jul 13, 2003 12:38 am

Some don't even have pic of their dogs and cats. SGHS has a very crummy page thats never updated and the pictures are horrible.

I love how Burbank has little descriptions of their animals, put they ought to take pic of their dogs without that cage between them.

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Sun Jul 13, 2003 1:35 am

Hey Chary! I got a better pic of "Up to No Good", is that his name? You may want to use this one, I emailed an attachment for you too.

zmom24piggies

Post   » Sun Jul 13, 2003 1:51 am

I do know that petmania thats closer to universal city has improper housing and housed with a bunny. They didn't know the sex of the guinea pigs and they don't have the proper guinea pig food sold their. I don't think they even have a care sheet so that place would definetly be a result of guinea pigs get neglected by not being educated.

Petco here is a better than SF Bay area one and definetly better than the Pet Mania Petstore and then there is Burbank Pet Plaza which I haven't been to ages. Petco proably would not mind of helping out with Rescue adoptions day and having further education. They just had a bunch of kittens and older cats from a rescue there and they also do fundraisers when there is a cat that is ill and I forgot what this issue was. Petco CareSheet for Guinea Pigs for this Petco has four questionaires when it asks are guinea pigs are the right companion animal for you.

They say gpigs need High quality guinea pig food, 20%protein, 4% fat and maxium of 20% fiber .

They do say small amounts of hay which as we know should be changed to unlimited amounts of hay. Fruits and veggies plus they say 30-50 mg Vitamin C From vitamin supplements, parsley citrus fruits.

They do say if the temperature gets too hot put a frozen water bottle in the habbitat and avoid drafty areas and direct sunlight. They say the largest habitat is more preferable. they say pine shaving or pelleted/recycled paper is okay for bedding. They say cedar may cause harm and so it is not recommended.

Okay they do say Exercise wheels and plastic balls may cause injury to guinea pigs and should be used carefully. If guinea pigs chew them remove them immediately to prevent internal harm which that should be more further educated into teaching that those things can cause external damage and should not be used with guinea pigs.

Guinea Pigs stay clean and rarely need baths ?

They talk of things needing for their teeth to chew on because their teeth grow continously .

Plus they mention nail trimming every six weeks.

They also discuss the Common Health Issues Diarrhea, Malocclusion, Mites, scurvy.

Say red flags of illnessess, weight loss, distressed breathing, skin lesion, abnormal hair loss, lethargic, overwon teeth, diarrhea or dirty botom, eye or nasal discharge.

That's the only summarized of that care sheet at petco.

Tell me what you think ?

139 posts