"Free to a good home" is never a good idea

Vhailor

Post   » Tue May 03, 2016 10:45 am

Starting two months ago or so, I have been perusing Craig's List every day, originally to find a companion for my last pig. When I found an ad offering a free guinea pig, I would write and ask them to please consider asking for a small fee, to prevent the pig from ending up as a free meal for a snake.

But even having found a new companion for my pig, I still look at Craig's List, several times a day, looking for "free guinea pigs", with the specific purpose of explaining the dangers of "free".

Having found this thread a few days ago, I also include a link to it in my email.

I don't know if it always works but there have been occasions when I've emailed someone and then saw that a rehoming fee had been added to the Craig's List page.

So, although I don't know how often it works, and surely sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it does.

TheTinyHerd

Post   » Tue May 03, 2016 5:26 pm

So true! People generally tag me in things they see on Facebook because they know I'm a sucker for taking in piggies. I generally point the people to take the pigs to the local animal shelter instead of trying to get rid of it through Facebook, or to go on a site like this one and post that they have some pigs that need homes. I donate small animal supplies to my local shelter on a regular basis and got 2 of my girls from there, so I would much rather know the pigs have what they absolutely need, even if it's in a tiny cage in the shelter.

WICharlie

Post   » Wed May 04, 2016 10:30 am

Be prepared also that the person you e-mail will reply to your information by telling you to take a flying jump (haha, ask me how I know!!). It's still worth it to try for those people who didn't have a clue and occasionally, some will actually write to thank you.

Vhailor

Post   » Wed May 04, 2016 2:09 pm

I've gotten two letters of thanks, for which I was of course grateful. And although I am prepared and expect to get nasty replies, as of now I haven't gotten any but wouldn't care if I did; it's just not important.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu May 05, 2016 4:59 am

Even if you get no answer at all -- you never know. You may have saved a life. Just one life matters, and you may have made the difference.

JaneDoe

Post   » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:06 pm

I never thought I'd see this but some guy in South Florida is apparently a Santeria priest trolling CL for sacrificial animals. Not sure if it's true but it bothers me.

A good hint I saw on CL was to trust your instincts when placing a pig. Unless you know or know of the person be wary of the person who offers to pick up the pet--you may want to bring the pet over yourself so you can see where the pet is going. Also, vet's offices might be a good place to advertise--that way you and your vet might get a better idea whom the pets are going to. Just my two cents.

Somerzby

Post   » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:01 pm

Wise advice, it's great having all these people in this forum with so much experience...

OurMissEllie

Post   » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:05 pm

Learned something new reading this forum. Very good information.
When we adopted Ellie, (miss you sweetie girl), the Humane Society only charged $15 which I thought was low (gave them 20).

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:09 am

Make no mistake, they appreciated the extra donation.

MariusMum

Post   » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:20 pm

My mother considered getting another pig from Craigslist. Why? Shelters, even municipal ones, know more

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:21 pm

When I adopted Sam and Dean from the Humane Society, I found out that they don't really have anyone on staff that knows how to properly take care of small animals, especially guinea pigs. The 3 vets on staff are't cavy savvy either. There's one caregiver who knows a little about rabbits, but not so much about cavys. She did the best she could and I could see that she cared about Dean and Sammy; bless her heart.

The other two staffers who did the adoption asked me a lot of questions about diet, proper handling and guinea pig behavior and I answered their questions the best I could. The result was them asking if I wanted a job. Of course I declined, largely because guinea pigs are not the only small animals they have and I know very little about rabbits, chinchillas or most other small ones. I could volunteer, and I still might if they get anymore guinea pigs.

The reason I adopted Sam and Dean is because they were on their second shelter stay. The Nevada Humane Society only keeps them for 60 days and then transfers them out to another branch. Sammy and Dean had been in shelter status for 81 days. I know that they have a no kill policy for dogs and cats but I don't know if that applies to guinea pigs. I didn't want to leave it to chance, so I took them in. Turned out to be good for them and me. They have a loving home and I got 2 of the cutest little piggies.

If I had the means, I would open up a rescue of my own for guinea pigs only. I'd take every one of the "free to a good home" piggies as well as the ones that come to the Humane Society and make sure they get the best home and are properly taken care of while they are at my shelter.

WICharlie

Post   » Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:42 pm

It's a nice sentiment, but you would be overrun. The most pigs I had at one time was around 40 and I spent most of my day taking care of them. It was a lot of work. The other problem is that if people are dumping them, they probably didn't take very good care of them when they had them and they will come to you sick and need immediate vet care. You could do it if you had tons of money, lots of space and plenty of free time, Lol!

Realistically, however, You could offer to help that humane society anytime they have guinea pigs come in. Take in decent pellets and hay, along with a couple of Lynx's care booklets and offer to treat the pigs for mites or sex them for the staff. Also write down the address for the cage site so they can pass on that information to prospective adopters.