Our first baby.... Mo (aka Mohawk West)

mosmom

Post   » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:26 pm

I have always been an cat and dog kinda girl...
Guinea Pigs, well I never saw what the fuss was.
My best friend LOVES guinea pigs, and I always thought why.
And then I have another friend that called then Free loading rodents (her quote not mine).

I live in a small apartment community no dogs allowed, cat cost you $50 extra dollars a month, and hamsters and gerbils kinda freak me out a bit because they are so small and remind me of mice.

Well I have two little girls (3 and 5), who absolutley wanted a pet, so finally I decided it was time.

Dogs...no, Cats...no, Hamsters/gerbils... no no no, Bird....no (bad childhood moment), Daddy wanted a snake (and us three girls screamed ) NOOOOOOOOOOO!

So what did it come down to... Guinea pig!

I went online got the info in gp care, and my husband and I decided to go out and buy one as a suprise for our daughters while they were away at their grandparents house (Friday the 13th, 1/13/06).

I expected to just go in buy one, and that be it, it would just be a animal that sat in its cage for my girls to ooo and ahhh over. Boy was I wrong!

When we went to the store we looked into the cage and saw the little guy, Mo is an aby...(sorry I do no know how to spell the breed), who is mostley white with tan patches... his hair sticks up into a mohawk all down his back... hence the name Mo.... aka Mohawk West. He was just tooo cute, I found myself already falling for the little guy.

We got him home and as my husband set up the cage, I held him on my chest, since the lady at the store said that he needed lots of affection, since he was taken from his mama, the day before. Oh ya, Mo is only about 3-4 weeks. Holding him made me only fall for him more... HE IS JUST TOOO CUTE. He is just a little cuddler.

So I found myself constinley wanting to hold him. I got up the next day, an extra hour ealier for work so I could give him some extra attention. And then found myself at work, counted down the hours until I could get back home to the new baby. He had stolen my heart.

Of coarse our first heartbreak came the next day when suddenly his left eye began to crust a bit, soon followed by sneezing. I was frantic, especially since one of the girls that I worked with had told me that she once had a gp named Mo too, and that it had died of a "cold". I began searching on-line and of coarse found this wonderful site, I posted my concern and was immediatley given the resouces I needed. Sure enough Mo had a URI. He was treated at the vet with my list of Dangerous Medications in tow and now it is just praying and constint watching over him. Thank you to all of you who cared so much.

So now I am an absolute GP lover, Mo has stolen my heart, and I owe everything to this AWESOME site. Don't worry Lynx... I WILL BE A SUPPORTER IN '06, just the vet bill has depleted my spendable cash at this time.

I love these forums and I plan to write my families jouney of being new parents of our favorite little boy.

Once again Thanks you.

whittibo

Post   » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:59 pm

What a great story!

I had much the same experience (void of the URI). Our first pig was supposed to be my middle daughters. Then of course, I became attached. Now I have 3 that I share with my daughters. ;)

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:04 pm

A great story indeed! I got into this because of my daughter too. The pigs kind of became my pigs though. Glad we could provide the information you needed. Are you thinking of adopting a companion? It would be a great thing to do.

mosmom

Post   » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:12 pm

We are looking into it in the future, Mo has about a 6 sq. foot cage right now and the only place we can put it is on our kitchen table because our floors get so cold. And if we get another, we need a bigger cage. Plus we need to get over the URI first and we need to feel a little bit more comfortable in our GP skills first.

But yes I would love another and I am sure Mo would too.

Just next time I am adopting... No more Pet Stores!!!

mosmom

Post   » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:42 am

THE STORE BATTLE

From my first post you can definatley assume that we bought Mo at a store ( I know, I know). When first contacting the store that Mo was sick (about 24 hours after getting him), I was giving the 10 day return policy lecture.... which I relpied to NO... I AM ALREADY ATTACHED. You guessed it I was livid!!!!

Also upon further review of this site, I realized that the food and multivitamin that was sggested to me was not good for Mo... so what was a cavy mom to do!?!?!... I sent an nasty email to corporate.

So to my suprise I recieved a phone call early the next morning from the store manager at the store where I purchased Mo. She asked me how he was doing, asked what he was sick with, asked what medical treatment he needed. I went over the details and she informed me that she was going to inform the breeders (as I said before Mo had been taken from his mom 24 hours before we bought him, so the store did not have him for long.), and she also was putting the guinea pigs on watch, not selling them until they were in the clear. (WHICH I CHECKED THEY DID).

She also asked me what was wrong with the food, and I let her know that gp's are not suppose to eat food that had seeds and corn in it, and that from what I had seen, they only sold one form of gp food that was pellet only. She also asked me about the multivitamin, and I informed her about the side affects of multivitamin (they only sold the kind that you mix with water also). So she said that she would make a call to her supplier and find out what other food that they could buy to sell in store and would contact me when she found more suitable food. And she would inform her employee to direct (if not put in the pet department) to where the vitamin C is sold in the store. Let me say I was extremely suprised that they were going to these legnths, but also very pleased. She told me to call her directley with anyother problems and concerns. She was so nice that I didn't want to pry any further about vet bills or giving me money back for the supplies that I couldn't use, so I left it at that... so you would think that that was over right... not even close...

A few hours later my phone rings again and to my suprise, it was the corporate offices, who once again apoligized and informed me that they would send me a gift card to cover the cost of supplies that I couldn't use and that the breeders would be in contact with me, to go over the information and procedures to cover my vet bill.
Sure enough the breeders called a half an hour later and gave me the instructions on what to fax to them to get the paper work processed so I could get the vet bill reimbursed. How awesome is that... unfortunatley I am having a hard time finding my original receipt. =(

So that was my battle with the store... and I won!!!!!

Thank you to all of you that informed me that I could force them to pay for my vet bill.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:14 am

Ask your vet for a copy -- or do you mean your original store receipt? Check your credit card records and see if the store will help.

Which petstore was it?

mosmom

Post   » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:21 am

Well my husband recieved $500 in gift cards to this store for his 5 year anniversary, we go shopping for everything there so we figured we would get Mo there. So the transaction was on a gift card. The store is called Meijers, it is a superstore in only a few states. And I need both vet record and reciept, I have the vet record I just can't find the reciept. =(

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:17 pm

I wouldn't take store credit. I'd want my money back.

I heard Meijer's was awful. They sell animals in poor conditions. If I am thinking of the right chain.

mosmom

Post   » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:07 pm

I found the receipt!!!!

And I don't mind the gift card.. I buy everything else there... I just don't trust there pet department now.

mosmom

Post   » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:49 pm

Popcorning Fool

A couple of days ago I bought a few extras for Mo's cage. We bought him a Hide-A-Way, which he loves to chew at and helps make him feel safe when my three year old decides that she wants to bug him. We bought a hay rack, because he had a tendacy of using his hay as a litter box, we bought a knit cap to use as a make shift cozie until we order one for him, and a bird mirror, because he loves to look at his handsome self. He had a toilet paper roll and a ball to.

Sure enough that night we heard such a ruckus, and there was Mo having his first spurts of popcorning. He of coarse tends to do it, when he thinks no one is watching.

Now he has became a popcorning fool, why a fool?.. you may ask.
Because he popcorns so much that he always bangs into the sides of his cage, I swear one of these days he is going to knock himself out.

He seems to be feeling better, however he is still sneezing and his nose is runny. I called the emergency vet and they said as long as it is clear and not yellow or green, then he should be fine.

Just keeping my fingers crossed!

We are considering making a second level to his cage, anyone have any suggestions on what type of material we can use to make the floor and ramp.

mosmom

Post   » Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:31 pm

Funny Little Boy

Well Mo has grown, I know by eyesight only, I haven't bought a scale yet (yes I know.... bad mommy). He is voicing himself a little better. He likes to try to talk on the phone (he climbs on the cell phone and makes noises at whoever is at the other end.) He is still my cuddle boy, I recentley started putting clean baby blankets in my shirt for a while and then folding them up and placing them in his cage. He loves to cuddle up on it. If it is not in his cage he tends to sit where it was and make noises out to us.

He loves his floor time now, he is so funny. He does nothing but popcorn and run in circles when we put him down. He loves to really voice himself when he is on the floor.

His new foods of choice are parsley and bell pepper, and loves a orange from time to time.

A few days ago he was on the couch while I was cleaning his cage. My three year old wanted to pet him so I told her that she had tro sit very still on the couch and if he came up to her she could pet him. She has never held him before so I was watching her at first. After about 10 seconds of them both being on the couch suddenly Mo ran across the couch and flew into her lap. It was the funniest thing I have ever seen. She squeal so hard because she was so suprised that he immediantley jump off her and ran to the other side. Sure enough though after about another 10 seconds he did it again.

I was suprised he was willing to go to her like that, since she is the one I always have to yell at to not rattle his cage, or to stop chasing him around his cage. But mo must like it, because when we have floor time, he runs to her.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:44 pm

That's so funny! I remember when my children were young I would use the "gentle" and "one finger" rules with animals (and things in stores, for that matter). Little kids can enjoy animals if under close supervision. I hope your little pig continues to run to her.

mosmom

Post   » Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:02 pm

finally a picture....

lorry

Post   » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:18 pm

Just Dear! I have a little girl named Clarabelle that looks just like him. (All of my pigs are named from Thomas the Tank Engine--Gordon, Clarabelle, Emily, Daisy, Caroline, Mavis and the new addition--Thomas, of course!) When we take a new pet, the whole family has to agree. The only way my sons (4 and 6) would let me was that they got to name them! Pretty soon I'm gonna run out of girl train names!)
Anyway (I babble a lot!), Mo is a cutie!

mosmom

Post   » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:30 pm

Thank you.

mosmom

Post   » Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:07 pm

With a heavy heart, I bring this thread to an end. Mo has passed at only three months old. Why?... I couldn't tell you. It is hard for me to relive it again so here is the post of his passing.

Sleep well my sweet, sweet boy. You will be missed.

mosmom

Post   » Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:44 pm

Just a few additions:

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:50 pm

Mo was a darling and will be missed.

Poor Baby Cuzko
My piggy made me give!

Post   » Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:52 pm

I'm still so sad he passed. I love the pic with him in the cozy, he looks so relaxed.

tcarey
The Zen of Pigs

Post   » Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:56 pm

Thanks for sharing the pics of Mo. What a little cutie he was.

21 posts