As Told By Maggie - The Story of a Crazy Mommy

maggiemae

Post   » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:59 pm

As Told By Maggie – The Story of a Crazy Mommy

My mommy is a crazy, CRAZY lady. It all started with me, I was just too adorable to resist! Well, at least I was much cuter than a pair of African Dwarf Frogs.

Can you believe she almost got these over my beautiful little face?

Well I suppose that was because she hadn’t met me yet. In fact, mommy was one of those little girls obsessed with guinea pigs. She begged Grandma for one of us for years. She even spent her book fair money on a guinea pig book one year, but grandma always said no. Well little did grandma know that Mommies wheels turned in her head when she caught wind that she could FINALLY have a pet of her own. And when Mommies wheels turn, watch out!

You see, a Meditating African Dwarf Frog turned into a hamster. Then after a lot of debate, well, a hamster magically turned into me. Something the size of a quarter turned into a ginormous piggy paradise, slowly, of course, so as not to alarm the grandparents TOO much. (Although, you should have seen Grandma’s face when she came home from work to find me!)

Secretly we both knew I had won the heart of everyone in the house with my good looks and innocent eyes. Did I ever mention I am a master of manipulation? They had no idea what they were getting into! Especially Daddy, but that is a story for another day!

So mommy took the last of her graduation money and went to the pet store. She got everything the lady told her and didn’t scrimp on cage size. Mommy bought me the biggest, prettiest cage she could find. Mommy blew thought that graduation money like there was no tomorrow but I wasn’t going to complain. Her baby had to be spoiled!

Sometimes Mommy got nervous, I could tell, she had no idea I would cost so much, and art majors weren’t swimming in employment opportunities. However, her love for me shown with flying colors as she searched for a job and soon after became a substitute teacher. Poor Mommy, even I know there are better jobs in the world than that!

As mommy learned to take care of me she learned some more things. Suddenly my giant pet store cage became a shoe box.

Mommy enlisted the help of Daddy, and a fresh pay check, and off they went to find me some grids and coroplast!

I was the happiest piggy ever in my new 2x3 cage! As usual Grandma came home from work to find that more of her house has disappeared to my cute little wobbly booty. Mommy knew deep down inside she wanted to make a ramp and a second level but grandma’s face had her worried so she gave it some time.

Of course, Mommy is kind of like me, when she wants something bad enough she finds a way. A couple weeks later, Mommy found a way to get Grandma excited about a second level! Thanks Guinea Pig Cages! And sure enough, along comes Daddy and tada! A second level!

I loved my new space! I developed the BEST routine ever! When Mommy came in the room I would wheek. When Mommy gave me food and pellets I would wheek. When the fridge opened I would wheek. When it was about darn time Mommy woke up to feed me already I would wheek until my little lungs gave out! My absolute FAVORITE place to wheek at my humans was perched at the top of my ramp.

From there I felt like the queen of the world! However, what is a queen when she has no one to rule over? Well, except for Mommy, but she was a given.

I think I demanded too much of my Mommy because one day she put me in this big blue box with a door. I was sure I was going back to the pet store! I was so scared and confused! A while later mommy was pulling me back out of my hiding spot and plop I went into an arena with what at first looked to be a big white furry cantaloupe. MMMmm I love cantaloupe. Speaking of food, I remember then noticing a pile of veggies and, Oh My GOSH! My favorite veggies ever! CARROTS!!!!

Of course you can imagine my surprise as this big white mass moves towards me and my foodies. That’s when I saw her big bulgy grey eye looking right at me.

“A FRIEND!” I squealed as I walked up to say hi. I must admit, looking back, my enthusiasm was a bit embarrassing. Most piggies bow in my presence and greatness but this one just seemed aloof to what was going on around her. After a while I decided to try and get some veggies before the vacuum of a piggy I later came to know as Indra ate them all.

The first few days were rough. She simply wanted nothing to do with me and was afraid of EVERYTHING! I tried to tame her into submission with my cuddly antics, nosy sniffing and flying pee bombs but she staked out her corner and claimed it for her own.

I tried and tried to sneak in for a cuddle but Indra never gave in! >:(

That was when it happened. Mommy! Mommy!

I ran to her when she came home for attention, my hair in a clump on the cage floor. My BEAUTIFUL hair! How could she! “Mommy!” I cried with my pretty eyes as mommy lifted me out of my cage, “See what that mean lady did to me?!?!” Mommy about had a heart attack when she saw the clump of hair missing from my otherwise perfect rosette.

“What did you do to her?!?” Mommy asked me in an accusing tone. Me? Me?!?!? “It was all her!” I tried to explain but who was I kidding, Mommy doesn’t speak piggy! Mommy freaked out and asked lots of piggy people for advice. They all told her it would be fine and she trusted them. Come to find out eventually Indra came to terms with my greatness and learned her place in the world with all the other less talented, beautiful and smart piggies out there.

…. Even if it did take some torture from Mommy and the “swimming pool”.

We still fight every now and then but ANYTHING is more tolerable than reliving THAT experience!

So there we were two guinea pigs in a life of luxury. We had one amazing full time Mommy and a cuddly and loving part time Daddy to love us and attend to our every need. Although sometimes excessive, like that time Mommy took me to the evil man with all the scary objects because I had bald spots behind my ears (come on Mommy, really?!?!) I knew we were in good hands.

Mommy tells me I talk too much and that I should use my vocal energy for something useful. So check back soon because there is much more to tell, but it is time for Mommy to go back to work!

weggie

Post   » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:04 pm

Loveing the chronicle so far Maggie, looking forward to more pics!

serelixyue

Post   » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:07 pm

omg what a cute bunch! I love your pig, black and white duo :) I once yanked a big chunk outta my Pompom while brushing her, it freaked me out SO much because it really was a big clump:S I thought she had fungal infection because that's when hair gets tugged out easily...but everything was fine:P

Hunybee

Post   » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:21 pm

Poor Maggie. I could actually feel that clump being pulled out. I don't like that other piggie......lol

They are both so adorable.

Sidera17

Post   » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:14 pm

Oh! I love Maggie and Indra! What a great start to the chronicle! :D

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:32 pm

Hello Maggie and Indra. Looking forward to reading more about the both of you. I loved the photo of Maggie looking through the grids, just after she lost a chunk of hair. She really looks like she needs some serious cuddling.

Aggie

Post   » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:45 pm

Your two look SO MUCH like my two!! How exciting!! (Well I get excited about silly little things like these, anyway) :) The only differences are that Maggie has a white crest while Hannah has black bangs, and Indra is all white while Chloe is white and blonde. But even their personalities seem to be the same!

Just look at the similarities!

I say in a completely biased manner, your girls are so adorable :) I can't wait to read about all their adventures!

Debs4Pigs

Post   » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:51 pm

Maggie you are very adorable and expressive. And I love Indra's pretty white coat.

maggiemae

Post   » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:25 pm

Aggie: Wow, I am speechless looking at that photo! I love it! They look SO much alike. I will have to show my boyfriend!

Maggie and I sit down to read the cavy chronicles all the time. Maggie finally decided she just couldn't live with herself if she didn't make one also!

Thanks everyone, Maggie looks forward to updating soon! There is still LOTS more to tell. :) And MANY more picture.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:41 am

Love the chronicle!!!

TexCavy

Post   » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:43 am

Omg! I was loving this story already till I came to the taming with flying pee bombs part. Now, I love it even more! I love their names very much too. And the first pic of Maggie is my fave so far.

maggiemae

Post   » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:27 pm

So Mommy took us out tonight to check out her new kitchen scale!

Ooooh Aaaah!

Before she used the non-digital kitchen scale Grandma and Grandpa used to measure out tile grout material. Not so pretty, and not so accurate.

Mommy had to put up with grandma laughing at her too. All month she has been talking about getting a new scale and a salad spinner! Sure enough Mommy goes in search of a kitchen scale at walmart and magically there is a salad spinner sitting right next to it!

Mommy gets so excited about the silliest things.

However, as usual, despite my rounded furry appearance Indra still trumps my weight by 52 grams! Mommy has a bet going with Daddy about whose piggies weigh more.

“But that just makes me all the more cuddly looking Mommy!!!!!” - Indra

Ooops, well, I guess I spoiled the surprise. Now I have to explain..

So, you see, Mommy has us. We started it all. But Mommy is a crazy crazy lady and like I said before… When the wheels in Mommies head turn, they don’t stop!!!!

Mommy broke the cardinal rule of GPAA (Guinea Pig Adopters Anonymous) and checked out petfinder one day. She watched it for a while actually, and after a while she noticed the shelter near her had this guinea pig listed for months.

Mommy knew the shelter was nothing like the guinea pig rescues she had grown to love over the last few months so she kidnapped Daddy and went to make sure the poor piggy was being taken care of!

Daddy predicted the outcome, despite Mommy’s denial the whole way there! That is when Mommy made Daddy adopt his first piggy, Lucy. WAIT, I am sorry, Mommy corrected me.. Lucy LuLu.

“Hello!” - Lucy

Did I ever mention my mommy has an AWFUL habit of giving her pets a middle name? I am just glad mine isn’t “Pants” like another poor and unfortunate member of the household… But that is a story for another day..

“You call me “Pants” and I’ll eat you!” – Sadie Pants

Mommy came home that day and told us about all the scary kitties sticking their paws in Lucy’s shelter cage! At least Sadie doesn’t stick her paws anywhere NEAR us! ::sigh of relief::

She said she didn’t have any hays to nummy and probably nothing even close to the right kind of food! I can’t imagine what I would do if my foodies weren’t a small wheek and a popcorn away!!! Mommy gave us nightmares for wheeks!

Mommy said they had to go get some special num nums because Lucy couldn’t poopy. A guinea pig not POOPING?!?! Half of Indra’s body weight is poops! Lucy didn’t even have half her body weight to spare for poopies.

“Enough with the fat jokes! I am just big boned! And I can’t help that I have one of the worlds BEST digestive systems EVER… Just consider me talented!” – Indra

Talented is one way to put it Indra.. You did this in all of what? Ten seconds? Looking a little guilty there aren’t you?!?!

“MOMMY PUT ME IN WARM WATER!!! I COULDN’T HELP IT!” - Indra

Okay okay... Relax, no one cares about your poop.... ::wink wink::

Anyway…

Mommy spent all weekend calling vets and talking to piggy people. She was so worried. She read about piggy nails because I guess Lucy’s nails were encrusted with something and her feet were dyed black from the newspaper she was on. I am sure the metal cage bottom didn’t help her little feetsies either.

After two days Mommy was certain she would be driving Lucy to the vet in the morning, but thankfully she came home with good news instead. Lucy pooped! They were little, and they were few, but they were there.

It took Lucy a couple weeks to become an expert poop leaver like Indra and I, but better late than never right?!?! It took even longer for her feet and nails to clear up.

Is she pooping?!?!?

Now Lucy is a happy little piggy with a big huge belly and some skinny little butt cheeks.

However, what is a piggy without a friend?!?

After months of debate Daddy announced to Mommy they were having another Piggy! Mommy was so excited she could barely contain herself! I have to admit I got a little nervous. What if Mommy loved the new piggy more than ME?!?!?!

One day they hopped in Mommy’s car and off to (I think Naperville, IL) they went in search of some Sunshine!

Upon arrival Mommy darted to the bathroom because as usual she was running late and didn’t bother to go before she left….. ::sigh::

When she came back there was this big furry Buddha piggy getting her nails clipped and crying her little eyes out. Mommy of course didn’t recognize the amazingly cute furry belly at first, but she about had a heart attack when she found out it was her Sunshine!

Meet Sunshine Rae aka Lil’ Buddha:
“Who are you?!?!? Where am I?!?!? WHAT IS GOING ON!!!!!” – Sunshine

"SAVE ME LUCY!!!!" - Sunshine

Of course Mommy doesn’t love Sunshine more than me. I mean who could love ANYTHING more than me?!?! I don’t even know how I thought that. I’m Mommy’s little angel!!

But I think Mommy has a special place in her heart for Sunshine’s poof fur and buggy eyes that no one but her can fully understand.

Oh, and I guess she has some cute piggy lips too…… :/

So there you have it folks. The crew is all introduced! WHEW that took forever!

Mommy says hopefully some day we will all get to meet each other but for now it is best we share them or Mommy might go more crazy than she already is, which, according to Daddy, would land her in a padded room with a nice warm jacket. Whatever that means… Silly humans.

Well, anyway, stay tuned because Mommy has to show you what she was busy doing to our cage this week, find out what Indra's new obsession is, and get a sneak peak in the lives of Lucy and Sunshine as they host their own little update via Daddy's house.

serelixyue

Post   » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:52 pm

oh, this thread is still page 1 and I just know I'm gonna be a fan:P look at all those gorgeous piiggies, I love that last pic, I canNOT resist piggy lips and chin fluff!!

Mottle Tuft

Post   » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:14 pm

I love your stories! Your piggies are so cute. :D

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:09 am

More!! More!!

maggiemae

Post   » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:14 am

Where to start?!? Well Mommy’s camera battery died while over at Daddy’s house so Lucy decided her update should be postponed. However, to make Sunshine feel better Mommy has these for you (I guess Mommy’s camera didn’t want to work right either so she wants to apologize for the blurriness):

Mommy has been a busy lady the last few weeks. Not only does Mommy work two part time jobs and take care of us but she has also started a couple new hobbies! Mommy’s long term goal is to open an Esty shop soon! Right now she is working on a logo and perfecting her piggy products, which we like because we get lots of fun stuff to play with!
What we don’t like so much is the photo shoots that go along with them…

Also, a more short term and stressful goal of hers is to make a guinea pig calendar for her family. Mommy says everyone just LOVES those homemade Christmas presents! ;)

Mommy is so excited about this project. She has spent many hours and many $$ making us little hats and scenes. It is nice to see her so happy despite the negative comments she receives about it.

However, then Mommy takes us out of the cage and points that evil camera at us. Indra either loves it or hates it. She can be SUCH a little ham sometimes, no pun intended! I on the other hand am VERY vocal about my disapproval of my talents. While I am one to be admired and adored, I allow it at my own discretion. I spend most of my time eating Indra’s booty fur, tearing down pieces of the set and giving Mommy the stink eye.

This time Mommy took us to this REALLY weird looking park..

Indra didn’t really seem into it at first. I of course spent my time exploring and destroying while Indra slowly came out of her shell.

Eventually Mommy started to give up which, of course, is when we start doing cute piggy things..

Mommy always seems more frustrated when she tries to take pictures of both of us. Or even when she tries to take pictures of me….. I don’t get it….

I asked Mommy last night why Sunshine and Indra get to show off her piggy lips all the time and I don’t. She told me that no one can ever see my piggy lips. So we looked for a picture of Maggie lips, and the searched, and eventually we decided to just take some. So we tried…

And we tried…

And we tried some more until we came up with this. Ladies and Gentlemen I present you with the best picture Mommy has ever gotten of my nonexistent piggy lips (with a little teefies mixed in)…

Mommy wants me to add that she knows I have what looks like a booger sticking out of my nose and that is what her vet has called a “skin tag” that just pulls off and comes back after a little while. It is just too small for Mommy to get to right now. Boy did that scare the pants off her when I got it for the first time! I also had a little snack...... And Mommy took the picture before I could clean all the yummies off....

(Mommy drove Indra and I and hour away to the vets! They took me into the scary room where the scary lady picked me up and plucked it right off my little nose. I didn’t even know what hit me! Then the lady said something about it being $300 and they all laughed… I don’t know what could have POSSIBLY been funny about the whole situation! My poor little heart….)

So Mommy wanted to give you all a tour of the cage newly remodeled cage but Sadie Pants is in time out for showing too much interest in me (BOY did Mommy get MAD at HER!) and Mommy got too tired to take the pictures so we are going to leave that for another day. And maybe Mommy will feel like telling you all about her newly developing battles with my new best friend Ms Kitty Kitty Sadie.

Oh and Mommy almost forgot. Indra’s new obsession!!

Mommy bought us a hammock probably 6 months ago. Neither of us ever wanted to use it, but we LOVED to hide under it. So eventually the hammock turned into the upstairs kitchen hidey spot!

Well…….. SOMEONE finally discovered its greatness..

She lays in it ALL the time now..

And of course, Indra discovered it slowly… And in her own “special” way.

Mommy encouraged Indra to stick her foot INSIDE the hammock while she laid down… But only after she got a couple shots of how ridiculous it all looked.

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:54 am

What great shots of your girls. Maggie, I do see your lips, that was a really nice shot mummy got of you. Glad to see that the hammock is a hit with Indra.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:19 pm

Oooh, the majikal hammock!
I love the "special" way, with the footsie dangling, so cute.

maggiemae

Post   » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:29 pm

Hello!!!!

Mommy had a VERY busy week! She is working more, so I am keeping my tosies crossed we get lots of goodies for Christmas. Mommy is having a hard time coming up with ideas though. What could two spoiled little piggies possibly need?!?!

So Mommy and I wanted to give you a tour of our clean cage! We LOVE this cage more than any other cage we ever had!

So lets see, we went from pet store cage to 2x3. Then from 2x3 to 2x3 with a 1x2 kitchen. THEN, we went to a one level 3x5 but Sadie showed up at Mommy's doorstep all sad and attention starved so Mommy had to change our cage to a kitty proof, piggy safe 3x4 with a 1x4 kitchen and we LOVE it!

This is our cage!

Mommy and Daddy spent a long time designing this cage. It is VERY accessible. The whole roof and part of the side come off for cleaning and grabbing us as we play hide and seek!

This is how the roof coils up and sits when the cage is open.

Then you put the big long pole in the grids and...

You put more of the roof down!

Then you can put it down even more so only a little bit of the front is open. This is how it is when we get our foodies!

And here it is all closed up! However, Mommy doesn't really trust everything. She has little latches on the top incase the poles move and a latch on the front so kitty kitty can't open it up and gobble us up!

The red latch is like the ones all over the cage!

We also have a different ramp on our cage after the uhm.. uhh... "scary" incident.

So here is our ramp.

This is where we drink most of our waters!

And this is where we plays!

HI!!!!!

We even have our name on our cage!!!!

Mommy had the fleece for our ramp in the washing machine. We usually have fleece there because we like to poop and pee down the decline so it doesn't touch our booties. Which is kind of what led to the "scary incident" but Mommy doesn't like to talk about that. We didn't think Mommy would live through it, but she is still around, with just a small phobia, but Mommy develops new and weird quirks every day!!

This week we need to finish up our calendar so Mommy can get those printed up for Christmas. I told her she needs to post picture of our seasonal photo shoots! So stay tuned!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:37 pm

They are adorable!

178 posts