Older boar wanted - Midlands, UK

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:44 am

Hi all,

If anyone sees any older boars in rescues could they give me a prod please?

I'm considering rehoming another piggy as a companion to Anselmo. It would need to be a boar as he's not neutered. Anselmo is quite forceful so it would need to a calmer older boy. Or at least a pig who doesn't manically try to hump him, like my other two. He doesn't take their messing around and fights break out quickly.

Anselmo is my bladder stone/sludge pig so I'm always wary that his time with us will be short as he's already 5.5 years old. Plus, I'm wanting to slowly work guinea pigs out of my life, so I don't want a younger pig. My current youngest is about 16-18 months.

The local rescues have mainly rabbits, but I do have my name on a waiting list at a rescue called Hunsbury Guinea Pig Rescue

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:47 pm

Good luck finding just the right guy!

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:23 am

There was a rescue, I think in Leeds, that had piggies. I'm pretty sure the one near Chester closed.

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:58 am

Thanks ladies! I'll have a look for that one Bethie.

I know I'm being really fussy but I don't think Anselmo would tolerate a youngster even if I was happy to rehome one. An older chap would definitely be better for him.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:25 pm

Be fussy. The older pigs are often the ones that really need you. Everybody wants babies; the adults, not so much. You'll find one that you can really help.

Jessie
Supporter in '13

Post   » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:44 pm

Make sure NEGPR know you are looking. Sometimes, not often, there's the odd girl passes through the rescue who's spayed or has had ovaries removed. They're usually snapped up before anyone knows about them so it's best to get your interest known. You can also foster if you don't want to adopt forever.

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:13 pm

Have you checked Tameside Rabbit & Guinea Pig Rescue, they are due to update their site in the next few days as most of the sows have gone but not sure status of the males.

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:27 am

Thanks ladies!

We've decided to not offer any piggies a new home for now. Jon Snow and Podrick Payne have decided to become mortal enemies and so we now have 3 single boars.

So, with that and wanting to phase piggies out of our daily lives we're going to stick with the 3 we have.

Obviously things may change and if one frets being along we'll start to look again, but at the moment Anselmo is happy enough, and not wanting to sound morbid but he is getting old now.

Hopefully we can rebond Jon and Pod somehow/somewhere along the line.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:31 am

3 cages is hard. Best to you and your group. I hope Jon and Podrick can be okay together somewhere down the road a bit. You have my complete understanding.

9 posts • Page 1 of 1