Squeaky Stories! Volume 1

shadowkitten

Post   » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:39 pm

I've been on this forum for about a year now, and been a piggy-mom for about 4.5 years, so I figured it's time to really share some stories with you :)

Note: This Chronicle is in no way condoning buying a guinea pig from a pet store. Please adopt and read http://www.guinealynx.info to know how to properly care for your piggy!

January 2006

Holding that tiny ball of fluff against my chest, I knew this was love. It was just a couple weeks before my 18th birthday, and here I stood, in the middle of a local pet store. Her gray and white hair was the most disheveled I’d ever seen; none of the other guinea pigs there looked like her. Among the many other brown pigs in the small enclosure, she definitely stood out. Her personality was bold as her looks- she just couldn’t stop squeaking while I held her! I couldn’t leave without her, but sadly, my mom could. “We don’t need any more pets” was always her signature phrase. At the time, we already had a dog, a cat, and a hamster in our care.

Glumly, I returned home, but could not stop thinking about the little friend I had left behind. I asked (or perhaps “begged” is the more appropriate word) my mom if we could go back for her. I promised to take care of her, even if it meant getting up extra early before school (and it did!). The next day, I called the store back, and asked if they still had a little white and gray guinea pig. Lucky for me, no one else had snatched up my sweetheart; she was still there! My mom somehow, miraculously, decided we could go back and look at her again.

We didn’t leave without her this time.

Regiane
Cavy Slave Since '08

Post   » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:45 pm

Yay! A new chronicle! :)
More, I need more!

flomopigs5

Post   » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:01 pm

That piggy is so cute! I can't wait to hear more story about the cutie! :)

shadowkitten

Post   » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:27 pm

Thank you Regiane and flomopigs5! :)
===============================
Now that my piggy was safe and sound with me, of course she needed a name! Mom and I thought she looked somewhat like a skunk, with her hair being as it was. Mom voted for the name Flower, like the skunk from the movie "Bambi". However, my 17-year-old self had to be a bit more creative than that!

Well, I thought, a type of flower... hmm... a Magnolia flower! Magnolia it is. Yes, and we'll call her Maggie for short!"

Before my very eyes Maggie started growing up- and her hair started growing, well... down! After reading a couple of books on guinea pigs, I was startled to see what my sweet baby was destined to become... a hairy mop! There was no denying it, I had a Peruvian on my hands.

She always loved cuddling on my lap, and learned to "wheeeeek!" for her veggies very early on in life. She loved running around on the floor and snuggling in my bed. But the time soon came when I had to leave for college, and Maggie couldn't live in a dormitory with me...

GuineaPigGoddess

Post   » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:48 pm

Oh, I cant wait for more stories from you! These are great!

And Miss Maggie sure is beautiful. I've always loved the name Maggie for a pig. :)

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:29 pm

Miss Hairy Mop Maggie is simple adorable. :)
It is always such a joyous thing to see them grow and blossom right before your eyes isn't it?

JaneDoe

Post   » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:52 am

Yes, she is cute.

Debs4Pigs

Post   » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:01 am

Love the pig and the new story!!

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:33 am

Magnolia, aka Maggie, is simply stunning!

flomopigs5

Post   » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:53 am

She is so precious! I can't wait for more stories. :)

shadowkitten

Post   » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:30 pm

Thank you everyone for the compliments! Maggie is very flattered :)
========================================

Time passed, and I left for college, which meant leaving Maggie with my mom. Luckily, my mom has such a soft-spot for piggies, she didn't mind at all. At times, she would even put Maggie on the phone so she could hear my voice, and I could hear her happy squeaks.

Whenever I returned home, Maggie would always "wheeeeeeek!" with delight! I was still her favorite.

Here she is around her first birthday:

Quite some time passed this way, and I often pondered upon ways I could sneak her into my dormitory... Although I never would have had enough gumption to actually do it!

Time passes by so quickly sometimes, and before I knew it, the most wonderful guy in the world came along. We were married, and I asked him if Maggie could come live with us. His motto is "Happy wife, happy life!", which of course meant yes! :)

Where we going mom?

I'll just rest my head here for a bit...

We there yet?

All credit for Maggie's haircut in these photos goes to my mom ;)

Sidera17

Post   » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:45 am

Oh my gosh, if I saw that baby fluffball, I wouldn't leave her either! SO CUTE.

shadowkitten

Post   » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:11 pm

Maggie was home where she belonged, and we built her a roomy C&C cage. Then the search for Maggie's new best friend began! After searching for what seemed like forever, I finally found an ad on the Guinea Pig Adoption Network from a lady who had several pigs she was trying to give away.

About a year earlier, she had responded to an online post from a man who claimed to have 2 "hamsters" needing a home. When she arrived, she told me, there were four guinea pigs on this man's porch- a mom, a dad, and two baby boys. She took them home; the mom was already pregnant again, and later gave birth to 5 sows!

She used to live in the same town I do, so she was even willing to commute here with a couple of pigs for me to look at!

She sent me personality descriptions and photos of each piggy, and I just fell in love when I saw this photo.
Her name was Patches, and she was one year old. The description also described her as a bit timid and submissive, so I thought she would be just the perfect match for my Maggie. I knew Maggie would definitely be dominant, so I wanted to avoid adopting a pig who also wanted to be dominant.

After what felt like an eternity, she arrived in town, and we went to meet her...

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:09 am

Such sweeties!!! Yay, more chronicles!!

GuineaPigGoddess

Post   » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:02 am

She is so cute! I love her markings.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:20 am

More, please!

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:45 pm

I say your mama can really stylin' them hot on the hair! :p
I have a question, what do you do with your store-bought cages after you build a cc?

A friend of ours converted to CC a month ago for her bunny, and she has no clue what to do with the old cage.
It is too big to a carrier (to the vet) and too small to be a playpen in the yard.

Sidera17

Post   » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:36 pm

My store-bought cages become travel carriers. The big one is the sick bay cage.

serelixyue

Post   » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:40 pm

Love your chronicles! Magnolia is SUCH a pretty name:) and Patches has a beautiful pointy face:D

shadowkitten

Post   » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:39 pm

Momo, I use my old petstore cage as a "travel cage" for when we go visiting relatives :)

Thank you pigjes, GPG, and Sere for the compliments on my girls :) That is actually a baby picture of "Patches".

Here's more for you, Bytxlaura...

===========================================
When we met up with "Patches'" mom, she had two sweet pigs for me to meet. One of them, "Freddy", actually escaped into the bushes in her front yard! Luckily, husband was able to help catch her and nothing traumatic happened.

When I met calm, sweet Patches, I knew she was the one. We wrapped our precious gift up in her towel and drove home with her.

One of her first activities at home was to get a bath, of course!
I'm not that dirty, really... why do I need this?

Now, in a house with a guinea pig named Magnolia, "Patches" just wouldn't do. But what could we call her?

Juniper, perhaps?

Just call me Juni!

228 posts