The one that got away

petit-filous

Post   » Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:57 am

Hearty greetings from Bahrain

I became a member last year and found this site to be absolutely the best. Now I think the time has come to share the love and joy that my piggies have brought me over the years...

HOW IT ALL BEGAN

1994, Hong Kong

One fine day in my junior year of high school I saw Pumpkin at this petstore close to my school and immediately knew that she was The One. Feisty from the start, I spotted Pumpkin hogging the food bowl from her much older neighbour. A tortie pig, Pumpkin must have been about 2 mths old. I brought her home in a box and surprised my parents who were annoyed but bemused. They allowed me to keep Pumpkin--and that was the start of something truly beautiful.

PUMPKIN BURROWS HERSELF INTO OUR HEARTS

Pumpkin diligently ate her veg, hay and pellets and grew into a beautiful healthy pig. I'd hurry home after volleyball, choir and swimming practice just to be with her and I did my homework beside her cage everyday. She became very relaxed around me and let me pet her anytime (but not anywhere--she did not hesitate to bite if you got too close to her womanly bits). During exam time Pumpkin would keep me company throughout the night and purr away when I took breaks to pet her. Aaah, I still remember it so clearly, massaging her fuzzy wuzzy booty as she lay in her bed a la Cleopatra.

By the time Pumpkin was 1 my parents had finally realised that she was quite a personality. My dad started feeding her every morning with a few grapes and lots of grape twigs (great for the teeth!) and he would shower her with kisses and babytalk. My mom on the other hand would speak to Pumpkin all the time and grew very attached to the furball. As a result, Pumpkin started recognising different words (in Chinese) like cookie, vegetable and fruit. Once Pumpkin even started eeking when someone on TV said "pumpkin". She was one smart pig. Pumpkin was the kind of piggy that would initiate a game of hide & seek during playtime on our living room carpet and start nibbling on my book if she didn't think I was paying her enough attention. Diva pig indeed.

When Pumpkin was around 2 I had to leave for college in London and that was a very difficult thing to do. Thankfully my parents were full-time piggy slaves by then and they offered to take care of Pumpkin while I was away. My parents even put Pumpkin on the phone with me during our long-distance phone calls. Anyway I came back to Hong Kong every 3 months and spent most of my time with her. During one of my breaks in Hong Kong a friend of mine even invited Pumpkin (and me) to her birthday party and Pumpkin LOVED all the attention. What a star : )

PUMPKIN THE PSYCHIATRIST

At university I had picked up a boyfriend (now my husband) that my parents didn't quite approve of. So unfortunately during my last year at college there were a lot of fights during my breaks in Hong Kong. Pumpkin was there for me, nibbling away and looking at me with her understanding little eyes. I stayed sane because of her (and my husband, hehe).

PUMPKIN PASSES AWAY

About 4 months before I was due to graduate and move back to Hong Kong for good, my mother started sounding quite worried because Pumpkin was getting constipated constantly. Our vet said it was due to Pumpkin's old age (she was nearing 5 at the time) and that nothing much could be done. However, my parents didn't give up and they would actually syringe-feed Pumpkin with prune juice and massage her until she pooed. This worked a dream for a while but then all of a sudden she started coughing a lot and gradually losing her appetite. Our vet diagnosed cancer.

Then, a week before I returned, at around 1pm in the afternoon, my mom came home from her daily grocery trip to find Pumpkin running towards her from her cage (it was always open so she could venture around freely). Pumpkin's legs gave way and she collapsed on the ground. My mom held Pumpkin in her arms where she died peacefully. My mom was crying when she called and I went berzerk, crying pretty much non-stop for a week. My mom still insists that Pumpkin hung on so that she could see me for the last time. I still think of her all the time even though that was 5 years ago.

Boy this has been cathartic. I'm in tears again!

I'll tell you all about my fab five when I recover.

Kane (petit-filous)

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:23 pm

She sounds like she was a marvelous pig. Some pigs we recall fondly for our whole lives. Thanks for telling us about her.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:48 pm

Pumpkin sounds wonderful. I look forward to reading about the Fabulous Five.

petit-filous

Post   » Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:02 am

Thanks Lynx and snowflakey. Pumpkin was an incredible girl and she had 3 adoring parents in me and my folks. The funny thing is, she also won over my brother who's the typical macho can't-be-a-softie-in-the-public type of guy. He was living on his own but would drop by regularly at our place. Once, at around 3am in the morning, I woke up to get a drink of water and found my brother in the living room petting Pumpkin and cooing over her. I gave a little cough and my brother saw me and turned a little red.

Anyways I'll be starting a new subject in this forum to share my five furries, if that's alright. I'm taking photos of them this weekend so they get a proper debut, hehe.

JodiMN

Post   » Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:22 am

What a sweet and touching story. Thank you for sharing!

petit-filous

Post   » Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:15 am

Thank you JodiMN. A sweet story for a sweet little creature...

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:54 pm

Eagerly awaiting the story about your fab five. :)

2piggies4me

Post   » Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:27 am

OK, you just made me cry. No, really, I'm sure everyone here can relate to your story in some way. She sounds like a wonderful little piggie!

goofy

Post   » Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:27 am

I'm new, just signed up, and the very first story I picked to read and it made me cry...

there should be ratings/warning labels on this stuff...

*sniffles*

liluqt

Post   » Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:42 am

Welcome to GL, GoofY!!

10 posts • Page 1 of 1