Snickerspants Productions

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed May 05, 2010 2:35 pm

I just clicked over to the PigCam in time to see Snickers nip at Charlie. Charlie jumped and then dashed down the ramp and threw himself into the downstairs litter box. Snickers then made his way downstairs -- rumblestrutting, but at a bit faster a pace than his usual rumblestrut -- and immediately lay down with his back leaning against the litter box, effectively pinning Charlie.

Are you guys SURE this is normal and not bullying??

Mottle Tuft

Post   » Wed May 05, 2010 2:41 pm

My piggys act that way frequently. They get along but there is still of rumble strutting and nipping. If it happened to my pigs I would think it was normal. :)

MildredM
The-Fairy-in-my-Heart

Post   » Wed May 05, 2010 2:42 pm

What! NO curly endive . . . . . Alden! I am thinking about reporting you to PETA!!! (Piggies Eat Tomatoes And more!)

Maybe get those scales checked, just to be sure.

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed May 05, 2010 2:56 pm

No, they HAD the curly endive... they didn't LIKE it. They'd like to add it to the Not Approved list, along with tomatoes, collard and mustard greens, and dried blueberries.

MildredM
The-Fairy-in-my-Heart

Post   » Wed May 05, 2010 3:00 pm

Those boys are naughty. All those yummy foods! But . . . dried blueberries, hum . . . . we haven't ever tried those. I think Fairy would leave home if we presented a dried anything, she likes juicy foods . . . I wonder if boys are more 'choosy' than girls when it come to food . . . .

I don't quite know what 'collards' are, I keep coming across them in (American) novels . . . are they what we call 'spring greens'?

rshevin

Post   » Wed May 05, 2010 3:11 pm

I don't think collards are "spring greens." Collards are dark green, waxy, wide leaf vegetables in the cabbage family. A collard leaf can easily be as big as your face! Humans can't really eat them raw. They're generally served boiled with bacon or salt pork in the south.

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed May 05, 2010 3:19 pm

Collards were and are a primarily Southern food. Interestingly, in slavery times, the greens were usually reserved for white landowners and the slaves only got the broth. That's interesting because nearly all the nutrition of the collard green leaves the leaf while it's boiling -- making the broth far more nutritious than the supposedly more delicious leaf. It's called "pot likker" and it's still served in many Southern restaurants.

In any case, my boys don't prefer collard greens ANY which way. :)

MildredM
The-Fairy-in-my-Heart

Post   » Wed May 05, 2010 4:13 pm

Gosh, collards sound really good! We sometimes seem to have a dearth of dark green leaves in the UK. None of my guineas has ever liked regular cabbage leaves apart from a pointy small cabbage we call 'Sweetheart cabbage'.

Hope your boys are behaving now, Alden. It is handy having a webcam so you can keep checking in!

rshevin

Post   » Wed May 05, 2010 6:29 pm

That's a good thing Mildred, since cabbage and its cousins can cause rather nasty gas in guinea pigs and they don't generally tolerate gas well.

BeanieBaby11

Post   » Wed May 05, 2010 6:56 pm

Hm, what about escarole and belgian endive?

TexCavy

Post   » Wed May 05, 2010 7:39 pm

When I tried Collard greens with my first pair of boars Simon promptly exclaimed "Oh cool a nap mat" and prceeded to sleep on his. Sidney regarded his leaf as if it were a ticking time bomb. Silly boars. ;)

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed May 05, 2010 11:21 pm

Special for y'all tonight:

Charlie and Snickers insist once again that feeding should come BEFORE poop-picking.

Snickers models the lastest in facial accessories.

... and Charlie says "Harrumpf."

And an extra non-pig bonus: Libby shares a little What I Did Today!