2 Male Guinea Pigs needing new home from Frederick, MD

tabnlog

Post   » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:36 am

We are in desperate need to rehome our 2 male guinea pigs as soon as possible. My husband has become increasingly allergic to them and it's gotten to the point of not being able to breathe. We have tried keeping them in a different part of the house to create separation, but it's no longer working.

Mickey is 4 years old. He is very friendly and talkative. He loves to be held and walk around.
Booker is 2 years old. He is friendly, but doesn't like to be held as much as Mickey. He's an independent kind of guy. He would rather run around.

They live together in the same house. They don't fight, but sometimes Mickey will block Booker from getting to the water, so we installed a second bottle because he can't be on both sides of the house at the same time.

We really need to find a new home quickly and my husband has mentioned taking them to the shelter. We are trying to avoid the shelter because we don't want them to be euthanized. My daughter has exhausted efforts to find a friend, because they are all leaving for college or prepping to leave next year.

Please Help!!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:40 am

Have you tried something other than timothy hay? Guinea pigs are pretty non-allergenic, and it's rare to find someone who's actually allergic to the pigs. Timothy hay, on the other hand, is a pretty powerful allergen, and lots of people react to it.

If you interested in testing that theory, you can take the timothy out, vacuum everything, bathe the pigs, and try orchard or bluegrass. You can find it locally at pet stores, although that's by far the most expensive to buy it. If it works and you decide to keep the pigs, you can order it online for a much cheaper price per pound.

tabnlog

Post   » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:15 pm

We've not had Timothy Hay for a few months. He's allergic to the actual guinea pigs. The allergies initially showed up when he was handling them, then we kept then separated and the symptoms lessened for a while, but they are getting worse. We are sure it's them.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:48 pm

Good luck in finding a home for them, then. I just wanted to mention the hay problem in hopes that the solution would be that easy.

tabnlog

Post   » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:14 am

Still searching for a home. They will most likely have to go to the shelter in the next week or two.