The Life & Times of Miss Piggy and Co.

paws4thought

Post   » Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:04 am

I was living around the corner from a feed store and a pet shop....so being obsessed with animals and always needing supplies I frequently visited both. I used to take my son who was 3 at the time to see the poor animals in the petstore, and it was also an excuse for me to see what was there. I knew better but it was like smoking for me....knew I shouldn't but couldn't help myself.

One fine day there were baby guinea pigs, and I started plotting my campaign to talk the Hub into letting me get one. After strenous negotiations and my promising that it would be the Last Pet (something I mean when I say it, that never quite works out) I headed off to the petstore to collect my new baby. I was so excited and of course after scoring such a narrow victory with my Hub I wasn't going to wait around and read up on pig care, so I went in totally ignorantly but thinking I knew what I was doing.

I got my furry little cutie, some totally inappropriate food, pine shavings(stop cringing guys), vitamin drops, and went home.

Once home and after my three teenagers had rolled their eyes at the "Crazy Animal Lady" and my little guy had proclaimed me "Best Momma In The World", I set up the 30 gallon fishtank to be home to our newest family member.

Just to emphasize how sad things were, I had been working in shelters for years and was employed at the time by a vet, and still had no idea that this was the wrong set up completely. The vets I worked for didn't treat small animals, and in my work with shelters when my older kids were little, it was perfectly normal to house pigs in tiny wire cages or old fishtanks.

Poor Miss Piggy, as she was dubbed by my youngest child, Max, was under my care for better or worse.

Looking back it's a wonder she did as well as she did and she is still Queen Pig today...although thanks to the internet she now lives in a 6 ft. long and 3 ft wide c and c cage, but that all came later.

Right from the start Miss Piggy was adorable and quite entertaining. Max was completely in love with her and I was really surprised by what a good pet she was. My uncle kept GP's in his basement in rows of cages when I was little and I just remember that they were stinky and my mother said I couldn't have one. When I saw them in stores they were really cute but always just sitting around.

Max and I held our piggy and played with her on the living room rug and her little personality came out. Max spent hours building block mazes and pens for her to play and hide in. She would hide under his hair and nibble him while he laid still on the floor and then suddenly take off like Mario Andretti to do laps around us. I had never seen a pig popcorn so that was a little alarming the first time!

We always gave Miss Piggy veggies and fruit and took her outside in a special wood and wire pen that my Hub made so that she could have sunshine and graze. She seemed healthy and happy and we loved her. After about a month I really wanted a little friend for her so the plotting began again.

Next..the story of how Miss Piggy became a big sister to Peanut Butter and Jelly...

paws4thought

Post   » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:11 am

One day while stopping for some fresh hay from the feed store, I saw that the store sow was expecting. She was kept in a tiny cage with a shelter but no real room.

A couple days later I came in and the sow had had babies and died. I offered to foster the 3 babies knowing nothing about pigs at the time.

I bought some formula and started the feeding regimen...every 2 hours I'd feed them and then wash the formula off of their little chins.

After 4 days one died. I cried and buried it and felt so lost because no one I knew had any info on piggy babies. The other two thrived though and became Peanut Butter and Jelly. I had them for 2 years and then after showing no sign of illness they died leaving Miss Piggy alone again.

One year went by and I came onto this forum, built a c & c cage and adopted Buttons from a private owner. A couple of days later I was in the mall and a guy was buying Poptart for snakefood sp now I have her to.

I love my girls and do all I can for them. I'm looking foward to lots of happy years together.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:34 am

What a nice story. Nice to hear how people have come here and learned how to care for Guinea pigs. Nice to know you now have a nice C&C cage and good food. We would love to see pictures of your little darlings.

Don't get upset if it takes people awhile to post a reply here, being the weekend it can be slow. WELCOME all the same.

paws4thought

Post   » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:50 am

I have a few pics to post but no idea how to do it....any suggestions?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:15 am

Check the FAQ at the top of each page or the sticky in the Feedback forum for tips.

Luv4piggies

Post   » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:42 am

Hi Paws. I will be looking forward to reading more of your story. It is really good that you are telling how you were very inexperienced at first, like many of us and hope to see how you learned. I am still learning a lot so I found how you started this off very interesting. Cute names for your guinea pigs by the way, and I am sorry you lost one of the babies.

6 posts • Page 1 of 1