2 Males in VT need new home

Tsaria

Post   » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:23 pm

I have 2 male guinea pigs in my care which need new homes. They fight if they are put together, so they will need to go to separate herds.
They are both 1.5yrs old and have no known medical ailments. Located in Burlington, VT.

Don't hate me, but I got these two yesterday from someone on CL who I feel misrepresented them to me. I was not told that they didn't get along until we were putting them in the car (thought they were separated for travel so they wouldn't be cramped.) up to that point I was just told they are both sweet.
I am not prepared/willing to do 2 cages long term and I don't think it's fair to make them each live alone.

In case it is important for health assessment, they have been fed a commercial diet with pellets & what looks like nuts/dried fruit. Previous owner did not appear to give fresh veggies.

Both are short hair, and tolerate handling. I made them fleece pads (their first experience with them) and one of them has fallen in love with his <3

I don't know how to put pictures on here but can send them if requested.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:53 pm

Were they together before you got them? If so, the move and the new cage may have been enough to temporarily upset the apple cart. And if you just brought them home and put them together, that may be the reason for the squabbling.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:54 pm

And big cages make a huge difference!

Tsaria

Post   » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:03 pm

They are in the same cages as at the previous owners house and they were kept separate. She didn't tell me that until we were loading them in the car. And then she said they fight if put together. I should have just told her I changed my mind and got everything back out of the car. But for some reason I didn't.

I did try having them both out at the same time today. As soon as they saw each other they got agitated and went after each other.

Lynx, do you mean if I got one big cage they might be okay together? Can I use how they act during floor time together as a gauge for how they might act in a large cage?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:13 pm

The way you introduce them also has a lot to do with how/whether they get along. See http://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html.

And what do you mean by "went after?" Are they chasing and nipping? Mounting? Biting?

Tsaria

Post   » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:08 am

Thank you for the link, bpatters! This process does not sound like something I am comfortable doing, but I will edit my OP to reflect that they can go to the same herd.

By "went after" I meant they began mounting and biting each other. In retrospect it was probably no big deal since I could separate them easily with my hands (eek!) I am used to dogs so saw fighting and immediately broke it up.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:29 am

Generally, we only recommend separating if there's actual bloodshed. But if you're not planning on putting them together while you've got them, I wouldn't introduce them again.

But, let me encourage you to find a knowledgeable guinea pig person to take them who could probably introduce them. That way, they'd have a buddy to live with. Guinea pigs are herd animals, and they do better with a friend.

Tsaria

Post   » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:52 am

Yes, they are definitely only going to someone who will intro them to each other and/or another herd.

For now I've got their cages right next to each other. They are very neighborly and touch noses through the bars, with no attempts to fight or intimidate each other (that I know of lol I'm not exactly an expert)

Tsaria

Post   » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:00 pm

These two have been adopted by someone with years of guinea pig experience. Intros were done, they are living together now, and she has sent me pictures to show how they are doing.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:07 pm

That is good news!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:30 am

Wonderful news. Thank you for the update.