There and back again - A piggy slave's tale

clairey

Post   » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:47 am

That does sound like a far less worrying option for little Squee. Hope it all goes well for her.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:37 am

anthropolyte, that sounds fascinating! Any chance you and Brainerror could do up some detailed info that I could add to a thread in the Records forum? Exactly what it is, where it was implanted, and if possible how the vet found out about this procedure (a veterinary magazine or reference of any sort?).

anthropolyte

Post   » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:48 am

Sure thing - I'll make sure to ask about the chemical / hormone compound they use. According to the vet, they implant it just under the skin on the back of the animal using a large needle; much the same as in human contraceptive implants, apparently. I'll see what I can find out about where they got the idea; she did mention something about it having been used in ferrets, but I'm sure she'll elaborate further.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:02 am

I can also set Brainerror up with a Records account if she wants to sign up and post the info herself (they are editable files so she can include updates on how well it works for Squee).

Doesn't have to be anything fancy. I could also add something to the ovarian cysts and Snowflake's spay page after I have more details.

Edit - doing a search on ferrets and chemical spays, I ran across mention of an implant that lasts at full effect about a year. So it may be something like a slow release drug that is not permanent.

http://www.virbacferretsusa.com/about-suprelorinf-implant

tashab

Post   » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:04 pm

Good luck to Squee!

Jenone

Post   » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:20 pm

I haven't had a chance to post about it yet, but my Pixel had this exact same procedure done 4 weeks ago, with very good results. I think the drug is suprelorin. (I'll post this elsewhere as I don't mean to hijack Squee's experience!)

Good luck Squee!

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:06 pm

Continued best wishes to Squee. Glad that your vet offered the implant option as oppossed to surgery.

anthropolyte

Post   » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:25 am

Suprelorin is indeed the implant they used, as Lynx surmised. Whilst in ferrets it lasts about a year, I've been advised that it lasts about two years in cavies. Additionally there's a larger implant that can be placed, which can last anything up to four years - however this is only considered if the smaller implant has good results. If it does, we will probably have the larger implant put in next time it's required (if her symptoms return).

Unfortunately I only saw a nurse yesterday rather than the vet who carried out the treatment, so I'm going to ask if they can send me some information in order to write up a full report on the procedure.

Squee is now back home and eating normally - she seems completely nonplussed, which is pretty much her standard attitude to life it seems. Fingers crossed everything will go to plan over the next few weeks!

poppycorn

Post   » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:16 am

I'm glad she's alright. ((many hugs))

Brainerror

Post   » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:45 am

We've had guinea pig drama this morning :(
Squee was separated from the others for a week to let her recover from the procedure and let her incision heal up.
This morning I put her back in with the others after a cage clean and all hell broke loose.
Nibbler really went for Squee which in turn riled up Chubbles.. long story shor poor Squee has a puncture wound on the right side of her mouth and was bleeding profusely (her poor wee mouth was filling up with blood :( ). I've cleaned/compressed it with saline solution which I'll repeat after work. I have baytril & metacam in case it gets infected or forms an abscess elsewhere (which is what happened last time she got bitten).

Even after separating Squee back out Chubbles was still irate and kept attacking Nibbler, so now Chubbles is separate too!

Sigh..

So my little family is torn apart atm. I hope a buddy bath & floor time later today will settle things.

Any other suggestions? I mean, Squee must smell different now because of her massive hormone change, but she was only separated by grids in the cage, so they knew she was there?? Strange wee critters.

MildredM
The-Fairy-in-my-Heart

Post   » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:44 pm

Oh heck. Poor Squee. Well, I would agree, it must be the smell . . . hormone or even just from being at the vet. I hope a municipal bath puts things right again. What a saga . . . feel better soon, Squee xxx

clairey

Post   » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:50 pm

A buddy bath (or at least a quick sponge down of all parties) has generally done the trick for me. Something about vets and meds seems to make pigs smell very different when they return to the cage.

Poor Squee. Like she's not had enough to cope with.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:51 pm

Poor Squee. She didn't deserve this! I hope whatever you choose, they do eventually get along again.

Brainerror

Post   » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:04 pm

We did some supervised floor time and every time one got upset I'd smooth them until calm. Also, a small pile of cilantro/coriander bonded them. After 45 min all was back to normal and they're united in they're cage again! Silly pigs.

Squee seems ok and her bite has healed up well, no swelling or hotness. Fingers crossed!

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:09 pm

Poor Squee and hope her bite continues to heal well. Horray that everyone is back together. Long may this continue.

Brainerror

Post   » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:56 pm

Squee is healing up well..

.. but her hormones made her pull hair out.

Brainerror

Post   » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:04 pm

Squee's all healed up now and her behaviour is slowly getting less extreme each day. Good signs so far.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:11 pm

Great! You rock, Squee!

poppycorn

Post   » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:07 pm

Yay for Squee!! :D

Brainerror

Post   » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:49 pm

Today the girls got an early xmas present: new fleece!

And Scruffles is not feeling the xmas cheer...

982 posts