Sweet bonded pair and single (all males) in Michigan

SkittleandTwix
Supporter in '11

Post   » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:44 pm

I'm helping out Rabbit and Small Animal Rescue in Michigan again by posting these.

Oreo and Cinnamon are two males born November, 2013, who were adopted out together. They have been loved and very well cared for, but a child in the house developed an allergy to them. The owners asked RASA for help in finding them a new home. They have no health issues. I am not sure if they have been neutered, but I can find out.

Oreo and Cinnamon

Also, I am fostering a male named Benny. Benny came to the rescue after being abandoned in a pet store. He had an impaction that became infected. He has responded well to oral antibiotics and an antiseptic rinse of his anal sack. He is going to see the vet again tomorrow. I don't see any signs of infection any more, so I expect will get an "all clear" and be ready for adoption.

Benny seems to have been fairly well cared for. He isn't as skittish as most other guinea pigs and is a good lap pig. He is amazingly cooperative with his twice daily rinses. A family had fallen in love with him and planned to adopt him, but they seem to have backed off after we discovered his infection. He probably will have to be checked periodically for impaction.

We don't know anything about Benny's background, including his age, but his other foster mom and I think he is young as he still does zoomies and is a bit small.

He's a mostly black Abyssinian. I'll post pictures over the weekend.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:51 pm

What a cute pair of guinea pigs! I hope they find a good home! (and Benny too!)

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:47 am

Thank you for all you do for RASA.

SkittleandTwix
Supporter in '11

Post   » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:34 pm

Thanks Talishan, but I like the people at RASA and love caring for the piggies.

Here are three pictures of Benny:

The whites of his eyes show a lot, often giving him a scared look. He is pretty brave and wasn't frightened in any of these pictures. It is kind of cute though.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:34 pm

Aw, Benny is a sweetie.

FatherMackatzie

Post   » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:02 am

Oh my gosh I love Benny ! He would be a perfect cage mate for Jumpy !!!! How old is he?

I would love to adopt him, but I really need to talk to my husband before I can make that decision. And he will probably say no.

I hope he finds a home!!!

SkittleandTwix
Supporter in '11

Post   » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:33 pm

We don't know Benny's age because he was abandoned in a pet store. He was alone when he was abandoned, so we don't know if he ever had a cage mate or not. He seems to have been well taken care of, he's active and I see no sign of any health issues. He is a sweetie pie.

I've had him in isolation for several weeks, so we can try him with Jumpy if you want. He is a little small, however, and only weighs 1000 grams. I'm not sure if that is a problem if he's with a cuy.

SkittleandTwix
Supporter in '11

Post   » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:59 pm

Here is RASA's website if you want to contact them about adopting Benny. He's not listed in their website or up on Petfinders yet since we were waiting for his little infection to clear up, which it has.

You can also contact me if you want more information about him.

http://www.freewebs.com/rasarescue/

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:37 pm

From everything I have read (and I have NO personal experience with this), pairing a cuy is no different than pairing a "normal" pig. Personality matters the most. The cuy don't know they're significantly larger and get along (or don't) with standard pigs just like skinnies do. They recognize the same species and don't seem to care much about appearance, although they do seem to recognize, to a certain degree, a similar coat color pattern if you are replacing a deceased cagemate. That's about it.

If someone who works with cuy tells you different, listen to them and not to me!

SkittleandTwix
Supporter in '11

Post   » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:14 pm

RASA also has a 1.5 year old male named Twinkie. He's an aby with with white and light carmel colored fur and red eyes. He's stunning! I think he's on the RASA website.

I'll be driving from Michigan to Atlanta July 8 and might be able to bring one or a pair of the above piggies with me. Let me know if you are interested.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:22 am

I am in metro Atlanta. If anyone in this area is interested, and they need an overnight stay or "local distribution", let me know.

SkittleandTwix
Supporter in '11

Post   » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:48 pm

Good news. Oreo and Cinnamon found homes.

Also good - Benny found a great new home. I met his new family and they were very nice. They were getting him as a companion for their single male Aby. I showed them how to clean him and keep him from being impacted. They have written since and told me how much he is part of their family.

Good news, but I really miss him as he was here for several months and was quite a sweetie pie.

JaneDoe

Post   » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:21 pm

Yay!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:27 pm

Good news is always good. Thanks very much for the update.

14 posts • Page 1 of 1