Mailbox Guinea Pig Emporia Kansas

JX4

Post   » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:15 pm

In our local newspaper this morning there was an article about a female guinea pig left in someone's mailbox. Seriously. A woman picked a random mailbox and left the poor piggy in it because she could no longer care for it. The person who found it took it to an animal shelter in Emporia, Kansas, where it went through a vet check and is now up for adoption. They did track down the woman who abandoned the pig but have not arrested or charged her. (!)

Ugh. If I didn't already have 7 guinea pigs and am at my limit I'd go get her. She looks like a decent little piggy from the picture.

Why would anyone put a guinea pig in a MAILBOX? I guess she thought it would be safe from predators there and would be found fairly quickly. But still, it was left with no food or water and there would have been no ventilation. There is a picture in the paper of the piggy sitting in the mailbox, which is one of those used in rural areas, the classic round top that sits on a post and is the shape and size of many of the small animal carriers you find in pet stores.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:23 pm

How scary it could be! And dangerous too! I think of the heat we are having these days. Tomorrow it will be in the low 90's.

I believe we have a couple members who live in Emporia (or used to). They are not active these days and I think they may no longer have guinea pigs (unsure).

JX4

Post   » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:05 pm

If they want to ask about the guinea pig, the shelter has named her Rosita. I hope she finds a good home.

Eawinaz

Post   » Thu May 04, 2017 1:47 am

That's ashame, I'm glad she is safe and at least now able to find a great loving home!

Msinc

Post   » Sat May 19, 2018 11:56 pm

Hi!!! I know that this is probably way late but is that poor little piggie still available for adoption? I'm looking for a partner for a younger male of mine whos current partner is nine years old and fading fast it seems. He is neutered and i was going to take him to a petstore in my area and let him choose but if there is anyway that I can help this poor girl let me know. I currently live i Wichita and would be able to drive up to get her. If needed and can send you pictures of my boys so that you know that she's going to a good home.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun May 20, 2018 10:47 am

Your best bet is to use the mailer to email the original poster.

JX4

Post   » Sun May 20, 2018 7:26 pm

I haven't heard any news lately, but I think she was adopted. I think there was even another one they found later that was left by the same person (who was caught and charged, if I remember correctly). If you live in Wichita, then you should search The Wichita Eagle archives online for the articles, since that is where I learned about the piggies in the mailboxes. (I live in Wichita, too.)

Check with the Humane Society. They sometimes have guinea pigs, though I'm not sure they really know what to do with them. Are you east or west Wichita?

TCR

Post   » Mon May 21, 2018 5:07 pm

I'm in Wichita as well. I just euthanized onw of my girls Friday, due to a battle with cancer. I now have an solo girl and would like to find her a home with a companion.

Cant say much more as it really hurts right now.

JX4

Post   » Mon May 21, 2018 8:48 pm

I'm so sorry. I have a herd of five piggies (4 female, 1 neutered male). We had one of our girls die recently, and she happened to be our favorite one, so we still miss her so much.

We never planned on having more than 3 piggies, but when we got 3 females, one was actually a male. Hence the fact he is now neutered, lol. I'd consider letting you have one of ours females, but they've been together since birth and they are 3 years old now and I'm not sure how they'd do if they got split up from their herd-mates. Our herd is extremely close-knit.

Who's your vet?

TCR

Post   » Tue May 22, 2018 10:17 pm

I use Dr Rizzo at All Creatures. I euthanized elsewhere as they do paw prints. My other vet ia quite skilled but not in cavies.

I am not looking to add to my herd. I have had a lot of loss inthe last 19 months - two parents, two cousins, two dogs, and three guinea pigs. My mental health is not good right now.

Eirwen is an all white aby with ruby eyes. She is ok with being held, but prefers nose and neck rubs C&C side. I have lots of hay left and about 5 lbs of KMS hayloft Timothy pellets.

I have had guinea pigs for 24 years and did rescue for 8 or so years before my dad required me to become a caregiver. I have only been piglets for 2 weeks in that time. I tried to go without. I didn't last.

This time though, I think it is time to quit. I have not been as good as a pigkeeper as I should have in the past few months.

JX4

Post   » Wed May 23, 2018 11:56 am

I have an all white pig with red eyes too, though she's not an aby and she's also trying to be a Himi with *slightly* grayish ears. Her name is Sugar. We use Dr. Rizzo and Dr. Ohmke (sp?) at All Creatures too. Love them! I switched our dogs and cat to them after I discovered them. Where do you go for the paw prints?

I would offer to take yours but if I tried to add to my herd I think my husband would have a cow. Plus, I don't want to risk upsetting the wonderful close-knit-ness of the entire herd together by adding an interloper at this late stage.

I wish you and Eirwen well. It's hard to be a caregiver for a parent.