He finally said yes!!!

jeffandtina

Post   » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:39 am

My husband and I have been married for 10 years. I'm more of a 'pet person' than he is. When we first bought our house. I begged for a dog. After a few weeks, he finally gave in and off to the humane society we went, picking out a black lab/sheltie mix. He's not much for the small 'yappy' types. A few years later, my grandparents buy my son a hamster, which means monthly visits to the petstores to pick out new toys as well as stock up on the bedding and the food. Which is fine with him until I start looking at the other pets there. At first it was other hamsters, then it was on to the bigger animals. I fell in love with guinea pigs because of the different noises they make. Of course, when I asked 'piggy', the answer was always 'no', but I was able to add another hamster to the family because the only noise they make is from a squeaky wheel or rattling the bars on the cage when they want out.

Three years later, when both hamsters had passed (yes, one of the hamsters lived to the ripe old age of 3 years, 1 month). Jeff thought he was safe, but one day my grandparents bought us a little Pekingese, the yappy dog that he never wanted that actually has the Peke attitude problem. More visits to the pet store, and the answer to 'piggy?' was still no. Having empty cages, I bought two more hamsters, 1 not making it very long, and the other still living (will be two years old in either Jan or Feb of next year).

Months go by, as with most marriages, Jeff and I began to become distant from one another. Unlike most marriages that are in trouble, ours was really the fault of neither. In October of this year, I was diagnosed with a health condition. After doing some research, a lot of things were a lot clearer to both of us, and after lots of talking, and me taking meds, the two of us are closer than ever. Part of my journey to becoming health again, and reducing the risk of complications with this condition, is exercise. So on the cold weekends, we go to the mall to do lots of walking, which also means lots of browsing and shopping. About 3 weeks ago, I needed something from the petstore. Once again, I walk by the guinea pigs and ask 'piggy?'. He finally said yes! WooHoo!!!

Before you think 'oh no, she didn't', I'll let you know that I didn't. Never owning a guinea pig before in my life, and not knowing anyone who did, I knew I needed to do my research. So as soon as I got home, I started research on the internet, and keeping an eye on petfinder. I wanted to find a bonded pair that was older from someone who knew what they were doing and would be there when questions arise. I know from experience with hamsters, that not all petstores and vets are equally educated. I thought that we hit pay dirt when I spotted a pair of females being fostered about an hour a way. After an email, I found that they were adopted. Having no luck with petfinder, I decided to do a search for a local rescue and found one about 40 miles away.

Yes, she had a bonded pair of brothers that are a year old. First I thought, they're younger than what I really wanted and they are males. She assured me that they would be fine with a first time owner. They are fully grown, and males aren't that much harder to take care of if you clean the gland weekly. She sent pictures and we set up a meeting.

This is Harvey. He's the one that I held during the meeting. He is very snuggable, and not at all hard to catch. I managed to get him out of his cage in less than a minute.

This is Fox. My husband is determined to rename him Spike and fluff up his white patch to make him look like Spike from the movie Gremlins. He is the one that Jeff held during our visit.

I told the foster mom, that we would definitely take the pair, offered to pay the adoption fee, and that we would be back for them the following Saturday (which is this Saturday). We needed a little time to prepare for them, since we had finally picked up the last things we needed for the cage.

Right now, we are almost ready for them. The cage is built. I just need to pick up the bedding, another water bottle, food, fleece to make some cozies, and maybe some more toys.

Here is a picture of the cage so far.

Jeff and I are both looking forward to our new arrivals in a few days. I'm sure with our inexperience, these two will learn to take advantage, and become a pair of spoiled 'piggies'.

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:42 am

Very cool! Males really arent a problem to take care of at all! Most do not even need weekly cleanings.

YIPPEEE!! Welcome to insanity.

jeffandtina

Post   » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:06 am

Thank you! Saturday can not get here fast enough. Jeff says that I'm obsessed with guinea pigs right now. We've been spending our evenings for the past two weeks looking up info, pictures, and videos. I told him it was just because I'm excited and it will change once they get here.

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:08 am

*snort*

Yea, you keep telling him that! :}

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:15 am

Ha! You will be more excited after they get there! That's okay, Jeff is cool and we bet he'll be snuggling them along with you. Congratulations on the new additions to your family. They sure are cute.

sweetpea

Post   » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:29 am

Congrats on the new piggies.
Saturday is almost here.
Take lots and lots of pictures; they are cute boys.

piggiemomma5372

Post   » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:31 am

Congrats! Welcome to GL and cavy slavedom. It took husband a little while before and after our first two to convince me that Guinea pigs were one the greatest animals to have. Now we have 11.

Your excitement will only grow when you start seeing what they do and having to come here and let everyone know what they did or didn't do, questions and such. You will be a true cavy slave!

By the way you must post pictures as soon as you can phyiscally can! It is a requirement here at guinealynx!

Autaven

Post   » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:36 am

Welcome! I look forward to lots of picture!
My boyfriend wasn't a fan of them at first either, but now wants one to call his own ;) it's a lovable diseasee !

jeffandtina

Post   » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:41 am

One thing I really like about rescues is that you get a little bit of background information, it may not be much, but at least it's more than you get from the petstores.

The story behind these two is a typical one. Family goes to petstore, buys two, thinking they have two of the same sex. As time goes by, they notice one is getting bigger than the other, until one day, out pops the pups. Not thinking, the family takes the pups back to the store who gladly accepts them, keeping their original two. Weeks later, out pops even more pups. Petstore isn't willing to take in the 2nd litter. Luckily, instead of just dumping them, they find their way to a rescue, who helps them sex the pigs.

The family did keep the mother and a female pup. The father and the three boys were kept by the rescue. The father is caged alone as well as the brother (who was just to energetic for these two that I'm adopting).

There are a couple of problems with Jeff though. He insists that when it's cage cleaning time, that they are mine. And I'm afraid that he'll give Fox (soon to be renamed Spike) a lot more attention than Harvey.

Also, I did leave out one family member, our 15 year old son, Kellen. I'm hoping that Fox and Harvey learn the sound of our fridge opening so they can drive the kid nuts. *evil laugh*

marlana

Post   » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:57 am

Don't worry about the fridge thing. I think mine can hear my neighbors open theirs, and they're a 1/2 mile away.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:05 pm

Congratulations on the new piggies!

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:00 pm

Congrats on your piggies!
You are so right about the rescues too.

During our trip to CavySpirit to adopt our Beibei, Leah was there so patiently teaching me all about clipping nails, cleaning ears and daily brushing too. : )

jeffandtina

Post   » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:08 am

Eleanor showed us how to clip nails, clean the gland with a q-tip and mineral oil, and how to check to make sure no bedding is poking in an, um, uncomfortable spot. She's also offered to help me with any of the tasks whenever I need help.

momo, I've been reading your piggies' journal. They are adorable. That Mojo sure looks like a heartbreaker!

akintolife

Post   » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:15 am

They look like lovely boys. I was a bit hesitant about having boys at first too, but apart form the fact my current two boys need a lot more handling to get used to people are are a little skittish, they are just wonderful (my boys are both fosters, although I have a feeling that they might end up with me forever, since Mr Inquisitive lives up to his name so well!).

You'll love having them and I'm sure your family will too. I think sounds like a good thing that you husband might end up gving one more attention than the other - if nothing else it means he's coming around and will end up falling in love with them

jeffandtina

Post   » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:09 pm

Hi

This is Jeff I am the other 1/2 of JeffandTina. Even though Tina sometimes makes me sound like I'm not the animal person I really am, but I guess you could say I'm selective. I am looking forward to tomorrow when we pick up the piggies.

I was holding one last week when we went to look at them and I enjoyed it. They seem a lot easier to handle then the hamsters do.

Oh and by the way I will help clean the cage----LOL

Well I guess that is it for now just wanted to introduce myself, I am sure I will be on here in the future putting up pics of the new additions to our home.

Have a wonderful day all!

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:13 pm

Your cage looks great, and the piggies are adorable. Can't wait to see more of them!

Janey

Post   » Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:04 am

Well, Saturday is here :P (well, atleast here it is)

Can't wait to see photos of them :D

jeffandtina

Post   » Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:30 pm

The boys are here, but very camera shy at the moment. We've only managed to coax them out for a few minutes, and that was just to have some fresh veggies. Should have some pics up sometime tomorrow. Jeff has the camera ready!

jeffandtina

Post   » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:05 am

Here are the boys in their new home. Fox is now known as Spike and we're still trying to come up with a new name for Harvey.

Spike checking out his new hiding spot. Harvey making friends with Mr. Walrus, who also does the potty look out (this is where we found all of the piggie 'presents' this morning).

Not so camera shy when it's chow time.

Both boys out and chowing down.

Tummies are full, and now it's time to relax.

This morning, we had the boys out for a few minutes. I managed to beat Jeff to Spike, so he held Harvey. He even got him out of the cage all by himself, without much of a struggle. Yipee! They both seem content in their new home. We've heard Fox purring and Harvey has carried on a conversation with me. I baby talked him and he made the normal guinea pig squeak. I've also heard him make a 'cooing' noise. Both will also sit still when we put one hand in to pet them, but put that other hand in, and the chase is on. But only for a few minutes.

jeffandtina

Post   » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:23 pm

Well my hardwork paid off. The boys discovered the ramp and the second story of their cage. I am SOOOOOO excited! On a serious note looks like the boys are starting to make their selves at home. Still a little skittish when we try to pick them up but their getting better. Tomorrow we get to attempt our first nail clipping. Guess who gets to hold them??? Well I guess that is all for now will report back tomorrow how the clipping went.

Jeff

57 posts