My childhood piggie

2piggies4me

Post   » Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:27 am

I've only been the "mom" of three little pigs. My first piggie came to me when I was about 12. I lived in England, at the time. My Dad brought home my little Chellie and he lived for 7 years.

[This may be a good time to add that the internet didn't exist then and all I knew was that I had a pet and I loved him a lot. I didn't know he would've been happier with a friend. I can honestly say I loved that piggie and I gave him the best life that I knew how to at the time. Now I'm experiencing this whole guilt-thing from what I've learnd recently!]

Chellie was great! He would follow us around at our heels. He was completely potty trained. He was an immigrant to the USA! He moved with the family and settled in quite nicely. We lived in a Hilton hotel for approx. three months until we found a house. Chellie had no real home-base. He'd roam around the hotel room like a rock star. There happened to be a faulty fire-alarm system in the hotel while we were staying there. It would go off all the time. One time I was out, and came back to find the place evacuated. All I could think about was my baby! It turned out to be a false alarm, but I was really distressed.

When that piggie passed on, we lost a part of our family. We've always been allergic to dogs and cats, so Chellie was our big pet. I've never forgotten the place he made for himself in our family. My only reget, at this point, is that I know he could've been happier with a friend. Damn technology for making this a realization! I guess back then we just didn't ask questions!

So now I'm the proud mom of two special piggies. I can't tell you the joy they bring me. I can't tell you because anyone who posts/reads here already knows. My babies mean the world to me. I give them everything I can in the name of my Chellie...

stickyfroggi

Post   » Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:22 am

That's a sweet story. I am sure you will find that a lot of people have owned pigs in the past and done things that do not coincide with the advice found here. Even the most experienced pig owners around here were at one time less experienced. There is always that 'If I knew then, what I know now..."

If people are open to it they will learn how to give each new pig a better life than the next. However that doesn't make the the previous pig's life any less wonderful because if you know you gave him a great life then you did just that. Besides, you must have been doing something right to get him potty trained and to live 7 years.

Do you have any pics of Chellie?

totoro33
Supporter in '06

Post   » Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:39 am

Yes, don't feel bad. I had three separate pigs as a child, and there was no internet then either. We loved all three very much. I got my first pig when I was five, and he was also our only pet. He first lived in a ten-gallon aquarium! *wince* At the time no one really knew much about them. When we took him to the vet for an abcess, the vet told us guinea pigs don't have back teeth! It ended up costing him his life--I am sure that if I had had this board he wouldn't have died.

He was extremely well-loved, even if we didn't know all that we know now. He helped me make life better for the pigs I have now! Chellie sounds like a wonderful pig.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:07 am

It is rare I move something to Cavy Chronicles but I think your story should be there. He sounds like a great pig.

domill

Post   » Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:18 pm

My first pig, I guess I was about 10, lived in an aquarium with a combination cat litter and cedar bedding. Funny thing though, he lived a long time. He only ate pellets with occasional iceberg lettuce. Thats how we were told to take care of them.

Orvis
Power to the Pigs

Post   » Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:27 pm

Your comment is interesting to me. I think there is a wide range of how people care for their cavies, and I think that different methods can be OK! For example, I only have one cavy and despite what many people will say, I am know he is one happy little guy. As I read on here how different their personalities are, I think the important thing is to know your own pig(s) and do what makes them happiest. What I like about this site is the willingness of people to share ideas, I have gotten a lot of tips.

2piggies4me

Post   » Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:20 am

stickyfroggi: I have one tiny cut-out pic of him, but it's not scanned. I know my parents have pics of me holding him.

Orvis: It's so odd how things work out. I got Snickers from a little girl I used to be a nanny for. She was allergic to him. My heart melted b/c he reminded me of my little Chellie. I fully intended to have one little pig, but I felt bad leaving him when I'd go to work. I'm just so sappy that I couldn't bare the thought of him being alone. Then I started to research GP's on the internet and learned SO much. I quickly realized I needed a bigger home for him, and with that realization came the another...why not pop another pig in that big house? It was traumatic for ME with the whole introduction thing, but now both piggies are settling down. I'm really glad I got another b/c I feel I saved another piggie from an uncertain future. I think it's a contagious thing, this love for these critters. I now want to foster piggies once I move into my own apartment in August. Thank goodness for this site, b/c without it I'd be lost in the dark, despite my time with Chellie!

7 posts • Page 1 of 1