My Cavy Slavedom- A History

cavykatie

Post   » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:00 am

Sudden Sorrow

The afternoon of February 4, 2005, I left for work at a quarter to two. All the piggies were munching happily as I walked out.

At about 10:45pm I arrived back home. I went into my room and looked at the cages. I noticed Chloe seemed to be lying down, she was partially hidden by a towel hanging down from the half-level. I reached over to wake her up, but she didn't respond. I recolied my hand in horror. She was dead.

I started crying hysterically and screaming "no" over and over again. I felt like I couldn't breathe. I was in shock. She was barely a year old and had shown no signs of illness. For at least ten minutes I cried. I called my mother and could barely get the words out. I was hyperventilating so much that I became physically sick. I felt like I was being crushed.

I got myself together enough to realize I had to put her in the refrigerator if I wanted a necropsy done. It was awful lifting her lifeless body out of the cage. She felt so small and flat, as if she had been deflated. I guess in a way she had. Georgia stood by her and looked confused. She kept sniffing, wondering why there was no response.

The next day was Superbowl Sunday. I am a huge football fan, and my home team was in the game. It was a mark of how much my grief had consumed me when I didn't even really care when they won. I watched the game feeling numb. Thankfully my boss was kind enough to let me have the day off.

My birthday was 10 days later, on the 15th, so my 'birthday present' was Chloe's necropsy. It was decided she had suffered from congenital kidney disease and her kidneys couldn't hold on any longer. I felt immense guilt for almost the next year. How could I not have noticed? Now, I understand that there really wasn't anything I could have done. Chloe was fated to have a short life, I'm so grateful that I was lucky enough to have her at all.

She was my beautiful California girl.

This last photo had the honor of being the February photo in the GL calendar. It was sadly fitting, not only because it was the month Chloe passed but the caption read "Mercedes and Chloe part ways".

Rest In Peace My Darling.

3 Little Pigs

Post   » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:09 am

That is so sad, Chloe sounds like she was a very sweet pig. I actually lost my hamster, Sugar on Feb. 5 of last year-an odd coincidence!

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:09 pm

Oh dear, cavykatie, I am so sorry you had go through that.
It is always painful to lose a beloved pet, and it always take forever for us to get over the loss and remorse.

Chloe was a special piggy, and you were her lovely mommy. She had a loved and joyful life with you, and I am sure she went with a little smile…

Felling guilty ad inadequate is never the less a part of the process we got through, but cavykatie, you are an excellent piggy mommy, and you provided everything that Chloe would have asked and dreamed... Dump the guilt; be proud of yourself, and may the fact that Chloe had a happy life because of you bring you some comfort.

Tons of hugs for you today, momo
Ps. Check your email.

cavykatie

Post   » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:00 am

I meant to post a thank you on here for the e-mail. It was very sweet!

I think I scared everyone else off with my sad installment.

A Birthday Suprise

I felt bad seeing Georgia all alone in her cage. My birthday was coming up on Feb. 15th, and so my Dad suprised me with a special birthday present. I named her Manteiga, which is Portuguese for butter.

I was feeling rather emotional at the time, so even though he had gotten her from a petstore, I decided I couldn't send her back to that place. After a couple weeks of quarentine I introduced her to Georgia. things went very well. There was minimal rumbling. Mostly a lot of chasing and butt sniffing on Georgia's part.

They became good buddies.

And they have been happy ever since.

xlemonxheadx07x

Post   » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:06 am

They are adorable. The last picture of them is my favorite.

LER

Post   » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:14 am

Awww, there is sweet Georgia and her little friend!

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:47 am

That is such a sweet and heartwarming story...
And most important of all, look how happy and contented the piggies are to have each other. : )
*sigh*
So while you hug your "getting along piggies", I got to run and break up a fight in my piggy apartment....
Momo

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:43 pm

LEMON BUTTER!!!

cavykatie

Post   » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:00 pm

Hehe. I should explain Brandi's exclamation above.

You see, Manteiga is a Lemon Agouti guinea pig. And of course, her name means 'butter'. So... LEMON BUTTER! It's so simple, really.

This is just for you Brandipants:

Baby Lemon Butter

Floating Head Lemon Butter

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:17 pm

LEMON BUTTER LEMON BUTTER!!

She's my honey bun!!

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2017

Post   » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:32 pm

She's even cuter in the fuzzy flesh!

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:33 pm

This is a great story, Happiness, sadness, then more joy and on and on. Hurry with the update, this is too good to miss.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:45 pm

You know CavyKatie,...
McMac just told me something in confidence during our cuddle on the couch a while ago.

McMac finds Lemon Butter and Georgia just too cute to resist, and he is sure there will be films producers, product endorsements sponsors and wheeking albums maker waiting to sign contracts with them.

So, why don't you give McMac a chance to be their exclusive agent for now??? Here is his pimped up business card!

Oh yes, and worry not, McMac is a "gentleman" when it comes to pretty ladies!
Ps. We are in serious need of actors in for our next movie. Any takers?
: ) momo

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:53 pm

Oh my girls have discussed it Image

and would love to be in his movie even a small cameo is good for them.

Here is Momma Queen for the day "Somer" in WS cape.

Racing to see who can be first in line for McMacs curtain call:

cavykatie

Post   » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:13 pm

Georgia and Manteiga would love to be in McMac's movie! They have a no-nudity clause in their contracts, and they require body doubles for all strenuous stunts.

Oh, and they want top billing! ;)

35 posts