Urgent: Two sets of special-needs pigs in Indiana

sef1268

Post   » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:28 pm

Rescued Guinea Pigs in Sellersburg, IN is currently at capacity with almost 60 pigs either at the rescue or due to arrive soon (including a couple of females on pregnancy watch), and has been contacted by an owner who wants to relinquish her two senior boars -- at least one of whom is a Peruvian. They are approximately 7 years old and need a forever home for whatever amount of time they have left. The rescue's sanctuary is also at capacity, and they have reached out to me to see if I know of anyone who would be willing to adopt the pair. I will have more details and a photo this week, but wanted to post this in the hopes that somebody here might be interested.

The other special-needs situation is this male at the rescue who has a prolapsed penis. The rescue's veterinarian has examined "Jaxon" (a clever spelling of Jackson), and deemed him to be in good health but he will need to have his genital area cleaned frequently and will need to be kept on fleece.

Here are photos of Jaxon:

Crystal at RGP reports that Jaxon is a very sweet boy who doesn't mind being held. What a sweet face he has!

If anyone at GL is interested in adopting either the pair of seniors or Jaxon, OR if you are interested in sponsoring them or donating to the rescue to help cover the care and feeding of the large number of pigs currently in their care, please contact me through the GL mailer ASAP or contact the rescue directly at rescuedguineapigs@gmail.com. I can help with transport costs, and can possibly help with a piggy train as far south as Louisville and can reach Evansville or Bloomington as well.

Thanks in advance on behalf of RGP!

JaneDoe

Post   » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:14 pm

Have you posted on Facebook? If you do. I will share.

linshad02
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:24 pm

I would take them in a heartbeat if I had room.
I can offer to run a leg of the train if they end up going South. I'm in Charlotte and can go at least 3 hours in whatever direction I'm needed. And I can offer an overnight stay.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:18 am

Permanently prolapsed penii (sp??) are surprisingly easy to care for.

We had one senior like this for well over a year or more. Gently clean once a day with Vaseline, and that's about it. You won't be able to keep it pristine, but as long as there is no infection, necrosis or underlying condition causing the prolapse, doing the best you can to keep it as crud-buildup-free as possible does the job. It did for Moki, anyway. A good thorough cleaning every now and then by the vet is a good idea, but without any secondary issues this is not a big deal to manage.

I will say we use CareFresh in that cage, and it seemed to help keep him gently 'scrubbed'. I don't think fleece is an absolute necessity. That said, you absolutely canNOT use anything 'stickery' -- no kiln-dried pine, no aspen.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:10 am

Jaxon is an awfully handsome guy!

sef1268

Post   » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:50 am

I'll get him on FaceBook today. The problem is that adoptions have come to an absolute standstill at the rescue at the moment, and more pigs are due in for several other people who want to dump their pigs on her. If she can find a home for Jaxon (who isn't really 'special needs' in the sense that there's something majorly wrong with him, but it'll still require some work on the owner's part) and the two seniors, which will be all but impossible to place, it'll help. She has several fosters who would normally take these guys, but they're at capacity right now, too. And there is no other rescue in the area that can take the over-flow, so she's a little overwhelmed right now.

I'm going to talk to my husband about the two seniors. I know we can't take them permanently, but maybe we can take them temporarily until something can be figured out. :\

ClemmyOddieIndy

Post   » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:39 pm

Don't know if they'd make it out this far (to Iowa), but if I can help with a piggy train let me know.

sef1268

Post   » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:10 pm

Here's the senior pair which, big surprise, are NOT males. Both girls are around 6 1/2-7 years old and appear to be in good health:

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:51 pm

How cute! Love that weird white stripe on left-hand pig! Of course they aren't boys. :-)

ClemmyOddieIndy

Post   » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:00 pm

Wish I was closer. I've been looking for a girl (or girls if the right pair found me).

sef1268

Post   » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:27 pm

Wish you were, too, COI. Would you be interested if there were a way to work out transport? I don't know where in Iowa you're located...a rough Google search puts you 7 hours away, but I'm wondering if any of our Illinois members could help out...?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:15 pm

They are so cute! Surprised they are 6+ years old though.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Post   » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:26 pm

What are their personalities? I have a pig with neurological problems, and so I'm trying to find companions that are calm/mellow. She's okay (well as okay as any pig is) with chasing and humping, but I think a pig with a nervous or anxious personality will upset her. That's been my biggest challenge so far in the pigs I've met at the shelters, finding one that's not overly nervous or anxious.

I'm located in Central Iowa. I don't know where you are exactly but Indianapolis is about 7.5 hours away. I'm not sure if that's a fair trip for girls that age.

sef1268

Post   » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:32 pm

I can ask Crystal about their personalities, if you like. It might be a little early to tell, though, as she just got them in today. She did say that they appear to be in surprisingly good health and relatively clean/well cared for, considering that their owner had used newspaper for bedding. It looks like they kept the Peruvian's hair cut short.

Crystal has a volunteer who can transport as far north as Indy, which is approx. 4 hours from the rescue. I don't know if another 7 hours on the road would be stretch for the girls (or you).

I will check in again tomorrow and see how the girls are settling in.

Sshadowsmom

Post   » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:25 am

I hope someone can take the pigs. I really support that rescue, it is where my sweet Barley came from.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Post   » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:41 pm

If you find out their personalities let me know, and whether they would consider an out of state adoption/what the process would be in a situation such as this.

I'll be going to Wisconsin in November to a conference, so if they are still available/able to travel that far, we might be able to work something out and I can come back down through Illinois.

I really do have a soft spot for older/special needs pigs. Last year dealing with Miss.Daisy (the neglected pig I adopted who was dying of cancer), was the hardest (she was only with me for 3 months before passing) but most rewarding experience I've had with pigs. I love my girls, and have a special bond with them, but there is something unique about the bond you form with a guinea pig who has gone through so much of it's life not experiencing what your pigs take for granted.

JaneDoe

Post   » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:23 am

Will try to share it when I get off in the morning.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:39 am

Coffee/gas donation available if it will help!

sef1268

Post   » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:41 pm

Crystal wrote back this morning and said, "Well the two of them get along great. They are very easy going and will let me pick them up. I could get them as far as Indy."

I could possibly go as far west as Owensboro, if that helps any.

sef1268

Post   » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:43 am

UPDATE: It sounds like the pair of senior females will be getting a home this weekend, which is great news!

If anyone is interested in adopting Jaxon, please contact the rescue or me. RGP has 6 or 7 females on pregnancy watch as I type this, so the number of pigs in their care may be increasing even further soon.

26 posts