Moose and Roly

mooser

Post   » Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:13 pm

I got Moose when I was in 8th grade, after Fonzie died. I had gotten Fonzie only 3 days earlier. Sadly, I had chosed Fonzie over Moose when I first saw them both. I grew to love Moose though. We named her after the ice cream Moose Tracks. She was a beautiful little girl. Then my sister's guinea pig, Millie, died and we got Moose a new companion. "She" turned out to be a he, and we ended up with 3 stillborn babies. We separated them, but she was already pregnant again. She had 3 babies again, this time all alive. Tulsi (named after a wood necklace made of Tulsi beads) looked the most like Moose, with the brown and black coloring. However, she had Ziggy's crest with white in it. Yamoona (named after a sacred river in India) is a red and brown mix with no crest, and ruby eyes. Bob (her dad's name is Ziggy, I know it's flipped.) has her mom's black, but her dad's cream plus white. She also has a crest. We then got a companion for Ziggy, which we named Pepper. About 2 weeks after that, we found GL. I built the girls a 2x6 at the end of this summer, and the boys a 2x4. Moose loved it, although she had been sick on and off for awhile. She ate alright, but she maintained a very low weight, at first around 23 oz., then 20oz. We made many visits to the vet, tried xrays, blood tests, molar grinds, sub q's, ABs, everything. Nothing helped. On Halloween 04 I came home from trick or treating to find her passed away in her cage. She was by the water bottle, on her side. I don't know what happened, but I weighed her and she was at a scary 16.5 ozs. I miss her more than you could imagine, I spent so much time with her she was my favorite. I can't believe how big a hole her passing has left in my heart. I will never forget her, and I just pray she passed away without pain. I take comfort in that she won't suffer anymore, and that I did everything I could for her. I don't regret spending any of my money on her, if it made her feel better for one minute it was worth it. I feel bad not being able to say goodbye, but I hope she knows I love her. Bye, Moose.

We got Roly about a month ago from the Petco adoption center. He was with Poly in a cage too small for a hamster. I didn't really want a new pig, but I saw him with a head tilt, and Poly with a swollen back toe, and knew I had to help them. I ended up getting them both. We took them to the vet, and we figured he had neurological problems. He tossed his head around and seemed not to know where he was. We discovered a small scratch on his eye, and had him on an ointment for that. I don't know anything about his past, not even his age. Yesterday, Nov. 4th, we found Roly passed on in his cage. We are getting an autopsy done to make sure it's nothing that could hurt the other pigs. I feel bad he died so quickly, but I know that he had good food, hay, and veggies daily. I hope he had a great month here, and that he didn't suffer when he passed on. He left Poly, who seems to wonder why his buddy isn't there anymore. They looked very similar and I think they were brothers. They were very bonded. Poly will soon be out of quarantine and will hopefully move in with my other 2 boars. Love you, Roly.

mooser

Post   » Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:46 pm

Chosen*

pigbert

Post   » Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:29 pm

I'm sure Moose knows you love her.
Great story.

You are a special person for adopting Roly and Poly and getting them the care that they needed. I'm sure that Roly is so happy that he had such a wonderful month in your care.