He finally said yes!!!

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:43 pm

That is an impressive cage, and I am glad the boys have rewarded your hardwork by going up the ramp and enjoying their new home.
Best of luck with your clippings tomorrow. : )

akintolife

Post   » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:54 am

The cage looks great and it sounds like they are settling in very well.

Good luck with the clippings tomorrow! At least you have two people to do it, which has to be much easier than me trying to do all of my piggies by myself.

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:46 am

What cute boys you have. The cage looks great too. Like Akintolife, I get to do all the pigs (7) nails by myself. It's nice that both of you will be doing it. Good luck! The first time is the hardest.

jeffandtina

Post   » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:28 pm

Tonight we managed one foot on each of the boys before they got restless on us. Guess we'll try another foot tomorrow. *sigh

jeffandtina

Post   » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:20 pm

Jeff took some more pictures tonight.

Spike's close up.

Harvey's close up.

Brotherly love.

Yesterday, the boys started begging. And today Harvey was popcorning when he knew it was treat time.

rshevin

Post   » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:17 pm

Spike looks like a satin to me. Is he?

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:55 pm

Spike is a very shiney, glossy guy, isn't he?

The boys look so happy in their new home! Lucky piggies. :)

jeffandtina

Post   » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:18 pm

I know very little about the different breeds of guinea pigs. These two are from the same litter, but they look totally different from one another. And since their parents were bought from a pet store, they've probably got a lot of different breeds in their ancesters.

Spike is very smooth and silky feeling and Harvey is smooth and fluffy. He's also a lot smaller than Harvey. We haven't weighed the boys yet, but by looking at the two, it's hard to believe that they are the same age.

rshevin

Post   » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:34 pm

Ok, I'm pretty sure Spike is a satin if he feels differently from his brother. I don't want you to be scared and it isn't a bad thing, but you do need to be aware that satins can have problems with bone loss. I'm going to go see if there's a page on care guide for you. You also may want to e-mail Mum for some advice. I know one of her pigs is also a satin and she pretty much knows all about most medical issues. It's just one of those things to keep in mind. You might want to make yourself a thread on cavy chat just to say hello since more people read there. You'll get loads of great advice on satin pigs and everything else in the world!

They're both darling! I love the picture where they're all squished up together.

jeffandtina

Post   » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:02 am

Any information would be appreciated.

sweetpea

Post   » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:29 pm

Those beautiful boys look so happy in there new home.

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:57 pm

Satin pigs have a genetic defect that causes their hair shafts to be hollow and theirfore shinier that normal hair. There has been some indication that they are also prone to calcium deficiency so be sure you give a diet that contains some calcium. Parsley has calcium as does kale but go easy on both. The main thing is just to be aware so you can pick up any problems early on and treat as needed. Watch for limping. When/if you get xrays ask them to look closely for evidence of bone loss. I wouldn't worry for now.

jeffandtina

Post   » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:27 pm

We managed to weigh the boys tonight. Spike is 1 lb. 14 oz. and Harvey is 2 lb. 4 oz.

Thank you mkkayla for explaining. The boys get 1 piece of Parsley every other night (includes the stem and bloom). We've also been feeding Romaine daily and Green leaf lettuce every other day.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:56 am

I agree, he does look like a satin.

There's no rush on this, but at some stage you should get a full body xray to check for existing boneloss, or to use as a baseline for future problems.

Your vet may need to use a magnifying glass to check the bones very carefully. In Heddwyn's case it was not necessary, since his bones had a very visible motheaten look, but your boy is younger.

In the meantime, I would just be careful to feed a good diet with the proper ca/ph ratio. You don't want to supplement with calcium unless you see obvious problems, because this would cause other issues.

Be sure to check out the diet section in the Care Guide and feed the greens and other veggies in the correct proportions. As an example, I feed all my pigs a base mix of the following each day:

escarole
endive
green leaf
red leaf
cilantro

Most days they get some red pepper, occasionally one small baby carrot (should be no more than that). You can add small pieces of other veggies on the 'favorite veggies' list, but I would keep the green base pretty consistent.

You said in your email to me you were continuing with the Hartz food fed by the rescue temporarily. Personally, I would dump that food immediately: it's quite possibly the worst food you could be feeding. I would immediately switch to the Oxbow (my pigs actually prefer KM's pellets), and give extra veggies for a while. (Be sure to weigh daily after you switch).

rshevin

Post   » Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:10 pm

That's really good to know about the satins Mum. Thanks so much for posting. I searched through the medical reference and didn't find anything about satins. It might be worthwhile to develop a paragraph at some point. Searching through the forums just gave toooooo many results.

I agree on switching to Oxbow. Hartz is blech.

jeffandtina

Post   » Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:53 pm

We were finally able to find a pet store that carried Oxbow products that is about 40 miles away from where we live. Unfortunately they also carry live pets. They had about 7 guinea pigs up front in a very small display. Several were scratching profusely, and two of them looked very lethargic. Jeff even commented on the condition of some. I felt so sorry for those babies.

rshevin

Post   » Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:00 pm

That's why I order my pellets online. There are several good online retailers with reasonable prices and shipping rates. My personal choice is critterstore.com although there is also the ferret store, and many, many others. I know there are some rabbit rescue groups that resell Oxbow to help support the rescue but I can't remember the name. Which retailer is best for you depends on where you live relative to where they ship from so shop around and check several different places before you decide. I always order 10 pounds at a time but you can get more.

Of course, you can also order kleenmamma's pellets online as well.

It just kills me to have to go into those stores. I'm also lobbying my local pet supply shop to start carrying Oxbow but I doubt it'll happen.

SylvesterPiggie

Post   » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:30 am

Welcome! I just want to say, the SPCA here carries Oxbow products, so you could check yours.

jeffandtina

Post   » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:54 am

I'll have to check. One of the are animal hospitals uses it for patients but doesn't sell it. We're also going to try the local feed mill to see if she would start carrying it.

The drive really isn't a bother. It's in Appleton, which also has a Golden Corral. A good reason to go. I just don't want to support a pet store that keeps it's animals in that condition.

SylvesterPiggie

Post   » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:00 am

What is Golden Corral? I know we have a place here called Goldentails. They sell Oxbow also, and all kinds of good stuff, for all the critters! I have tried to get a few feedstores to carry Oxbow, but they won't!

57 posts