There and back again - A piggy slave's tale

Brainerror

Post   » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:22 am

I didn't really think about it when I bought them, but glad they match them so well :D

Keep squee and Scruffles in mind today as we're off to the vet. Scruffles is in for a repeat x-ray to rule out stones and to see how bad her arthritis is.

Squee is in for a lump and because she's been rumbling for over 3 weeks now we are checking for ovarian cysts.

serelixyue

Post   » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:21 am

At least they are all health issues you are familiar with, D :) I know you'll take good care of them, *prays*

Brainerror

Post   » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:50 pm

Yeah, but surgeries are always scary and scruffles' arthritis is really bad...

Anyway, it's been postponed to Tuesday as our vet wasn't available :/

SwtMelly

Post   » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:18 pm

Those are super cute, may have to order some crash pads while I'm in England for Xmas.

Brainerror

Post   » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:49 pm

ohhh whereabouts??

Brainerror

Post   » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:25 pm

Scruffles is on metacam & glucosamine, squee is booked in for a spay in 2 weeks time.

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:52 pm

All the best for Squee's operation. I hope Scruffles is feeling better - she's such a trooper.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:20 pm

Good luck Squee!

Brainerror

Post   » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:26 pm

Scruffles resting her knobbly arthritic legs..

clairey

Post   » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:33 pm

Ah, that looks comfy. *blows a kiss at the top of Scruffles' fuzzy head*

Crazy4me

Post   » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:53 pm

Scruffles has the right idea, AWWW that feels so good!

tashab

Post   » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:37 pm

Scruffles is such a lovely pig

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:55 pm

Scuffles looks like she is waiting for her masseuse :-)

Brainerror

Post   » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:49 am

She gets physio, does that count? ;)

I just watched my OH leave to take Squee to the vet to get a spay done because of her ovarian cysts... Scruffles went with her for company.

Please keep her in mind. It's been a while since one of ours went under the knife and even though now I'm working at a zoo I've seen many procedures done with a safe outcome, I'm still very anxious.

I suppose it's always different with your own. I'll know later today how things paned out.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:51 am

Fingers crossed and good thoughts!

akintolife

Post   » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:18 am

Hope everything goes well.

MildredM
The-Fairy-in-my-Heart

Post   » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:22 am

Oooh! Lots of good wishes, Squee. Hurry home soon xxxxx

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:36 am

Can imagine how nervous you must be feeling. Healing vibes and best wishes for Squee's recovery.

anthropolyte

Post   » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:38 am

A small update on Squee whilst Brainerror is working hard at the zoo.

I dropped Squee off (with Scruffles as an ever-steady companion) this morning in order to have an x-ray and potential spay carried out. The vet called me about half an hour ago, and the x-ray came back clean; nothing abnormal at all (although apparently her guts are full of food, which is good!).

She advised that the cyst that was felt by the original vet did not show up on the x-ray, and since it's so small, she's given us the option of going ahead with a chemical spay via a hormone implant. The vet has apparently carried out this procedure in many guinea pigs, all in order to treat polycystic ovaries, and in all cases they found that the cysts actually disappeared after a short period of time.

The implant should last up to two years, although that can obviously vary, and essentially it shuts down all hormone production, thus having the same effect as a hysterectomy with regards to hormones. Since this is ultimately the aim of the spay, and since it carries far less risk to Squee, we've decided to go ahead and opt for this alternative.

Only one side effect has been noted: apparently for the first two weeks, since the hormone balance will be way off normal, Squee is likely to be very sexually aggressive (more so than she has been recently). However this will very quickly stop once the third week has been reached. Sounds like her cage mates may be hoping for that third week to come around very quickly!

The procedure is going to be carried out this afternoon using a very brief general anaesthesia (just long enough to allow for the use of a very large needle to place the implant), and they will then dress the resulting wound and we can take her back home.

It will be interesting to see how things turn out - we'll make sure to keep you updated!

MildredM
The-Fairy-in-my-Heart

Post   » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:40 am

The implant sounds really good. No invasive surgery or anaesthesia and all the worry involved with those procedures. I really hope it does the trick. Two weeks will soon pass and then hopefully everything will settle down.

More good wishes to a very brave Squee!

982 posts