CAT´s Cavies

CAT

Post   » Tue Jan 29, 2002 9:50 pm

As I thought up the name Cavy Chronicles, I thought I´d better post my story.

I have three boys Sneakers, Sox and Boots.
(April 2000:Shoebox our first pig passed away and we got Slipper).
(October 2000: We lost Slipper too after only a few months to a URI and we got ´Boots and Sox´)

Our Story:
After coming home from holidays last year, we found a white GP wandering around our garden. We caught it and had it for about 2 weeks before we found its owners. I missed it so much that my when my Husband saw a ´give-away´ in our street he brought it home for me in a shoebox. Hence, we got Shoebox when he was about 5 months old. I then got him a friend, Sneakers, who was about 6 weeks old.

Shoebox was a tan and white male who took a lot of love and care to get him used to people. He was is VERY fat, so we often called him Butterball or Fatso.

Sneakers is another story. He is a silver agouti who is very sociable and not afraid of us at all. He is also very funny, he loves to get into paper bags or cardboard boxes and then walk around with them on his back. It looks hilarious to see a small box walking along the floor!

They are such happy little things, ´popcorning´ constantly (we used to call it ´boinging´ before we learned the correct terminology). They added so much joy to our lives, the only trouble is the jealousy of our cat (Oscar). I have to make sure I give him as much attention.

After Shoebox passed over the Rainbow bridge from Kidney failure we got a new addition called "Slipper". He was a Lilac male, with a dark brown face, and is three and a half months old. He was very skittish and nervous, but lots of cuddles seem to be settle him down. After only a few months, Slipper developed a URI and passed over the rainbow bridge too.

After the loss of Slipper it took a while to decide to get another, and wouldn´t you know we got TWO more. Sneakers now has two new baby brothers:

´Boots´ is an American crested - black with a white crest, but a streak of brown in the crest and one brown paw. ´Sox´ is a crested black Himalayan.

Boots has now become the alpha male and he and Sneakers went through a period of fighting but have now settled down. Sox is in love with Sneakers and the pair sleep together, play together and are constant companions. Boots is more of a loner but is the noisiest, nosiest, cheekiest little pig you ever met! He and Sox play together a lot (Sox has to share himself between Boots and Sneakers) and has the most amazing personality.

We love them all dearly, my husband says there is nothing nicer than coming home after a hard day at work or when you are feeling a bit down, and you see three little things that are so happy about life that they leap in the air with all four feet off the floor - you just can´t say ´down´ once you´ve seen that!!

CAT and the boys.

Here is a pic of Sneakers in his favourite position!
Last edited by CAT on Tue Jan 29, 2002 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seansfamily

Post   » Tue Jan 29, 2002 10:20 pm

LOL, maybe Sneakers should have been named "Loafers"!

Great write-up. I especially enjoyed reading about how your husband shares your love for these little guys.

Thanks for sharing your story!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Jan 29, 2002 10:33 pm

They sound like some pretty neat pigs. Now aren´t you glad you came up with a name for the forum that I liked?

Sunny

Post   » Tue Apr 16, 2002 5:40 pm

I just got around to reading this CAT. Great story! Thanks for sharing. How said to lose two pigs to URIs. I didn´t realize they were so dangerous. Spot gets URIs periodically... pretty scary.

I´m hoping to post my story someday. So thank you for Cavy Chronicals!

CAT

Post   » Tue Aug 20, 2002 3:37 am

I thought I had better update my story - I had to do it here as a separate post as I have passed my time limit for editing the original post.

Sadly, Sneakers is no longer with us. He began to lose a little weight so I took him straight to our vet. He thought his teeth were overgrown so decided to put him under anaesthetic to grind them down. Sadly, it wasn´t a tooth problem but a heart problem. His little heart gave out while under anaesthetic. The only positive thing is that he died while asleep and didn´t suffer.

My husband and I, and two other pigs, miss him a lot, but Boots and Sox are still thriving and have become much closer now that Sneakers is gone.

Boots is still the most demanding boy, squealing for a carrot if my husband dares to go into the kitchen. Sox has a new ´trick´ of head butting the pellet bowl (which is attached to their run) until it flips over and sprays pellets across the floor. Then he squeals and popcorns because he can´t reach the pellets that are on the outside of the cage!

Ah the joys!

CAT

SandraVE

Post   » Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:24 am

CAT,

I´m so sorry you lost your little Sneakers. When I saw that picture of him laying on his side, I immediately printed it as Sneakers looked just like my little Mocha (1997-2000). Mocha too loved to lay just like that. I think silver agouti´s are very very special. Sorry for your loss.

Sunny

Post   » Tue Sep 03, 2002 12:46 pm

Oh CAT, I´m very sorry for your loss.

CAT

Post   » Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:28 pm

I can't believe I haven't logged on for over three years, but am so glad to see this forum stilling going strong. We recently lost Boots, after six wonderful years, he went peacefully in his sleep. Sox is now on his own but doing well, except for a bit of impaction - what a job cleaning his pouch out every day or two, but we love him. His six years and 2 months, but is is good condition and seems to like living on him own.

CAT

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:31 pm

What a wonderful story. I'm sorry that you recently lost Boots, but it sounds like he had a very happy home with you and your family.

9 posts • Page 1 of 1