Life according to Alice

Breadfan4

Post   » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:55 am

That's great news!

linshad02
Supporter in '13

Post   » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:54 pm

My heart is so heavy and the hurt just too much right now to get through a story about my Latte. I cry at random times and hurt like crazy.
This was given to me and I want to share it.
The author is unknown so I can't give proper credit.

Just this side of heaven is a place called the Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to the Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine and our friends are warm and comfortable. All the animals who had been I'll and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; his eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together.

Author Unknown

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:20 pm

I love the Rainbow Bridge story. I came across a site years ago where you can put up a memorial tribute for free. I have several stories about pets there. I tried to link to the site www.in-memory-of-pets.com but it's not working. I hope it's temporary and the site is back up soon.

linshad02
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:06 am

It's been almost 3 weeks since we lost our Latte.
Alice goes back and forth between what seems to be indifference and lonliness.
I put a fleece in the cage that I forgot to wash in the last load of pig laundry and it smelled like Latte. Alice sniffed every inch of that fleece and even popcorned on it. She then tried to move it. I assume, in the hope that her friend would be just under it.
That perked her up for the rest of the day and she ate her veggies better than she has lately.

It's been a struggle to get her to eat enough. She goes after the veggies with gusto but always leaves some. She never, ever finishes them. Could she be leaving some out of habit? The girls always ate from the same bowl. Alice always waited for Latte to get up the ramp or out of the hay before she started eating.

She is still wheeking, just not as much. She certainly isn't as noisy as she was when she had Latte. No more making a big stink when she gets in the hay, to announce her arrival. (Or perhaps, it was to see if Latte would come chase her out).
She used to walk around purring like a lovestruck kitten. She only purrs now when I pet her.

I am working on a buddy for her but it's going to take a little time. In the meantime, we are spending a ton of time with her and keeping her occupied until we find a friend.

linshad02
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:57 pm

9 months ago, I happened to be looking at the Charlotte Animal Control adoption page. From the time we lost our precious Latte until a morning in Mid-March, I searched and searched for another buddy for Alice.
That morning, I saw an adoption ad for a sweet white and orange pig named Rosie. The ad said she was 1-1/2 years old. I emailed and then called and told them I would be there after work to adopt her.

I sprung this tiny little girl from Animal Control and said "Come on, Rosie girl. You are coming home with me."
Once home, I held this scared little pig. She was, at most, 6 months old. Looking at all of the papers sent with me, I saw that they had made a typo. After the standard quarantine, I did introductions. Alice made it clear that she was in charge of the place. Rosie was all too happy to go along with that plan. After a few near misses and some spraying, i plopped them in the cage together and it has been blissful ever since. Rosie has bonded to Alice and Alice to Rosie.
The girls are very demanding of treats. They aren't very good liars, as evidenced below.

They like to make everyone think they are starving and never get fed. Their chins tell a different story. They got a bath last weekend but you can't tell.
Rosie is now over a year old. I feel awful for missing her birthday. Life sometimes takes over and you ignore the little things that make life worth living.
I miss my Big Yellow Pig every day. I think she would be happy that Alice isn't lonely and depressed.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:33 pm

Oh, I'm so happy they are friends!

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:02 pm

Rosie sounds lovely and it really does make a difference when they have a friend.

linshad02
Supporter in '13

Post   » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:08 am

I have been so busy with rescue that I haven't posted much lately.
On July 3rd, I had to say goodbye to Alice. I found a tumor in her abdomen in April and it was decided she was too old to remove it. Alice lived to be 6 years, 6 months and 3 days. She was born January 1st, 2011. She has a beautiful urn that sits on top of my main cage and she looks over her cage mates, Rosie, Copper, Caprica and Layla, as well as the numerous fosters that come through.
She will forever be my favorite pig. My girls had a hard time figuring out who would be in charge so they all work together. Rosie is 4 and blind from Cataracts so the other 3 take turns looking out for her. One of these days I will upload some photos.
Anyone that is on Facebook can look me up and friend me. Linda Shadoan. My cover photo is a memorial to my best friends husband who passed away suddenly, in April.
I have tons of pictures of my pigs there and on Instagram.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:39 am

I'm sorry for your loss. It sounds like she had a wonderful long life with you.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:07 am

I'm so sorry you lost Alice. It's heartbreaking to lose a pet who has been with you for so long.

Rest in peace, Alice. You are loved and missed.