Baby snowflake and calico -the whole story-

Yoshimi

Post   » Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:10 pm

well, i've only had them for about a month, and theu're my frist guinea piggies.

January 9- My mom and I went to petco to get a GP, but theirs were taken away from their mom too early, so they were on antibiotics. So we went to our favorite petstore, where I get my mice. Belmont Pet only had one guinea pig, a 5 month old albino female, living with a tiny black bunny. We decided to get her, because she was so cute, healthy, and she squeaked when i held her. so we brought her home. ^_^

January 14- We've loooked online, and found out that one guinea pig needs one more, so we go and get our second guinea piggy, Calico. She's 5 weeks old, and seems to get along great with Baby.

Then, about a week after that, we noticed that Baby was starting to get a little "pear-shaped" and her sides started to bounce when she stayed still. to my mom's relief, the reason Baby hadn't been running around like the guniea pig's she remembered from her chlldhood, was because she was pregnant.

We looked online, found all of the information we'd been looking for, and we're all waiting for Baby to have babies.

i'll update again when something new happens ^_^

Yoshimi

Post   » Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:24 pm

Oh dear... Ten minute rule? I gotta go read the FAQs... I should have before I wrote this one, too... The capitalization is all wrong! Geez... I wonder if I posted anywhere else with this bad grammer!
>.<;

SusieQ
Scrapbook Addict

Post   » Sun Feb 01, 2004 3:18 pm

Yoshi- tell your favourite pet store that housing guinea pigs with rabbits is bad news. They have different dietary requirements, and a rabbit could easily hurt a guinea pig with its powerful legs. Not to mention that they can't be a very good pet store if they sold you a pregnant guinea pig. That's a major no-no.

Also, we don't recommend purchasing animals from pet stores at all. Guinea pigs would not be placed on antibiotics if taken from their mothers too soon, only if they were sick. Guinea pigs are weaned at 3 weeks of age. Many pet store pigs are sick or pregnant, or have lice and mites. Not to mention you can save the life of a homeless guinea pig by adopting from a rescue or shelter.

Have you read the general care page www.guinealynx.info/healthycavy.html as well as www.cavycages.com? If you bought your cage at the pet store, it's too small for one pig, let alone two. I strongly recommend you build a cage like the ones on Cavy Cages. They are easy to make an inexpensive.

Have you thought about what you are going to do with the pups? I hope the pregnancy goes well.

Yoshimi

Post   » Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:17 am

I will not buy another guinea piggy from them, but they do have the healthiest mice in the area. I did get Baby Snowflake from the petstore, but I tried to get my second one from the MSPCA. They wanted to me to bring my piggy out into the cold (-12 degrees) to compare it to the other pigs. We knew what genders our piggy was, and what genders the shelter's pigs were, and there were two girls there at the time. I know they didn't want to have anymore unwanted piggy litters, The risk is too high. I didn't think anything was wrong with keeping a bunny with a guinea piggy. The MSPCA had all of their pigs with bunnies....

Yoshimi

Post   » Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:27 am

Feb. 6, 2004, 3:27 PM
Baby Snowflake had babies!
She had 4 tiny little pigs. Two are a pretty brown color, but one of them has a white dot on it's nose. Another piggy is white and brown, And the runt of the litter, is black and white. The full brown piggy is named Cinnamon, The spotted one is named Froggy(Because he hops and runs so fast!), and the little black and white one is named Ringo. ^_^ My friend Sammy was over, with her i-zone camera when Baby started having babies. ^_^ We helped clean the babies, and we tried to take away as much of the afterbirth as we could, to settle Baby's stomach. They're doing great now, and that's 2 litters of babies my family got this week! (The other litter was the first mouse-litters we've had for a while, because the males died of a disease that spread through the males cage. A female got loose for a month, She came back, And then had a litter of 8 on the 3rd)

5 posts • Page 1 of 1