Bounce, Bounce, WEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKK

gotcavies
Supporter in '15

Post   » Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:06 am

Ahh, the joyful noises of guinea pigs. These three lancaster girls are very happy to be alive. They have been caroling their way through the week. They are bouncy, they are chatty, they are using their little tunnels. The two black ones play tag back and forth.

The smallest black piggie is very friendly. She loves being petted and doesn't run when you try to pick her up. She just stands, chirping and talking. She is a the "town crier" and starts the alert that the food lady is coming with greens. As soon as she makes her food alert, all three are lined up at warp speed. It's very funny because all of a sudden there are three of them, RIGHT THERE when there was only one. I haven't decided on a name for her yet. I am calling her Chatty Kathy when we refer to her for now..

The tan girl named Sandie is the most timid. Her bite mark is healing well, I am keeping it cleaned with nolvasan. She isn't really pleased with me pestering her, but I make sure to give her a treat afterwards. She really loves to hide in the cardboard princess abode I purchased for them. She usually peeks out at me.

The medium sized black pig is named Louise, she is in between the other two in socialness. She is always out of the house when she hears me coming. She likes the ball and I caught her playing with the little link toys that are hooked on the side of the cage.

These ladies sure can EAT! They consume hay by the pound I think, I replenish their hay stack as often as it's getting low...I stacked them up with 2 1/2 cups of assorted leafy greens. Gone in 5 minutes. I gave them another 2 cups with some bell pepper and brocolli added in the evening. Plus, they are on unlimited pellets but are not eating as much pellets as hay and greens. I might have to buy a second fridge to hold just their salads. (Not complaining, I like to see healthy appetites for greens and hay!)

Am I the only one who has a fridge FULL of salad fixings but only eat salad about once every 3 weeks?

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:20 am

Ha! Nice to hear about the piggies. Are they all obviously pregnant or is it iffy on any?

And the fridge, thing... No. Between all the buns and piggies, I have tons of greens for them and very little for me (well, there's bok choy but they get some sometimes and cabbage for me).

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:36 am

The pigs seem to like the green part of bok choy. Mom chops off the green part for them and cooks the crunchy part for us. =-)

gotcavies
Supporter in '15

Post   » Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:07 am

I would be willing to bet they are all pregnant now. Possibly Sandie isn't, but the Louise and Moppet are getting a nice pear shape to them. It's not just from eating well.

I haven't been able to weigh them again! My scale took a nose dive off the counter and crashed. I had to order a new one, it's coming this week. (Great price on what looks like a wonderful scale. $20, and it weighs in grams, ounces and up to 11 pounds.

I talked to the seller who is local and he is willing to sell 5-10 at a time so that anyone adopting can purchase one from me at "my cost" of around $15 each. That way I know the adopters have a great scale. This might be a good idea for all the rescuers out here, to be able to send a scale home when an adoption is done, or to offer people who didn't adopt but would like one. I might be able to talk him down to a little more, which means that any rescuer who wanted to could charge a little more than cost and make a profit. He was telling me that he supplies these to Gold's Gym, and they sell them for about double.

What is bok choy? Isn't that some kinda chinese cabbage like stuff?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:39 am

The "town crier" -- I like that. My personal descriptive term is the "designated wheeker".

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:47 pm

Bok Choy is an Asian veggie. It isn't cabbage. It's leafy. My buns and piggies like the green part. There's like regular Bok Choy and baby Bok Choy.

gotcavies
Supporter in '15

Post   » Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:04 pm

Moppet is huge...I think she doubled in size since yesterday. She is sure chatty. She even talks with her mouth full. Sounds like a puppy whining quietly while she chews. She's the "town crier".

Louise is now right up at the front with Moppet, not quite as fast but one step behind. Sandie, she hangs back for hand feeding but she finally will rush up to get her share.

Hmm, Bok Choy..I think my mom used to buy that to cook in something. Probably something I didn't eat since I don't remember what it was. *GRIN* I just don't like many green kinds of veggies. My family is big on "greens" cooked up like stewed in something they say is called pot liquer. Nasty stuff. I like my salad, green beans and kiwis, sometimes green apples. I like uncooked spinach. Anything else, GAG.

Charybdis

Post   » Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:25 pm

My pigs like Bok Choy but it's expensive. They get escarole, endive, romaine, kale, flowering kale, mustard greens, dandelion greens, and cilantro.

gotcavies
Supporter in '15

Post   » Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:28 am

Finally! A scale! I weighed everyone this morning.

Moppet, who loves her ears rubbed, is 916 kg. Louise who is intentifiable by her fuzzier face and is more shy but likes to be petted once she calms down, is 1000 kg, Sandie, the tan who is very nervous is 901 kg. Moppet and Louise are absolutely pregnant and are growing by the minute I think!

I swear, Louise is going to explode, I don't think she can get any bigger. Louise is funny, she purrs at you when you talk to her, she makes this sorta whirring sound that isn't wheeking or squealing, it's a chatter like noise.

This scale is great. It's not an "expensive" scale and is very light weight in feel. For $25 with shipping, it was worth it. I am going to be purchasing a few extras at cost of around $15 if I pick them up. These can be sent home with each adopter so that they don't have to hunt down or pay more for a scale. Because they weigh in kg, oz and up to 11 pounds, and comes with a perfectly piggie shaped oval bowl, it's great! Even my pudgie girls fit like a dream!

Charybdis

Post   » Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:31 pm

That's a good idea. We use The Good Cook kitchen scale which you can purchase at Wal-Mart. I think it is $29.

katk925
Do the Dewlap in '05

Post   » Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:45 am

Wow, the girls are even bigger than the boys. They are up to 900, 800 and 800 roughly. Eddy, the one who had the bad mites, is still battling with the deformation of the mouth that the scurvey caused, and I think that is how he made that odd horsey whistle noise. He LOVES his vitamin C smoothies. But they are all shy, and run away alot when I try to pick one up. Their coats still look shabby, but they are getting healthier, and they are certianly happier.

If anyone remembers the article that was linked on the forum about the "Super" Guinea pigs, for being eaten, I am wondering if these guys might be some of them. The article talked about pigs growing to over 2.5 lbs, which doesn't sound like much compared to our pet pigs, but these pigs were getting their in just a few months. Well, these brothers are still so young that I can't clip their nails and you can see they have ALOT more weight to put on yet. Seems really young compared to the other <1 year pigs I've had...

~kat

gotcavies
Supporter in '15

Post   » Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:04 am

Don't forget Kat, my girls are "carrying extra baggage", so they'd be bigger, LOL..

Poor Louise. She is lying on her belly, and her back legs poke out sideways she's soooo big! I can't get a picture because she jumps up and runs over begging for something when I walk over. Moppet is friendly, Louise is getting better. Sandy is scared to death but she's learning that the person standing there has food and she loves her food.

12 posts • Page 1 of 1