special needs female in central NY looking for a home

Brimstone
For Rocky

Post   » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:25 pm

I'm fostering a 2 year old female guinea pig for my local SPCA. Ginger was surrendered by her former owner. Unfortunately, she had an ear infection and head tilt when she arrived at the SPCA. The head tilt was so bad she couldn't blink and her eye became ulcerated. We've been fostering her for about 6 weeks to treat the ear infection and eye problem. The good news is her ear infection seems to be gone (she's still a bit tilty, though), and the ulceration and infection in her eye is cleared up. But she still can't blink her right eye, most likely due to nerve damage from the infections. That may clear up in time, or it may not. Ginger gets lubricating ointment put in her eye every 4-6 hours. Without the ointment the shelter vet fears her eye could become ulcerated again and might have to be removed.

Ginger needs a patient and gentle human who is willing to put ointment in her eye several times a day, possibly for the rest of Ginger's life. Her new family should have access to a guinea pig savvy vet and be ready (logistically, medically and financially) for the possibility of eye removal.

As a result of being picked up and medicated 4-6 times a day for the past 6 weeks, Ginger is pretty good about being picked up and held. She's still a young, squirmy piggy, but she has learned to sit in our laps. You can see a pic of her here.

Ginger is currently located in central NY state, in the Finger Lakes area, although transportation to the right new home could be arranged.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:10 pm

She is a cutie. I hope she finds a home with someone who can help her!