A Wink and a Wheek

Fossil Barb

Post   » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:11 pm

I love the Chronicles because there are so many wonderful and talented writers here and so many cute pictures.

These stories would be so great on a disc to give to grandchildren (and to grandmas too) to learn about piggies. Great job everyone.

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:38 pm

What a bunch of cutie pie pigs. I'm looking forward to seeing them moving into their new home. It's looking pretty cool. But I would second the lino or some other waterproof barrier. Have they met Brick and Mortar? Will you try to house them together?

Acanoffleas

Post   » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:00 pm

No, the boys haven't met their new brothers yet. I'll be taking them along on Sunday (they love their carrier...so silly). The goal is to eventually house them together. We'll see how it goes...

Acanoffleas

Post   » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:50 am

We trekked to New Jersey yesterday to Have-A-Heart Guinea Pig Rescue to pick up Brick and Mortar. The day before I suckered my managers at Petsmart (I work in the grooming salon) into donating some supplies. Overall, I took a big ol' bag of Aspen, hay, some toys and treats, a big bag of oranges, peppers, and two containers of spring mix lettuce along with us. Oh, and Mo and Bear came along, too.

I meant to take pictures during the introductions, but I completely forgot my camera in the car. It went really well! Brick, the smooth white and blonde, seems to be a bit pushy and anxious to lead the group. And of course Bear isn't having it. Luckily my two old men are pretty laid back and let Brick sniff, mount, and chatter his little heart out, but put him in his place when it got out of hand. Mortar is the runt of the group and is more intent on keeping out of the drama. I think they'll all do well together.

Here are some pictures of the new boys with mom:

Mortar and Mom

Brick and Mom

The boys are in a temporary cage right now until the current cage gets some finishing touches. It should be ready for pigs by this evening. Here it is nearly complete. All we need to add is the side and front caging and to attach the roof:

rshevin

Post   » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:45 am

The boys look so cute and in love with their new humans already. I love how Brick is already an expert pancaker. So snuggly.

The new cage is looking good. I'm not positive they can get up that ramp but you can try. You may end up needing to build a little platform and a switchback but from the looks of it. husband (boyfriend?) can do that no problem if necessary.

Acanoffleas

Post   » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:14 pm

We were both curious to see how steep the ramp would end up being...the picture distorts it a bit - it looks steeper than it is. We're going to see how they do with it, and we'll go from there. We've already talked about a platform :)

Yes, the husband is very handy. He's an electrician's assistant and loves to take things apart and build. At one point he wanted to design a lighting and ventilation system for the new cage...ha! Maybe we'll tackle that down the road once we see how the boys take to it!

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:01 pm

The boys look very happy! Your new cage looks wonderful. :)

Acanoffleas

Post   » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:10 am

Well, the cage is all finished and the boys are in! And wow...I haven't seen this much popcorning in a LONG time! They weren't quite sure what to do with themselves at first.

Bear and Mo took the first floor and Brick and Mortar took the top. They haven't figured out the ramp quite yet - I have a feeling we're going to have to put carpet squares or something on it. We moved the new boys downstairs to hang out with the old men for a bit, and we were highly entertained watching them check each other out. At one point all four were running circles around a pigloo butt sniffing each other. That was a good laugh. The cat was highly entertained as well. He's somewhat perturbed that he cant get his little paws in there...to which I squirt him with the water bottle.

So far so good! I haven't had an opportunity to take pictures of the finished product yet. I'm trying out fleece as bedding this time around, and it's all new to me. I'm hoping to figure out a system for it after getting used to this huge 24 square ft. cage. Oye.

rshevin

Post   » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:57 am

Hurry for successful introductions. Can't wait to see pictures. You'll like the fleece. It's a great bedding.

Acanoffleas

Post   » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:27 am

The finished cage:

All the pigs are seeming to enjoy the vast amount of space they have to run around. At his point, Mo is the only one who's figured out the ramp. I think Brick is on to it, but he hasn't yet mustered the courage to give it a try. So now, every time Mo "magically" appears upstairs, Brick has a little fit and Mortar calmly steps aside to stay out of the way. Mo is such an instigator. Always has been and probably always will be...he runs around upstairs, eating their hay and pushing around their pigloo, all the while Brick chases him around, lowly rumbling and wheeking like "Hey! HEY! Whachu doin up heer! Don't eat dat! Dat's mine! HEY!" Then Mo scurries down the ramp and Brick looks down after him, his rumbling continuing like he wants so badly to follow him but can't quite figure out how on earth to get himself down there.

Bear is happy as can be just where he is - in his pigloo downstairs without the whippersnappers harrassing him. Mortar seems to be more intent on just staying out of the way. For example:

I snuck this picture in while he wasn't looking...

This is right after the first flash...

Right before tucking the boys in for bed we sing them a little good night song. Silly, I know, but it's a ritual we've come to know. They're our children after all. :) While I was tucking them in last night, I noticed that Brick kept following me around as I moved around the cage. I thought that was interesting. The other boys never did anything like that, so that's new to me. I snapped a picture of him while he was staring me down:

The more I look at this picture, the more ideas I get on how I could Photoshop it to look silly. I haven't quite figured out Brick's personality yet, so I opted to go with this creative route. Here he is again, only with his little aluminum prison mug, clanging it back and forth against the bars hoping to catch mom's attention to get more carrots:

*HA HA* Oh boy...if my manager here at work REALLY knew what I did with my time...tee hee...

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:13 am

What a fabulous cage! Bear looks so sweet, with his pillow.

Faye

Post   » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:29 pm

AWESOME CAGE!!!
and what adorable piggies.