new guinea pig

Sandradawn42

Post   » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:19 pm

I have in the past kept a number of guinea pigs so I am fairly experienced but I got one yesterday from a woman that advertised the guinea for re homing. on arriving at her house she took me to a shed absolutely full of those horrid cages stacked on top of each other and I realised she was a breeder. anyway the piggy looked well and was running around (or trying to in a small cage!)so I took her she is 2 and her breeding years are over hence why the woman wanted rid. but since getting the piggy she is very odd almost traumatised she stays wherever she is put in the cage and I haven't seen her eat or drink I have tried to syringe feed but she doesn't appear to be swallowing any advice?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:55 pm

Put a hidey in her cage so she has something to protect her from the eagles in your house. :-) An upside down cardboard box (no lid) with holes in the ends will do.

Put the box right by her water bottle, and put her food, hay, and pellets either right by the door, or inside the box.

Be patient. Go over and talk to her often. Leave bits of lettuce, tomato, bell pepper, whatever in front of her. She should warm up when she gets used to her situation with you.

Sandradawn42

Post   » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:49 pm

yes she has a house etc and is very taken with my other guinea but I worry as I know they can't go long without food

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:54 pm

Maybe she'd do better without being with the other pig until she gets adjusted to things. I'd have quarantined her anyway, given the awful conditions she came from.

GrannyJu1
Armcavy

Post   » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:26 pm

Places like that don't usually take the time to socialize the animals. Your little girl is probably not used to humans at all, let alone the "odd" silence and move-around-room. She's probably not very used to good quality food either.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:35 pm

If you are leaving food for her and it's vanishing, don't be too worrried (unless of course the other pig is eating it). Pigs in new, unfamiliar surroundings often won't eat or drink where you can see.

If food left for her isn't disappearing or her water bottle(s) aren't going down at all, then yes, that's cause for concern.

Guineas that have been stuck in shoebox-sized cages will sometimes just 'freeze' when put into adequate space. As a prey animal it can seem frightening and threatening to them.

All that to say, ditto the advice you have received. I'd keep her separate for right now from your other pig just to monitor her eating, drinking and behavior while she's acclimating to her new home, but keep her in the same room if possible. Being able to see, hear and smell another pig will be very comforting to her.

Your other pig is female, right? I assume you know this, but just because the breeder was dumping her does NOT mean she is incapable of more litters.

Please keep us posted on how she's doing. You most likely saved her life by taking her. Thank you for that.

6 posts • Page 1 of 1