"Mommy, I want a hamster!"

toriandlukesmom2

Post   » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:43 pm

That line is how our story begins. My (almost) five year old was tugging at my hand in a pet store. She had impeccable timing, as my 10 month old was in the process of self-weaning, against my wishes, and I was really craving something small to love on. I told her "Maybe for your birthday".

Google hooks me

I decided to do a little research before aquiring a hamster. That was a good thing, because after few Googles I learned that hamsters are not very good pets for small children.

What now? A lizard? Some fish? NO said my husband- how about a small dog? No, small dog/ crawling baby do not mix. Hmm..let's Google "good pets for small children".

Bingo! "Guinea pig" kept popping up. Keep in mind that as a child I begged my mom for a small animal, but only got so far as anoles-nothing with fur. I have always had at least 1 cat, but no rodents. My husband kept saying "You can get the rodents, but I won't have anything to do with them! I won't take care of them, I won't even touch them!" (Silly cat man!)

As I surfed the 'net, the pictures of the cute-yet-wise-looking cavies just keep tugging at my heart. How could I have not realized how adorable these things are until now? Interestingly enough, Google didn't direct me to Guinea Lynx.

An "early birthday present"

I must admit, this obsession with guinea pigs took over me, while my daughter had to be gently reminded that she wanted a pet. I did come across several articles that said guinea pigs are best in pairs, so I started calling around inquiring for young female pairs. I found some at a locally-owned pet shop.

I convinced myself that Tori really, really needed these babies as an early birthday present. On January 16, 2007, my mother and I took her to the shop as a surprise. She didn't know where she was going until we walked into the store. Tori picked the two cutest babies in the store:

This picture was taken the day after they came home.

Tammy

Post   » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:01 pm

CUTE! That almost sounds like how I ended up with my first guinea pig. I wanted a hamster and then mom and I went to the petshop and SHE fell in love with a guinea pig and convinced me. I was 9 ys old and yes, I loved that giant hamster too =)

Your TSW babies are gorgeous!

toriandlukesmom2

Post   » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:08 pm

Thank you. I am quite smitten :)

Poppygirl

Post   » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:35 am

Is that two piggies in that picture?

I can only see a lot of fur:)

Can't wait to here more!

emjay

Post   » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:28 am

They are gorgeous!

Topaz

Post   » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:53 am

Adorable. They do look like one joined ball of fur in that picture. :)

6 posts • Page 1 of 1