20+ guinea pigs in shelter in San Gabriel need help!

Charybdis

Post   » Sun Jul 13, 2003 3:14 am

It's not too bad, especially since the PetSmart care sheet recommends "alfalfa OR timothy" as the staple diet. PetCo, unfortunately, usually takes horrible care of their cavies.

But that care sheet sounds not too bad. Yes it would be great to try to get them to change the weak points, but that's something that generally has to be done at the corporate level. So we just run off Teresa's care sheets and bring them in. See:
http://www.petstorecaresheets.com

The pet store without the care sheet is violating the law. I would report them to AC.

There's a little Peruvian girl at PHS, did you see her?
http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=1862401
I know someone in South Bay looking for a long haired female and will call him tomorrow.

CP, you were close. It's "Here Comes Trouble."

zmom24piggies

Post   » Sun Jul 13, 2003 3:30 am

Yup. I saw that lil one and that was why I was doing the humane society question wondering if she's gonna be another he. Such a cutie pie! I do plan on stopping over at the Burbank Animal Shelter and then at that petmania store and burbank pet plaza to see if they for sure have a care sheet and if they don't i will call the AC and then what would you think they would do ?

BLM

Post   » Sat Jul 19, 2003 6:50 pm

Hi,
I was reading about the San Gabriel rescues (haven't read the entire thread, though). We have a lone boar, 1 yr old. He probably needs a buddy, and we'd like to consider adopting a younger one. Problem is, it is a long drive to there for us (too far to go back and forth if they were incompatible, and we specifically want to do this for his happiness- not as an extra cage situation), and we would need some guidance for paring them up safely. He has never had a cage mate since we got him as a baby, so I can't say how his personality would be in regards to that.

If anyone in the LA area can help us, please reply.

thanks,
B.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sat Jul 19, 2003 6:59 pm

www.nikspiggies.org

Email Nicole (Charybdis) and she might be able to help you.

Charybdis

Post   » Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:19 pm

BLM--we do a lot of boar introductions and have made many successful pairs.

We may have a foster home near you. If not, there are other rescuers all over Calif. and I can refer you to one. Email me at cavyhaven@earthlink.net or from the website that Holly provided.

Thanks, Holly.

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:44 pm

BLM- What part of So Cal are you at? I'm close to the SGHS.

Chary: if you ever have LA adopters, I can always transport pigs from you to LA if needed. :)

BLM

Post   » Sun Jul 20, 2003 2:07 am

the problem is that we are waaaaaayy out of the way from everywhere, with a lot of unpopulated miles between.
Inyo county... the closest big town is Lancaster/Palmdale, even that is about 3 1/2- 4 hrs drive from us, but is right outside of LA.

Ridgecrest is only about 2 1/2 hrs from us, but I have never heard of any GP rescues there.

zmom24piggies

Post   » Sun Jul 20, 2003 2:54 am

How far are you from Santa Barbara, Marin, Oceanside , Santa Rosa CA? ?

BLM

Post   » Sun Jul 20, 2003 3:37 am

it's alot farther to any of those places, and I never go to any of them.
every once in a while I do go to the Lancaster area, and it's a "do-able" drive there and back for me in the same day.
The LA/ Orange County areas, my husband goes to sometimes. It might work out for him to do a pick-up from there, but then there's the compatibility issue for the GP's.

PS, look up Bishop, Calif on a web map... hwy 395 north of LA.

Becky

Post   » Sun Jul 20, 2003 2:28 pm

I have a suggestion. My sister lives in Apple Valley. Would it be possible for all of you to meet there?

I'm sure she'd be more than happy to host a "date" to see how the pigs get along.

Charybdis

Post   » Sun Jul 20, 2003 4:18 pm

BLM, you're in Bishop! I'm an avid fan of the 395 myself. My master's thesis is on Randsburg.

I have a volunteer who regularly goes to Palmdale. And do you know that there is a guinea pig rescue in Bakersfield?

BLM

Post   » Mon Jul 21, 2003 6:33 pm

Charybdis,

Do you know whether or not your Palmdale-going volunteer has access to a place there for hosting a GP buddy intro? or would the results of such a session even be reliable for my GP, after a 4 hr drive in a small cage then suddenly he's tossed together with a new guy? sounds kinda stressful.
Might his reaction be totally different than on his home turf?

Would it be too risky to gamble on things turning out OK, if we were to just pick up a much younger male, and avoid putting him through the travel stress?

I really never go to Bakersfield.

PS, we really would like to be able to put some thought into which GP we choose, also. there are so many cute ones out there.

Charybdis

Post   » Mon Jul 21, 2003 6:40 pm

Risky situation either way. The volunteer has boars but is not "experienced" with introductions.

Generally, an adult will not hurt a baby. I usually try to pair older pigs with much younger pigs but there is always the factors of personality, cage space, available amenities, and hidden illnesses.

I really think that you should contact Kerri at the Bakersfield rescue. They may be able to meet you somewhere.

kbhanson3@bak.rr.com

Their pigs are on my website:

http://www.nikspiggies.org/Bakersfield.html

BLM

Post   » Mon Jul 21, 2003 7:10 pm

too many cuties on that Bakersfield page, LOL.

Charybdis

Post   » Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:24 pm

Those crested pigs in the center (the black and whites and the red and whites) are the litters from the pigs we rescued from Martinez.

http://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3372&highlight=martinez

They all look exactly like that. And so do their dads. We finally got rid of the last of our Martinez cresteds a month ago, but Kerri still has some.

Here are ours:

BLM

Post   » Thu Jul 24, 2003 1:10 pm

in viewing at kerri's adoption pics, it looks like her cresteds have to be adopted together, not individually.

Charybdis

Post   » Thu Jul 24, 2003 1:53 pm

She does have some who are still singles. What about Alvin? Bon Bon?

BLM

Post   » Thu Jul 24, 2003 4:13 pm

kerri referred me to the 1-800-save-a-pet.com site. Bon Bon was not on there (although the whities don't really charm us as much as the darkies), and I couldn't tell from Alvin's photo that he was a crested. anyway, me and the kids are torn between:
#1 Starbuck: because he just looks SO CUDDLY!
#2 Gideon: his hairdo is the BEST! and our Henry has sort of a mohawk,
#3 Louis (because he is a youngster and might be easier to match up).

I guess if age doesn't matter for compatibility, then Starbuck and Gideon are running a near tie "just by looks" and what is posted about them.... but Starbuck just seems to exude a huggles look, don't you think?

Charybdis

Post   » Thu Jul 24, 2003 7:27 pm

If you are matching with an adult boar, I would go with the youngest of the 3 babies.

139 posts