20+ guinea pigs in shelter in San Gabriel need help!

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Fri Jul 11, 2003 1:58 am

LOL Erin wanted us to stamp postage on his rump and send to her too.
Deputy Doofy is one popular pig.

Charybdis

Post   » Fri Jul 11, 2003 3:12 am

It's all in the camera eye. He's really not even as cute as pistachio.

No, we didn't get a pic of scabby rump. His name is Momma's Boy.

Still thinking of a name for number 6. I'm so sick right now I can't even think.

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Fri Jul 11, 2003 3:15 am

Deputy Doofy really reminds me of a hammie i had, Ozzie. Both have such sweet innocent looks in their eyes. :) I miss Ozzie.

paradigm_soul

Post   » Fri Jul 11, 2003 4:01 am

I felt like [removed]when I saw that picture of that piggy with the mite wound on it's back. It's sad to think that those pigs were left to wallow in their own feces in such horrid conditions. [removed]

I'm going to keep in touch with ChunkyPiggies on the status of those pigs.

[No smilies, please. They are discouraged on this site and the animated ones are verbotten -- Lynx]

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Fri Jul 11, 2003 12:52 pm

Kent- Smilies are a no no. Thats why that option isn't there in the reply page.

I've been fasinating ParadigmSoul with pigs. :D

gpservant

Post   » Fri Jul 11, 2003 3:31 pm

Does E have a new toy?

Let's see now. Two violations of GL posting etiquette. That's two pigs per violation. So PSoul needs to adopt four pigs from Chary or make a generous donation to her rescue. Anybody think that's a fair punishment?

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Fri Jul 11, 2003 6:12 pm

LOL leave him alone. He's just gained an interest in pigs and has been hanging around to read about them.

lisam

Post   » Fri Jul 11, 2003 6:44 pm

Keep it up, CP! The more recruits the better!

gpservant

Post   » Fri Jul 11, 2003 8:59 pm

It's good that PSoul is checkin out GL before getting a pig. I know somebody who got a pig from a pet store without doing any research. The pig turned out to be pregnant and had three babies. She kept the mom and one baby. Recently I asked her how her pigs were doing and she said "I got rid of them". I was so shocked that I didn't even bother to ask why or how she got rid of them. I assume they were just too much work for her. What's even worse is that she got a bunny to replace the pigs.

Charybdis

Post   » Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:38 pm

Update on the lost pigs:

I called the shelter manager today. He said that the pigs were adopted over the weekend. I said,

"How strange! The employees didn't seem to have any record of that."

To which he replied that, since the stray hold hadn't expired, the employees had been secretive about the adoptions. So then I said,

"Wow! That's quite a record--12 pigs in one weekend!"

So he said that well, one employee had been working particularly hard to get the pigs adopted. I then asked,

"Can you tell me her name? Because I really want to make sure that she has my number since she is so interested in guinea pigs. That way she can call me right away next time."

He gave me the name of the front desk employee who told me that she had no idea what happened to the pigs. I honestly believe that she didn't, because when she started to fill out the relinquish form, she put "28 guinea pigs" on the first line, and looked very surprised when I told her there were only 16.

We are being lied to. I am very close to giving their name to the AS director, but I'm doing just a little more investigation first.

SusieQ
Scrapbook Addict

Post   » Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:40 pm

So it sounds like the manager is in on it too, then, doesn't it? Or he wouldn't have specifically named someone. Although it seems pretty stupid of him to name someone with no idea what was going on.

This is a really sad story and I hope you can come to the bottom of it. Those poor pigs...

easygoer

Post   » Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:41 pm

Charybdis,

Have you considered contacting Lydia at http://www.eadieshouse.org/eadies/ ? Her missing-rat situation was very similar to yours and very close to home. I don't know how she tracked down those rats, but I do believe some were recovered.

I wish you all the luck in the world.

Charybdis

Post   » Fri Jul 11, 2003 11:27 pm

Holy cow. It just occurred to me to check the reptile stores in L.A. What kind of snake would I have if I was looking for a live adult guinea pig to feed it?

Red Blur
Chocolate Giver

Post   » Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:43 am

The only one I can think of is a Boa Constrictor (sp?).

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Sat Jul 12, 2003 2:16 am

I know this sounds CF5-ish but people make me damn sick.
This is suppose to be a friggin Humane Society.

paradigm_soul

Post   » Sat Jul 12, 2003 3:07 am

Originally posted by Lynx
No smilies, please. They are discouraged on this site and the animated ones are verbotten.
Lynxx sure lives up to that title of "Heartless Dictator" very well. Also, the use of spell check wouldn't hurt either. It’s verboten, not “verbotten”.

MelNH

Post   » Sat Jul 12, 2003 3:37 am

Large snakes like pythons and boas need to be fed large rodents such as guinea pigs and rabbits. They generally only get fed once a week and would probably be fed only 1 or 2 guinea pigs.

If they were given out as 'feeders' chances are you will not be able to track them down. The fact that all the missing guinea pigs were adults is a reasonable clue that they were in fact taken for food. To feed giant snakes they'll want rabbits or 'large' guinea pigs. It is also generally accepted among snake owners to feed frozen pre-thawed animals as opposed to live prey. The reason being its a) dangerous to feed a large snake using live prey makes it even more so and b) live prey could bite or otherwise injure the snake. The guinea pigs were probably frozen for use as food...12 guinea pigs is enough to feed one large snake for around a month or 2. While its sad, the snakes have to eat too, and with shelters being overburdened like they are its very easy for little animals like that to slip through the cracks. So I suppose that if they were taken as food, its not the worst thing in the world.

Also, its possible that there was a mix up somewhere along the line? Perhaps, there is not really that big of a conspiracy going on here...and people genuinely do not know exactly at which point things got screwed up. Perhaps those 12 missing guinea pigs never existed, in which case that would be the best outcome.

Either way, I hope for the best...especially for the guinea pigs that got rescued =D

Charybdis

Post   » Sat Jul 12, 2003 4:44 am

I don't think there was a mix-up. The impound report said "28 guinea pigs." It's too specific to be an error.

I'm afraid you are right about the reptile food. Of course I agree that snakes have to eat too. And that would be infinitely preferable to them being sold to a lab.

However, I can't just shrug it off because:

1) It was illegal; and
2) It is not a practice that we would want to encourage because I think we all can agree that the pigs would be better off in a rescue. And if that shelter has some deal where they sell all their guinea pigs to a reptile feeder then they are not a shelter at all, they are a capitalist middleman--a distributer of goods. This is not the role of a shelter, it is to protect animals, not sell them as food before they even have a chance to be adopted.

I am now hearing that this may be a private shelter.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Jul 12, 2003 8:18 am

I don't criticise people's spelling as I make enough of my own mistakes. And as to being a dictator, I have to work at that daily so people never forget. It's very tiring but oh, so satisfying.

No spell checker. Maybe the next incarnation of the board will have one. I hear they're working on a newer version but it won't be out for months (and I'll wait until the bugs are worked out).

MelNH

Post   » Sat Jul 12, 2003 9:25 pm

I agree with you Charbydis...

From the way it sounds I do sincerely hope that at the very least they were taken for food. I know that sounds callous, but its the best outcome I could possibly think of, given the fact that overburdened shelters are not above abuse. If the man was willing to break the laws regarding strays in the first place, and is willing to lie about where those other guinea pigs are...then I'm sure he would have been willing to "dispose" of the excess "unadoptables" illegally. Who can resist babies and prego mommies? They had the best chance of getting adopted the others were just taking up room they didn't have to begin with.

So other than food we have the possibility of those missing pigs being in a lab (I doubt that... too much work to set that up) or they were "disposed" of either humanely or inhumanely. Have you tried telling him that at this point you don't care what happened to them so long as you have some closure?

139 posts